Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's Up? Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  07:38:27 AM  Show Profile
In the week since the Vernal (Spring) Equinox, what's been poking up through the soil, or out of the ends of brown branches, or maybe even already blooming, at your place? Any happy surprises yet? Winter fatalities?

Edited by - Rosemary on Mar 27 2007 08:10:29 AM

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well i am looking forward to hearing what is up every where else. The only thing that is "up" here is more snow.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  10:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Let see...daffodils are starting to bloom, tulips are up, grape hyacinths. Trees are starting to bud and get little tiny leaves. Our indoor seeds are going crazy, so waiting a few more weeks to plant them outside.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  4:16:54 PM  Show Profile
My daylilies are coming up nicely, the red bud trees are in bloom, forsynthias and daffodils are showing their yellow colors, Bradford Pear trees are blooming, my oak and elms are putting on leaves, my basil and rosemary are sprouting from the seeds I planted. I have Daisies coming up and my Candy Mint is spreading like wild fire at the old place which is why I am just keeping it in a pot at the new place. The bermuda grass is starting to turn green.........I just wish I had a lawn instead of sand at the new place..... lol We will plant the lawn in a few weeks I think.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  5:20:30 PM  Show Profile
Easter lilies smiling and redbud trees blooming out, so beautiful!!!
~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:56:29 PM  Show Profile
daffodils, grape hyacynths and my favorite little johnny jump ups. The tulips are up but not blooming yet..they will be next. I wish I had forsythia planted..I am seeing it in bloom all over town now and I love it. I will plant some this year hopefully...such a pretty bright spring plant!! My two little crabapple trees, planted two years ago will soon be in bloom...

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  8:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
My rose bush is full of baby pink roses and a flowering bush we have in our back yard ( I do not know the name) is full of magenta blooms...it is so pretty!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  03:42:15 AM  Show Profile
wow! you're all ahead of me! I have some crocuses poppin' up!!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  04:09:24 AM  Show Profile
The daffodils have come and gone, as well as the plum and cherry blossoms at my house. The dogwoods are out right now, as well as azaleas and I have some woodland hyacinth that was sent to me by a farmgirl in bloom! They smell heavenly. :) Violets are running rampant throughout my yard, especially the small, dark wood violet. I noticed that my gladiolas are coming up, and that I am going to have to split them before they get too big. I have a ton of sharp little green spears poking up!! And the first dandelion has popped open in my yard. I love them. They were always the first flower my children brought to me when they were small, and they hold a special place in my heart. :) Oh, and we are going to have a lot of blueberries this year! Tiny little white bells are are conjuring up thoughts of mouthfuls of blue heaven!!
The pine trees and oaks are raining pollen upon us and making life miserable for anyone who wants their outdoor things to look nice and maintain the ability to breathe!! A yellow cast has been laid over Georgia with no end in sight for quite a while. We need rain!!!! Somebody send some our way! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  06:38:55 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
yes, here in NC the daffodils have come and gone... there might be a few left hanging around, the azaleas are just beginning to blossom, and the beautiful red camellias. there are these beautiful purple flowers in the wood and behind the shed that i have never seen before... they appear to be some sort of week, but i'm not sure. i'm looking foward to the show in our yard as this is our first full spring in the house... one of the reasons we bought the house last april was because of all of the beautiful landscaping... everything was in full bloom when we first looked at the house and knew it was meant to be ours. i'm planning on planting a few bulbs of gladioli, peonies & irises this weekend...

Alison
'Be the change you want to see in the world' ~ Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  06:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Daffodils are blooming, crocuses have come and gone, tulips are just about to burst, cherry trees (depending on the variety) are blooming, flowering pear trees, hyacynths, old fashion bleeding hearts - soon it will be the lilacs.

