Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  4:32:23 PM  Show Profile
Here is my question-many of my bulbs-tulip, daylily, daffodils, crocus, are up-the crocus are blooming and the daffodils have buds.

Tonight it is supposed to be low 30's and snow-I'm not too worried about that. BUT, later this week and weekend it is supposed to dip into the mid 20's. I would hate to lose my plants!

Would anyone recommend covering the plants? Or are these early spring bulbs tough enough to handle this weather?

Thanks so much!
Jennifer

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:09:24 PM  Show Profile
This is what our local extension office said when I called this afternoon (we're in Zone 6) 84 yesterday 43 today, 23 tomorrow am.

Anything that is flowering, cover. Anything that is a seedling (like my heirloom sweet peas, cover), anything that is NOT flowering, but is just greening, should be alright. I covered my little sweet peas just now, and am going to cover my gazillion dollars of David Austin english roses because my dh said, "you really don't want to be crushed, do you?" And I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to hear me lament them for very long :)

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer -- if you get quite a bit of snow it will actually help to insulate the plants from the cold. I would probably lean towards covering them though. 20's is pretty cold.

www.annarosetta.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  2:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips-I decided to go with covering them-we only got a little snow, and better safe than sorry!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Should I cover my flowers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page