JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  03:32:44 AM  Show Profile
A really wonderful group of moms that I am friends with would like to start a once a month cooking group. We are still working out the particulars- and I want to know if anyone out there has had success with this type of group.

Right now it looks like we would have a host mom and cook one meal at her house together, with the other moms bringing enough prepared meals for each participant. The rules are- vegetarian, organic, freezable meals only.

Tell me what has worked for you. This idea is interesting to me- I'm just stumped for what I would make (I generally only freeze the soups I make and the rest of my meals are usually fresh ingredients- ie salads)
Thanks so much
Denise

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile
I have never participated in a group like this, but have in the past(it's been a while though) done the "once a month" cooking routine. I plan on getting back into that routine..and funny that you brought this up..I guess it's a little "reminder" to me to get back into doing this as it certainly is a time saver in the long run.

I'd suggest creating things like "twice baked potatoes"
or pasta dishes. Vegetarian lasagna.

There are loads of recipes online if you do a search for "once a month cooking" it should pull up plenty of websites with lots of info.

Good luck. It sounds like lots of fun ..getting together with friends and creating meals.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:11:19 AM  Show Profile
we are meat eaters here, so for us..I have created things like taco casseroles, lasagnas, and so forth.

but you can create a taco type casserole by using shell pasta, cooked al dente, add 2 cans of refried beans, a jar of salsa, mix the beans and salsa together, add a package of cooked, drained southwest style corn(steam in the bag variety is really yummy) mix the beans, and salsa, corn all together, toss with pasta very well to coat.
Then top all with cheddar chesse, freeze.
To bake..bake at 350 for 45 minutes-1 hr if frozen. if thawed cook for 30 minutes.or until cheese is bubbly and dish is heated through.

If you are wanting a non vegetarian version simply add ground beef that has been seasoned with 1/2 pkg taco seasoning.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  09:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
just about anything that can be made with meat, can be made vegetarian... but you probably already know that... i believe the biggest thing to consider when substituting for meat is flavor... alot of times, meat adds lots of flavor to the dish, so you will probably need to add a little more seasoning... i love to use the ready to use veggie crumbles from the freezer section... made by morningstar farms... for spaghetti or chili and both of those would freeze really well! there's also tofu, which lends itself very well to freezing because it gives the tofu more of a "meaty" chewy texture. and of course, there are all types of flavored tofu, tempeh, tvp, etc to consider... i can't really think of any dish that can't be made vegetarian with a little ingenuity!
good luck.. i wish you were in my town so we could participate too!

Alison
'Be the change you want to see in the world' ~ Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

JRZFarmgrl
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Denise
Elkhorn Nebraska
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  11:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the recipe tips. I was also wondering if others have done this type of group and what suggestions they might have to offer.
Denise

So plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Denise,
I have done some form of OAMC for about 20 years. Now that our family is down to 6 & I'm in my late fourty's I'm not into the huge marathon cooking.(though it really has it's benefits when it's all done & in the freezer)

Now what ever I make, I quadriple the batch & freeze 2 or 3 portions for later. This way I still don't cook every dinner then. For instance, tonight we are having frozen chili & frozen whole wheat bread. The chili was made a month ago & the bread last week. We will have a green salad and freshly made ranch dressing along with condiments to complete our meal.

The best thing to get started is make a master list our your family's favorite dinners, and see which ones can be prepared ahead of time. Then make 2, 3, or 4 of them to freeze.

If you'd like me to share some of ours I'd be happy to.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  07:33:54 AM  Show Profile
I use the freezer cooking manual from 30 day gourmet by Nanci Slagle. The recipes are easy to follow and set up for 6,12,18,24,36 servings! This takes the frustrating math part out of multiplying ingredients.
My husband has loved every recipe, and we have a running joke that if I make dinner and he likes it, it's from THAT cookbook.
Unfortunately, there aren't many meatless dishes, but I just substitute firm or extra firm tofu.

Oh, another great thing about this book is the forms you can photocopy. So you can track what ingredients you or other group members are contributing or have on-hand.

I really like the crescent rolls. so light and buttery. yumm. I should make some for this weekend...

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Once a month cooking group Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page