Grass is green and needs to be mowed. Spring is definetly here in the Northwest.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  2:04:17 PM  Show Profile
Today, with great excitement!!!, I found the earliest sign of life in the rhubarb... my third year of trying may have "taken"! (and you northern girls think it's so easy to grow)
Arugula is up in the herb garden, and two out of three salad greens are up in pots. I don't remember which pot has which green, so they need to grow up and show themselves. The veggie garden was just planted on Friday, so only last fall's garlic is up.

The lilacs outside my kitchen window and living room window are changing daily, with the flower buds showing themselves apart from the leaves, and the roses have the dark red leaves unfurling. White almond shrub is blooming along with daffodils, muscari and leucojum.

Ahhhh, SPRING! I mowed the grass today....

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  7:36:38 PM  Show Profile
After a considerable rainy few days, THE GRASS!!!
But,also, jonquils, grape hyacinth and all my Irises (both "flags" as my gran called them) and Siberian Irises are about 7 inches high, my Sweet William is looking rather jaunty, and my Austin English roses have all their little leaves, growing more and more everyday. I noticed that the hostas are just poking through, my alliums are way up, lambs ears have lots of new growth, phlox is starting...gosh, what ISN'T???

We are cooler this week (thank goodness), so maybe it will retard some things a little. I don't like it when it all happens at once!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  11:35:08 AM  Show Profile
We've got our tulips and daffodils coming up and the daylilies are starting to pop up. I see buds on the lilac bush. We are in an area that seems so slow to bloom. Even in Spokane (only 30 miles or less away) they've got a big jump on us.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  12:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
In the city(Louisville), the dogwoods are starting to bloom(way early). The daffodils, grape hyacinths, weeping cherry trees, redbuds, violets, Japanese Kwanzan cherry trees are all blooming in town and at the farm. Most of the daylilies at the farm are starting to send up growth. And of course, the ever present, inescapable, "they'll grow on my grave 'cause they know I can't reach 'em" WEEDS are GROWING!!! LOL!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  07:15:44 AM  Show Profile
Not much is popping up outside yet, but the tomato seeds I started inside are about an inch high!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  09:01:29 AM  Show Profile
Lorij - I replied to the pic you tried to post in the practice area about how to show your picture.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  12:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
this isn't in my garden, but in my partner's mom's garden.. its so beautiful, i just had to share...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7866416@N08/457979999/

Alison
'Be the change you want to see in the world' ~ Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  09:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Alison, that is one heck of a beautiful columbine! Everybody's posts sound so encouraging; this is the season most full of promise and excitement for me. In my front yard, the small smokebush I feared would be a 'goner' this year has lovely leaves that seem to grow each day, and the azaleas are beginning to pop. My Lady Banks climbing rose is almost completely covered with tiny yellow blossoms, and it has grown so much that it is even difficult to see the house numbers on the front porch! The other roses have leafed out nicely, too. The back garden was wildly overgrown when I got back a few weeks ago and I've been hacking my way through. The blue flowered ajuga still has a foothold, despite some bullying weeds. Tiny purple, white, pink, and white-with-purple-throat violets are really showing off. Peonies, lilies, lily of the valley, anemone, are up and running with blooms to follow next month. My white bleeding heart is blooming, the blue bugloss has delicate flowers now, hellebores covered with flowers and they have sown seed so I have loads of baby plants. Hostas and ferns are unfurling, Solomon's seal, too; iris have swollen stems that tantalize of what is to come. Acanthus leaves are huge and bright green now. Daffodils are past, tulips just opening up. My lilac bush has buds set now; oakleaf hydrangeas have leafed out, as well as the standard hydrangeas. I lost a variegated leaf hydrangea this winter, and one of the gardenia plants is miles behind the others in developing leaves so it might be a 'goner' this season. The real star of the backyard right now is a viburnum that is smothered in its beautifully fragrant pale pink and white blooms. When they go, the leaves emerge and the bush is really a plain jane, quietly retreating from the limelight. The forsythia with its wildly flailing arms is pretty with its yellow blooms but will need a good trim after the flower show. I have lunaria that self sows every year also and its purple flowers are dotting the landscape in no particular order. The only herbs I have are sorrel, Greek oregano, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (hum along if you want, ha!). I think my lemon verbena is history, unless it comes up from the very bottom of the stalk. Sweet Annie is also a hard to control volunteer but I love that scent! Beautyberry is just beginning to breath again, and I must get out and whack the butterfly bush back; it has been partially uprooted twice by hurricane winds but has a will to live like you wouldn't believe. It attains about 12 feet in height every year, and I get so excited seeing butterflies hanging from the white blooms. (Has anybody else noticed fewer and fewer butterflies in recent years??) The predicted deluge of rain seems to be holding off for the moment and ya'll have inspired me to get out there, get busy, and smell like dirt by the end of the day!! Horticulturally yours, Nance
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Nance!

