Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Little beagle scooting around on her bottom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little beagle scooting around on her bottom Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile
all over the place. I noticed the tiniest bit of blood in her stool a couple of days ago and this constant scooting. Last night the poor thing pulled her little bottom across the sidewalk--RUFF! I got some wormer, and gave it to her yesterday afternoon (gave it to all of them), and I fully expected to see some result this evening when we went out, but her stool was fine and I really didn't see any worms.
Maybe these are the kind you can't see???
Is it something else?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like worms to me. You will probably have to take a stool sample to the vet.

www.annarosetta.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like worms, but sometimes dogs do that to relieve that little sack thing they have in their behinds. I know its grose! But they have some kind of sack in their behinds and well it needs to be squeezed sometimes. Dont worry the vet can do that if it needs to be done.
Oh I remembered the name, they are anal glands. Ok now that I have grosed myself out, I hope this helped.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:20:42 PM  Show Profile
It may be that her anal glands are impacted. In that case the vet or even a groomer can clean the out for you. Usually the glands secrete themselves with every bowl movement but if a dog as hard stool or even stool dried over the glands then they get impacted. I'm used to cleaning my dogs glands myself when I need to. It's kinda gross but it saves me time and money of going to the vet. I used to do them when I worked as a veterinary technician so I'm used to gross animal stuff.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile
http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/behavior/l/aa031104a.htm

Here is a link talking about the glands. Hope it helps

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Ah yes. Those anal glands. I totally forgot about them...I had a malamute years ago who had trouble with them, but none of the three big dogs I have now do--and those things are SO forgettable!
She's doing an awful lot of licking, too, so maybe that's it. I guess we'll just play it safe and have the vet make a housecall.
Guess she heard we got our tax refund today!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  9:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Aww, what a bummer way to spend your tax return. No pun intended!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  05:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Ba Da Bump!

Too cute...thanks for the help, gals!

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little beagle scooting around on her bottom Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page