Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 I am in desperate need of....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic I am in desperate need of.... Next Topic  

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  4:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
RAMPS!!!!! If any of you mid-atlantic farmgirls want to get rid of even just a little. I will pay for them and postage. We do not have any of these smelly little things here in Maine and I am feeling deprived. It has been 5 yrs without and I am pineing away something awful. I want to share the experience with my hubby who thinks I am nuts for wanting something called ramps. I was from West Virginia in my other life...alot of it actually and I just havent repalced my love of these with northern food yet. HHHHHEEEELLLPPP! Pleaaaase! I know its just a little early but Im getting a head start. I found one gourmet store that will ship them to me...but they want my firstborn grandchild. LOL

Desperate for ramps in Maine....Birdi

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  5:04:22 PM  Show Profile
I just learned what ramps are from an article in a conservation magazine. Turns out I used to pull them up in the woods as a kid, but my father called them leeks. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure that I have access to any place where they grow. I might have a chance to look for you next weekend, but the weather is supposed to be bad (cold and snowing). I'll let you know if I find any. Do you think they would ship ok?
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  7:57:05 PM  Show Profile
If I find any at the college farmers market - I email you back (just to make sure are ramps the same as leeks)

beckels

( i use to have them in my yard but I didnt see any today when I walked around)

beckels
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, girls! Yes, wild leeks are the same as ramps. They grow wild out in the woods. Come up in late March in some areas..early April in most. I guess it depends where ya are. And yes, the farmers stands on the side of the road sell them locally in areas that they grow. I think they will shop ok... Ill pay for priority so they will be quicker. The site that I found was shipping overnight by fedex (OUCH!) I really dont want to pay 40$ for shipping alone. The ramps were expensive enough. I wish you luck and me! Thanks for your efforts!

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  6:39:00 PM  Show Profile
What do you do with ramps?

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  7:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
Birdi,
My husband just went ramp digging this past weekend with my brother. Send me your email and I will get you some in the mail ASAP...wouldn't want a West Virgina gal to go without her ramps now...lol.

And...lilpunkin...you fry them with fried potatoes...in beans...in burgers...or just eat them raw. We actually have ramp dinners and ramp bingo here in West Virginia...they are wonderful. We make a family event of going ramp digging.

Fawn

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  03:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh my, yes! The whole month was a ramp festival! The memories it brings back. Goodness, pure goodness! Oh Thank you, Fawn! I will sniff the mailbox everyday! LOL There are a few things that I miss terribly from West Virginia that Maine can not give me. Ramps are definitly one of them! Food is definitly geographic. I cant get a hot dog that I am used to either. Now if they would only put in a sheetz up here.. hahha Again, thank you so much! Good luck at ramp bingo! And let me know postage so that I can reimburse for your time and trouble!!

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Can someone post a picture? I think I know what they are and I belive they grow abundantly in my yard, but we don't call them ramps.
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
here Jessica..... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek there is a picture on here. And Fawn... I just checked the postal schedule of holidays to see if they observed Good Friday! If they had, someone wouldv'e had a stinky Post Office on monday...lol I have a super supper planned for when they get here... brown beans, cornbread, fried taters...AND RAMPS!!!! Thanks again ever so much. I don't know if hubby is excited due the discussion of the smell. Oh goodness!

Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  6:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Fawn!!!! When I got home this evening...hubby told me that I had goodies in the fridge. I am in West Virginia heaven. Thank you so much for bringing a memory home to me in Maine. I have put the beans on to soak and am going to enjoy dinner tomorrow more than ever. They held up beautifully...dint smell a bit. Thank you thank you!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

serenity1652
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Fawn
Elkins WV
USA
140 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  08:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Send serenity1652 a Yahoo! Message
I am glad that you got them ok...I was worried that they wouldnt send well. I hope you enjoy you little piece of West Virginia Heaven...
Fawn

"May all of your farm girl dreams come true...as mine has"

http://shallowcreekfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  4:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
YYYYUUUUUUUMMMMYYYYY! And hubby loved them also. Going to inquire if the are here in Maine. He works in the woods and he is going to keep an eye out to see if they are an undiscovered yummy here. One of the biggest differences with the weather here from WV is a fifth season...mud season. I had more snow in the mountains of WV then they have here, although it is a little colder...and the frost really comes out here causing all of the mud. I dont remember it there. Maybe there are ramps here, but due to all of the mud...no one goes out in the woods enough to know if they are there. I'm hoping! Ok...stretching,even. hahah I was definitely "Almost Heaven" today. I teased my daughter that I was eating them...she whined. She is now in Fla and doesnt have them there either....lol Between the two of us...we will make sure the east coast grows ramps. Thanks again Fawn for a little of your world in mine.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  04:59:22 AM  Show Profile
Glad you got your ramp fix, Birdi. I couldn't look over the weekend. You've certainly got me inspired to try, though. I've never actually eaten the things (not into onion-y flavors as a kid).
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  07:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Success! I'm so glad that you all were able to share the goodness of ramps - I've only had "domestic" leeks, but after reading this, I sure do want to try wild ones sometime. YUM!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  1:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Here's a site you might want to check out---earthly.com. I've been yearning for fiddleheads. They're not easy to find locally.
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic I am in desperate need of.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page