Southern Coast Oregon
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I would share,

Italian Toscana Soup

1 lb bulk Italian sausage (spiced)
1/2lb to 1 lb package of Bacon smoked
2-3 large russet potatoes
**Garlic (I used the extra large containers of dehydrated garlic slices from Costco)
**Onion (I used the extra large containers of dehydrated onion slices from Costco)
Water
Chicken broth 32 oz
Kale
**Italian bled spice (I used the extra large containers of dehydrated Italian bled spice from Costco)
Cayenne pepper
Heavy cream if desired

Start by frying the bacon (well cooked, but not to crispy). While the bacon is cooking, peel your potatoes and dice into quarter size pieces. Place potatoes into a soup pot and cover with about 1 ½ inches of water. Put the potatoes on high you want them to boil and cook down the potatoes. Next I add a cap of Italian seasoning, a cap of dehydrated garlic, a cap of dehydrated onion (if using fresh 2 cloves of garlic and a whole small onion, fry up with some of the bacon grease for flavor). Once the bacon finishes cooking I place it on a paper towel to dry (it took me two batches to cook all of the bacon). I then break it into bite sized pieces and added it to the soup pot, by this time the soup pot had boiled down a lot of the water so I added the carton of chicken broth. I then reduced the heat of the soup pot to medium. I added the sausage to the frying pan and sprinkled ground cayenne pepper on the sausage (I sprinkled about ¼ of a tsp and still really didn’t taste it, so I think somewhere between ¼ - ½ tsp would work well) Fry up the sausage, spoon the cooked sausage onto a paper towel to drain the grease off. Add to the pot. Bring the soup pot back up to a boil. Next I washed the bunch of kale thoroughly. I then cut about 2 cups up and tossed it into the soup pot. It takes about 2 minutes to soften the kale (it’ll be bright green). Serve the soup in soup bowls leave room for cream (if you’d like) I poured about 1-2 TBLS of cream over the soup. It just makes it creamer. (today I had the left over soup without the cream and it was just as good, so next time I will probably skip the extra calories). Enjoy

**I use the cap as a measuring device I would guess it’s about 4 TBLS. Here on the coast garlic & onion powder just don’t store well so I switched to dehydrated slices and I like the consistency much better in soups when I am pushed for time.

We made the soup last night and the flavor is wonderful. You could easily reduce the meat and double or triple the veggies.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  04:36:56 AM  Show Profile
What a nice recipe...thank you for sharing, my husband is Italian, he always appreciates when I can make something that maybe, just maybe, his grandmother would have made. Jamie Ann Pacione
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  10:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Sounds like a perfect dish for today...sleet, snow mix, cold...can't believe it is April!!!!!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Italian Toscana Soup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page