kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a big blank slate as I have remove everthing except my strawberries, which are growing like crazy despite freezes, rain and howling wind. I know that there are things that you aren't supposed to plant next to each other. Does anyone know about starberries and their compatibility with other things?

Also, does anyone know of a way to keep my strawberries away from the bugs? They seem to be eating more of them than me

I'm thinking of repeating varieties of squash and the cut-and-come-again lettuce that I got either from Cook's Garden or another company , Renee's garden?-not sure on that one, but either way it was great and I had lettuce for a really long time. Other than that it's wide open at this point

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  4:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Hey Amanda,
my only suggestion to you about your strawberries is to not plant them next to bell peppers...I did that ONCE,,,and my berries tasted aweful. not sweet at all.
I also use a drip system for watering and I make a little "boarder" of oatbrand around my berry plants...the little slugs & snails won't go over the oatbrand, gets all stuck to their slimy little bodies. But, I have to lay fresh oatbrand each week. Acrually I would think sawdust would have the same effect.
tata-4-now

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  5:04:54 PM  Show Profile
hi,
thanks for the heads up on the peppers. That sounds gross :->

Where do you get the oatbrand? It sounds like that might be the ticket.
Amanda

quote:
Originally posted by katmom

Hey Amanda,
my only suggestion to you about your strawberries is to not plant them next to bell peppers...I did that ONCE,,,and my berries tasted aweful. not sweet at all.
I also use a drip system for watering and I make a little "boarder" of oatbrand around my berry plants...the little slugs & snails won't go over the oatbrand, gets all stuck to their slimy little bodies. But, I have to lay fresh oatbrand each week. Acrually I would think sawdust would have the same effect.
tata-4-now

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  12:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I buy it at Trader Joes, but I have also bought it at Ralphs Market in the ceral/oatmeal section....
Wow, is today nice or what? Glad I am home today to play in my garden of weed-in....LOL!
tata-4-now

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Amanda,
in the "Across the Fence" section I posted to see if there are any other MJF chicks in the S.B. & Ventura area & to see if they would like to meet up for lunch & shopping in VTA.
Hope we get a few that would like to make this outting.
tata-4-now
grace

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I plant spinach next to my strawberries!!!

In His presence
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  7:57:51 PM  Show Profile
The book"Carrots Love Tomatoes", by Louise Riotte, says strawberries benefit from borage and lettuce.They also do well with bush beans and spinach.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile
I am, with the MAJOR help of another gardener, going to plant my garden next Saturday (the 21st) I was thinking of putting lettuce in that area. All great ideas!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What to plant with strawberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page