True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:37:40 AM  Show Profile
This is a new swap that I just found through a friend's blog:

http://hogwarts-sock-swap.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

For Knitters who are also Harry Potter fans and can't wait to read the 7th book this summer! I'm terribly excited about this one...fun!

Catherine (Hufflepuff)

My Blog: http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
My Etsy Shop: http://yogurtandgranola.etsy.com

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:59:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Catherine! I want to do this one so bad!!! My husband and I love Harry Potter and can't wait for the book to come out, have it pre-ordered. Of course, I kind of don't want to read because I don't want it to be over. But those are probably issues for another forum!

Anyway, I have never knitted socks before. Yes, yes, my hot sock yarn is still in my stash waiting to be used. I'm intimidated by them. So, since you are a veteran sock knitter. What do you think? Could I bust out a decent pair of socks even though I've never knitted them before? I so want to do this swap! Does this make us the Harry Potter version of Trekkies?

-Megan
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile
YES. Yes, Megan, I totally think you can and should do this swap! Knitting socks is not hard and there are a million ways to do it. I so wish that Ohio was closer to Minnesota so that we could get together for a lesson, but you'll just have to try Silver's Sock Class instead:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Intro.htm

Also, do a search on the web or start directly at http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com to find "easy" and "beginner" sock patterns. There are so many out there. If you know how to knit in the round on double-points, you'll be able to figure this out. AND, since the deadline for sending these swap socks isn't until July 21 (when book #7 comes out!!), you even have time to try a pair for yourself first. As far as the patterns go, the House Color Socks can be as simple as stripes...you don't have to do cables or lace or anything majorly difficult.

Give it a go! You're already a Knitter so I'm sure you can pull this off. Shed your Muggle inhibitions and knit some Hogwarts socks!

Catherine :)

p.s. Yes, yes...we are big Trekkie-esque Harry Potter dorks, but who cares?! :)

Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  12:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,
I e-mailed the moderator of the swap and told her I really wanted to do it but that I haven't knitted socks before. She was very nice but said that it was only for knitters who knew how to knit socks because most people had terrible first sock experiences. I should have kept my mouth shut and just signed up. I'm so bummed! I already took my sorting quiz and everything. I am Hufflepuff too! Oh well, you'll have to let me know how it goes. Looks like I'll have to remain a Muggle after all.
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:28:56 PM  Show Profile
Well that's a huge drag. I'm wearing my first pair of handknit socks today and I don't think they were a terrible experience. Still wearing them after three years!

I'm so sorry for getting you all jazzed up about the swap! I noticed that she did say that there may be another swap in August...knit a pair of socks now anyway (in Hufflepuff colors!) and stay tuned about a possible round two swap.

Knit on!

Catherine

p.s. And remember, the Yarn Harlot calls non-Knitters Muggles. You are no Muggle. :)

Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  2:36:19 PM  Show Profile
I just noticed that soem of the other people in the swap haven't knitted socks before (they say so in their blog. Maybe I'll ask her to put on "waiting list" in case they don't reach their limit. And promise to do some practice ones first. Yeah, I am this pathetic.
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  7:22:36 PM  Show Profile
Catherine and Meg,
I would love to join this one - so can't wait for the book to come out. I am a bit like you though, Meg; once we read it, it will all be over!! When six was released, our book cafe had a launch party. Of course, launch time here (to match up with midnight in London) was 6 am! So I had to have kids all up and dressed by 5.15 am to get into town. It was great fun though - oldest daughter was Hagrid, complete with sheeps wool beard and hair, second daughter was Hermione, I was Professor McGonagal and little boy (who was 9 months old then) was Hedwig. I was pretty proud of the Hedwig costume - I converted a white growsuit by adding claws and wings and made a hood with a beak. He even had a Gryffindor scarf! Anyway, it was winter here - they had the wood fire going, it was very cosy. There were kids there that, as soon as the book was available, picked up their copy, plonked down by the fire and didn't move. I spoke to the owner later and she said they had sat there until they had read the whole book!!
Have you read any of the many forums going around and all the different theories? I had a quick look at some, but would rather not read other peoples ideas - we have our own, but don't want to hear too much else. Don't want it ruined!
Getting back to the reason for the post, I would love to sign up, but don't think I really have time to do it at the moment. I am still working on other swaps and I am trying not to take on too much! I'd love to do another yarn sock swap though - winter coming up here!
Meg, hope you do enjoy the yarn when you get to use it! Catherine, I sent Meg some Happy Spider so she will have to let you know how it knits up.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  05:36:54 AM  Show Profile
Jayne,
That party sounds so fun! I would love to see pictures. Your Hedwig costume sounds similar inconstruction to both a crow and a parrot costume I made for my girls for Halloween. If you can post some pictures! I've read a little on the web. But like you, not too much. My husbnad and I both have our theories. My husband is starting the whole series over before the 7th book comes out. There is no way I could finish that many books in that little time. I'll have to look into some parties in our area, or heck have our own. Since I got denied from this swap for lack of sock knitting experience maybe you and I could exchange a small something Harry Potter/knitting/fiber related. Like some yarn in house colors or make some stitch markers or something like that. We could even get the girls in on it. Have them write to eachother how they think the story will end. Something easy or fast. Let me know if you want to. I feel bad that I haven't used that yarn yet, I really do love it. I'm thinking of trying the magic loop method. I'm actually taking workshop with Cat Bordhi called Magical Knitting this June. So, I might get her new sock book and try that. Oh, and I'm so glad you got your sock swap package!