Your garden sounds amazing. I wonder if butterfly bush would grow in my climate. I am going to have to look into that one!

I too have noticed fewer and fewer butterflies in the last few years. That and fewer and fewer honey bees. I am wondering if all the crop dusting has anything to do with it? I can’t imagine that having pesticides flying through the air is beneficial to our insect friends.

I want to plant mostly veggies in my garden this year but I still do plan on having flowers. Other than butterfly bush, do you have any suggestions on plants that attract butterflies?

Right now a few carrots and my peas are popping up in my garden. I think my lettuce is coming up, but there are so many weed seedlings that I am not sure which is which. I hate letting the weeds get a firmer hold on my garden, but I think I am going to have to let everything grow a bit until I can tell the difference between the plants. This is the first year that this ground has been used as a garden so the weeds have a firm hold on the soil. Hopefully that will end soon!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MulberryMama
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jill
Prospect Heights IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  10:40:27 AM  Show Profile
Hostas and Lily of the valley and sending up slender fingers through the earth, among the tiny green-white leaves of Snow-in-the-valley. Daylilies and sedum have been up since before the snow this past week. Maples bloomed about a week ago, and the lilac leaves are like little mouse ears. The black raspberries are putting out tender curled leaves along their red canes. Forsythia is everywhere in our neighborhood. And the rhubard have pushed up little clenched fists of leaves to make its appearance above the soil. The grass is bright green and thick already.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Greetings, Alyssa! I have learned the hard way that it is sometimes beneficial to wait a bit before plucking tiny seedlings out, thinking they are weeds. I think buddleia (butterfly bush) is pretty hardy and with good mulch and wind protection, I bet you could grow it; it even goes to seed here and butterfly bushes pop up in unexpected places at times (like the crack in my neighbor's driveway!). I heard a program last Sunday on PBS radio where the host was interviewing a bee keeper who transports his vigorous hives to farmers' fields for crop pollination, and was surprised to find that the bees aren't returning to the hives.....research has started to find out what happened/what killed the bees, etc. Very scary.

Butterflies need two types of plants. Host plants (where the eggs are laid) and nectar plants (where emerging and mature butterflies feed). Butterflies have very specific host plant needs so the more variety you have, the greater chance of baby butterflies coming alive in your garden and sticking around. Good host plants and trees are: Queen Anne's lace, Joe Pye Weed, fennel, parsley, rue, milkweed, pipevine, passionflower, black eyed Susan, Willow, Citrus, Pawpaw, Elm, Birch, Cherry, and Hackberry trees.

Good nectar sources are zinnias, honeysuckle, lantana, pentas, chives, dandelion, phlox, clover, nicotiana, aster, sedum, coneflower, goldenrod... lots more that I cannot think of, too. Have fun hosting a butterfly garden party this summer! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  3:32:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much for the information. I actually have passion flower seeds to plant!

I am so looking forward to the warm weather and being able to have a great garden this year. Hopefully there are enough bees and butterflies around to pollinate my veggies!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's Up? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page