_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know anything about having finches as pets? I love birds, but I like small birds, not large. I thought I would try finches.

Any information would be appreciated.

I am going to check out some library books on them too.

Thanks,

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  11:09:22 AM  Show Profile
zebra finches are fairly easy to raise..it has been a while since I have owned them but they were fun.
The male zebra finch that I had..used to like to eat pieces of grapes.He loved them!
They can be flighty acting and aren't like ..say a parakeet or lovebird in the training department, but they can get used to you enough to take a handout.
When you get a bird, make sure the feathering is healthy, no bald spots, clear eyes, clear feet, no abnormal looking things.
Good luck.
Best to read info and do some research too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't know too much about birds as pets, but we have friends who wouldn't be without their lovebirds. Very sweet and affectionate, and extremely cheerful to have peeping and cheeping about!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  2:35:09 PM  Show Profile
I used to have zebras too. I had a pair & put in a nest box. Never really thought of them breeding at that time, just thought of it more as a place for them to sleep or hide. (What I like about them is that you can tell the male from female which is hard to tell in most pet birds.) They were more skittish & didnt want to be held. Well, we got eggs. We had several babies over a few years. One they kicked out for some reason & I ended up hand feeding him. I loved him. So cute. He would chase my feet if I wore red nail polish. He would attack my toes and make strange noises as he darted towards them. So cute. Like this tiny bird was so tough. LOL! Because I raised him, he didnt make the same peeping noise his parents did. He would sit in my hand & fluff up so big. They are pretty quiet. Not sure how to explain their peeps. Not too messy. They do like if you put a bird bath on the front of the cage too. I have had some messy birds. Lovebirds, messy & they screech more. The bigger birds usually don't mind being held. Just depends on how they were raised. A lot of birds will also think of you as their mate if you only have one. I had a Quaker that was like that. Nothing like bird puke on you for them to tell you they love you.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile
Somehow I knew my sis would be in here replying about the birds. You are so funny Kelly!

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  4:13:28 PM  Show Profile
I used to be a finch breeder. I had zebra, orange cheek waxbills and gouldians. Zebras are the easiest. They come in different colors and you can get them with a crest or not. What I would recommend is getting a book on finches at the libary and do some research and see which breed you would like. I miss having my finches. Especially all the babies.I just have my parrots now and all my chickens.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Edited by - LadyCrystal on Mar 26 2007 4:14:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  06:22:37 AM  Show Profile
I appreciate all the info. I have had 1 bird in the past. It was quite messy. I don't want to hold them or train them. I just want them to watch and look at and to give my home a source of interest. I used to have a fishtank too and I miss it.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic finches Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page