Catherine, keep us posted on how this swap goes. I'll check your blog too, since it looks like Jayne and I may be the only other farmgirls who share your love for Harry Potter!
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  05:57:14 AM  Show Profile
Megan,
I do have some photos somewhere - I'll look for them. I would love to have another swap with you and maybe the girls could have a swap too. My girls are always so excited to see my parcels arriving and heloping to choose and pack ones to send. They would love to choose or make something for their own Farmgirl swap!!
I have been thinking too about re-reading before seven comes out, as, reading some of the theories on the web, there are obviuosly people who have analysed every word! I'll probably only get to reading six again though.
I sent your parcel a few days ago, so look out for it - finally!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  06:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on May 29 2009 8:51:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  06:08:29 AM  Show Profile
I'll look for it! Can't wait! Ok, so let's do our own little Harry Potter family swap (our families will swap things, not swap families!) I think I might download the 6th book and listen to it. Cheating, yes, but I just don't read that fast and can barely make time to read the books I have going right now. But I'm sure there are a lot of things I've forgotten. Let's brainstorm some ideas. Like I said, we can keep it simple. If others see it and want to participate they can join in too.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  11:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Naomi,
Good to meet another Harry fan!
Megan, I'll have to get my thinking cap on - doesn't appear to be working at the moment! And we will come up with something. I'm still looking for the photos - I think my filing system in this computer leaves a lot to be desired!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  12:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello fellow HP fans!! I'm a huge fan too!! Only wwwhhhhaaaa.....I don't knit at all, but if you are trying to figure out a swap in honor of the release of HP.....I can do a reproduction Professor McGonagal hat!!! Just an idea. There are many types of hats and caps, and wands and capes and scarves and socks, brooms, etc. One could just find something from the books or movies and make a reproduction and just surprise their swap partner. Just an idea! LOVE, Love, love Harry Potter and the story of JKRowlings rise to success!!!!

I would love nothing more than a pair of hand knitted socks. I have been reading for months now about all of the hand knitted socks and just boo hooing inside because I can't swap hand knitted socks with someone. But I could sew something in exchange.....like an authentic looking hat!! hint, hint LOL

Oh and I just got sorted into Hufflepuff....loyal, dependable, hardworking.....great, I wanted to be in the Gryffindor house, but then who doesn't? LOL I always figured I was a Hufflepuff. Oh, the girls and I have been rewatching HP this week. Well, they are, I just get to see snippets of it!

Anyone want to swap?

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Apr 11 2007 12:28:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  05:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Aunt george, you wish you could knit and I wish I could sew, then there is Jayne who does both! Hi Naomi, glad you chimed in too. I like the idea of just doing/making anything HP related. Maybe jsut find out about your partners favorite characters, books in the series, etc and make of fine things accordingly. If someone doesn't have time to make something, like I know Jayne is pretty busy right now, they could give some yarn or fabric in partner's house colors or something like that. Someone could even make some kind of HP treats! I know Jayne and I wanted to involve our kids in the swap, what about your girls, georgann? Naomi would you like to do some kind of Harry swap with us? So, should we do a one on one swap or get a small group and have everyone contribute that same amount of something so everybody gets one thing form everyone else? Let me know what you think!

I also wanted to mention that KTknits must have put a good word in for me at the Hogwarts Sock Swap because I got an e-mail saying that they held a spot for me! So, yahoo! What is one more swap, it is the last book after all. A big thank you to Kathy! Do bad I wasn't a member of MJF when the last Lord of the Rings movie came out!

Let me know your thoughts and ideas! This has me excited.
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  06:01:49 AM  Show Profile
Don't even get me started on Lord of the Rings! I'm so glad to have like-minded Farmgirls who love good stories and good yarns!

Megan, how cool that you got into the Hogwarts Sock Swap! And Kathy, I didn't know you were in too, cool!

