dkmom
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Amber
Billings MT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile
My oldest son is allergic to eggs. We've always wanted to have a few chickens, but I'm not sure if handling the eggs would cause him problems. As I understand it - it's the protien in the egg, not the outer shell.
I know the rest of us can take care of it all, but he may want to help. Anyone have experience with this?
Thanks.

Amber, married, mama of three wonderful kids
http://diaperkit.com/

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  7:25:33 PM  Show Profile
I am allergic to eggs. I go into anaphalatic shock if I eat one. I will also get very itchy if I get the egg on my skin. I don't have a problem handling the eggs but if one breaks in my hand by accident I have to wash them right away. I would talk with your son's Dr about the risks. I think each person would react differently.
I also am allergic to feathers too. I have to wear a mask when I am with my chickens. I have been getting allergy shots for feather for 3 years and it is getting better but I still lose the enjoyment I have because of it. My husband and I have lots(Currently 500) of chickens. We are serious breeders for show.It takes me a few days to get over being in the show barn. Good luck with everything.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  03:52:48 AM  Show Profile
My daughter has an egg allergy. We don't eat a whole lot of eggs here, mostly I just give them away. She can handle the eggs but if one breaks like Alicia said we have to wash really well. We consulted her allergist and he thought it was fine to own chickens, but if it showed she had a reaction to take precautions with her around the chickens. She's been fine, just lots and lots of eggs to get rid of each week. :)

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  2:44:30 PM  Show Profile
Amber,
Why don't you try your hand at ducks or quail?
A lot of people who are allergic to chicken eggs eat quail/ duck eggs because they are missing that protien.

Babs

Hatching Eggs: www.countryegg.com
& Home Goods: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  4:51:40 PM  Show Profile
Babs,
Can you tell me what protein that the duck and quail eggs are missing? I would love to eat eggs again. Thanks,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2007 :  6:17:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh I don't know exactly. I get a lot of inquiries at Country Egg from people looking for duck eggs for eating because their doctor told them, and a portion of the coturnix quail purchases are from people who eat them specifically because they can't eat regular eggs.

This is the extent of my experience on the subject. I would definitely discuss the option with your doctor though. :)

Babs

Hatching Eggs: www.countryegg.com
& Home Goods: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic egg allergy and chickens? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page