Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  05:40:47 AM  Show Profile
A New Season...

Spring came. And with the flowers and the warm breeze came a new season in my life. It was last night when I realized that one journey was coming to an end and a new one was about to begin.
I wanted to go to the farm alone last night, so I left Josh with all six kids and took his car. The sun had just set and the moon was rising as I pulled into the gravel lane. The sheep were all laying down in the green pasture , but they all jumped up as I drove by. I turned off the engine and just sat for a moment, something had changed and it wasn’t just the weather. I listen to the ringing and clanging of the cow bells, I beckoned to the calling of the goats in their pen, the barn cat greeted me with happy meows and the last few hens were heading for the coop. Yes something had changed. I felt as if I had been set free.

Over the past five years this farm had become one of my favorite places, but I always carried an aching, longing… almost a sadness with me whenever I would arrive at the farm to collect my eggs and milk. The feeling of belonging to such a life captivated my heart, and leaving the farm to head back to the house on Main Street never felt like going home.

I’ve tried to make this house my home, but I kept getting into trouble with town officials, neighbors and zoning officials… “No, you can’t have chickens!” or “No, you can’t sell soap and candles to your neighbors!” and “No you can’t put a sign in your yard!” then “Are you keeping sheep or goats in your yard?” and “No, you can’t serve coffee to 75 teenagers over at your house on Friday nights!” then “No you can’t save the trees on your street!” After some effort an occasional “No” turn into a yes, but some dreams were lost, or saved up for later… So I’ve given this place my best: I’ve turned my yard into a garden, turned my walls into art, and raised a flock of children instead of a flock of sheep. We’ve made wonderful friends and planted lots of little seeds around town. Perhaps we can leave this town a little better than we found it, and perhaps a few lives have been blessed because we were here. But our dreams are bigger than our backyard, and to unique for this neighborhood.

The moon was shinging over the farm and all the colors were fading from the sky. I didn’t have to be sad anymore about not having goats and hens… I just have to take that next step to bringing those farm girl dreams to life. So as I listened to the sounds of the farm I just knew that it wouldn’t be long before there would be a goat in my future, chickens in my coop, and a big sky above my fields. I just knew that my mission here in Fortville was nearly over, and the next adventure was on the horizon. I spent a little extra time with the baby goats, then collected my eggs and started my drive to the yellow house on Main Street. I noticed that all my fruit trees were bursting with flowers, and I had to wonder who would collect the fruit. As I lingered on my wide front porch, there was a happy glow in the windows and the sound of children chattering just beyond. I thought on all of the wonderful moments this home has held for our family, I’ll miss this place.

When I came into the house the children were all being tucked into their sleeping bags on the living room floor listening to their Bible Story. As soon as the little ones fell asleep Josh made me a Latte at our coffee bar. I didn’t say a word, but he knew… “ You think it’s time to put the house up for sale?” He asked… He knew. And so a new season begins. We have a house to sell, a field to buy, and a whole little farming village to build.

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."

JimBobAndLarry
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sarah
Fortville IN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  05:43:01 AM  Show Profile
The little farming village we are building is called Simpler Times Village, www.ruralvillage.org. Some of you know about it already. As soon as this house sells we are on our way!

"Jim-Bob&Larry is the name of my daughter's new laying hen. My little girl is three and she came up with the name all by herself. I'm Sarah."
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  05:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Sarah- Your post has touched a spot in my heart. But, while you are lamenting the loss of your beloved home on Main Street, there is that underlying joy when you write about the farm. It is undeniable that the farm is where your happiness is. So go, make it fully your own. Make it blossom and grow. And be happy!! A house is just four walls. Home is where your heart is.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  09:00:48 AM  Show Profile
Your post really hit home with me because I locked up our home in town for the last time yesterday. The buyers are closing on it tomorrow at noon. Am I sad? Sure I can say that I am a bit sad. My children grew up and became adults in that house and I thought it was the last house we would ever own and that we would retire there. But as we drove away yesterday I realized that I had so much to look forward to at our new place in the country.

I have already started making the new place a part of my heart. I have been planting tomatoes,onions flowers, herbs and grape vines and I have so many plans in my head that I want to do to make it our own. Hopefully I won't have time to miss the old place too much. The country place truly feels like home to me already.........even though we are living in our travel trailer and havent got a house on it yet. There is just nothing like sitting outside and hearing the birds singing in the woods, the cowing mooing or just listening to the frogs croaking in the evening. It is our dream and little piece of heaven. Home is where my heart and hubby are at and right now it is on our little 2 acre farm in Western Oklahoma.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  09:58:38 AM  Show Profile
Sarah,
You expressed your thoughts and feelings so beautifully I could feel it. Congratulations. We will be with you on your journey. Keep us informed.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Happy dance for you!!! YEAH!!!!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  4:18:37 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful thoughts, good luck to you all on your new adventures. Michele
Go to Top of Page