Catherine :)

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on May 29 2009 8:53:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  5:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Megan and Georgann,
I am up for doing something - maybe as it is just a little swap between us, we can extend the timeline a bit (so that the stuff arrived just before book release). I really think it would be great if it was more for the girls as HP is something they love (and we do, of course!) and they so love seeing all my swap stuff. I know they would love to do their own. I just can't think of something suitable. You guys have some great ideas - my mind just can't get thinking! If it was just us three, we could each send something to the two others - that wouldn't be too much, would it? Maybe if we find out our girls likes/collections/hobbies, we can relate that to a HP theme.
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  5:37:38 PM  Show Profile
Lots of Hufflepuffs here! I just did all three quizzes on the sock swap and was sorted into Hufflepuff for each one! Loyal, dependable and hard-working - but we are still fun, right?!!
It would be interesting to get all the Farmgirls to do the quiz and see what percentages we turn up - I wonder if any Slytherins would appear?!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

birdie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Amy
Hilliard OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  6:15:18 PM  Show Profile
I'd be interested in a swap too! I'm not exactly ready for a pair of socks yet either. How about a house-colored scarf exchange!? That I could handle

Meg - Small world, I'm just around the way from you in Hilliard!

BTW - I also sorted Huflepuff, but my Ravenclaw score was a close second. Hmmmmm....

Amy
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  7:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy! I used to live on the east side of Columbus until about 2 years ago. YOU are the only other columbus area farmgirl that I've seen so far. Brenda is central ohio-ish but I don't think there are any other columbus people. Come to think of it there doesn't seem to be that any Ohioans. Do you love this weather we're having?

So about this swap...Idefinitely like the idea of lettign the kids have a big part (with at least a little something in there for the mommas) Do we want to make something for the kids and have them make things for eachother as well? Do we want to make a bunch of the same thing or personalize them for each child? God, there are so many different ways to do this and ideas that I don't know what would be both fun and creative yet relatively easy. We could each pick a different/favorite aspect of the books, like a book (or movie) itself, character, hogwart's school subject. I like the idea of the scarf but I'm a little burnt out on scarves right now and i'm afraid of getting too many knitting projects going. I think I would rather make something non-knitted. But, someone could knit little scarf bookmarks in different house colors. I know my older kids love bookmarks. I don't know just an idea. I suppose we should think of a simple way of organizing this and then let each of us be as creative as we want within that. Ok, talking too much and overthinking this, plus Lost is on!
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Yes Megan,
I think bookmarks for the kids would be a great idea - either knitted or felt. I recently got the Feltcraft book and there are some good bookmarks in there that are easy enough for the girls. And maybe some yarn for us? That way noone has to take on anymore actual knitting projects as I'm a bit snowed under at the moment. Sounds good to me.
Would you believe one of our good friends went to high school in Columbus, Ohio? He was born in New York, moved to Australia when he was little and then went back for a while to go to school there. So I have heard of it!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

birdie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Amy
Hilliard OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:02:11 AM  Show Profile
I love the bookmark idea!

Megan, I'm suprised there aren't more Ohio farmgirls out here. Everyone I know from college (I went to Capital, in Bexley) is from a small town in Ohio...you'd think there would be tons of us! I looked and there seems to be a chapter in Lancaster (?) but that is at least an hour for me to drive each way...I guess with a 18mo at home, it just isn't the time for me to do out-of-my way networking.
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile
I had some other felting ideas of some things that I wanted to make for you guys, too. And I don't think
aunt George knits (if she wants to do it. So, I was thinking we could either all make a few of one thing and send them to everyone (just 3 of us) or, for example: I could send a package to Jayne, Jayne to Birdie, Birdie to Georgann, Georgann to me. Or whatever order, I just figured Jayne is sick of sending to me! And this way Jayne and Birdie could do the same thing and it wouldn't really matter. What do you think, a package with soem things for the kids as well as a little something for mom? Let me know which way sounds best too you three, I'm down either way!
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:53:09 AM  Show Profile
woops, I meant just 4 of us
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  6:26:35 PM  Show Profile
OH WOW!

All of you Knitty Harry Potter fans must click here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470067314/103-0988719-9240668

"Charmed Knits" - knitting patterns for Harry Potter fans! I just pre-ordered. It comes out May 7th. WAHOO!!!

Catherine (Hufflepuff and terribly, terribly excited about all of this HP craze that's stirring up again!)

Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile
Catherine,
I found that the other day too. Haven't pre-ordered yet but may have to. I'm trying to reign myself in, maybe I'll ask for it for Mother's day.
-Megan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hogwarts Sock Swap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page