Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  09:19:57 AM  Show Profile
last night I went and found our bunny laying on her side in her cage.She acts paralyzed in her back end.She does seem alert,bright eyed and has an appetite tho.I cleaned up her hind end with warm soapy water and brought her inside with all clean sawdust chips and water and food.She ate the carrot and seems a little better today.
Has anyone had this happen to their bunny?Of course it's Friday. Do I face a 2-3 hour drive to the vet....or a 45 plane ride the other way.Better quit procrastinating and do some phone calls.

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile
My mom had a bunny that was not paralyzed exactly but started moving in a lopsided way. Falling over, unable to move around. He had an inner ear infection. I wasn't living at home at the time, so I don't know all the details. I think he responded to treatment, but he didn't live very much longer. He did continue to eat and didn't seem to be in pain. Could this be the same thing?
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  11:49:56 AM  Show Profile
My sister, who has owned probably over 50 rabbits in her life, said this:

"She could very well be paralyzed.

If she got scared by something, flipped out and caught her foot in something in the cage it can happen. Its very easy to break their backs, they are really sensitive to it.

I remember having one of my rabbit put down because he flipped out in a storm and broke his back. He was alert and lively otherwise - but would squeal with pain when he turned the wrong way. He was able to crawl around with the front legs - but it was too much for him and he was in a lot of pain from something - so I had to put him down. He was the sweetest bunny I ever had too!"

I know that's not what you want to hear, but I would suggest a vet visit.

Sorry Dorothy! I hope she's ok.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:12:49 PM  Show Profile
I agree, I would go ahead and get her to the vet.
The only time I've seen this was with my housebunny, who gradually lost function of her back end.

Good luck!!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  11:52:58 AM  Show Profile
I would have a vet check it out or somebody else that is familar with rabbits. it sounds like a broken back to me

beckels
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic bunny paralysis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page