Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Summer health and safety ideas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Summer health and safety ideas? Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:16:09 AM  Show Profile
What things do you keep around for summer health and well-being - aside from sunscreen? Anything that you use especially often that maybe we other farmgirls should add to our first-aid kits?

Lately I have been using a nice new, sharp, pointy pair of tweezers. It doesn't seem like a day passes that William doesn't come in from outside with slivers in one hand or another. He doesn't like me to get them out (says, "they'll get out THEMSELVES, mama!!!"), so I have to make some deft moves the tweezers and a headlamp when he's asleep. It's worth having a good pair!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  01:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Yep, we have had splinters here too...let's see....we just stocked up on bandaids and had to use them the first day for skinned knees from climbing trees. At my parents house this time of year, my mother always puts sulfur and talcum powder in a sock out by the back porch for when we go out in the yard we dust our ankles and behing our kneew. It does a fine job of keeping the chiggers away. We might be a little smelly, but at least we're not itchy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  4:39:04 PM  Show Profile
This is what I usually keep in my first aid kit at home.

Bandaides
antibiotic ointment
cortisone cream
benedryl *for bee stings ect*
ace wrap
needle/tweezers
rolled gauze and gauze pads
alcohol swabs
antiseptic spray or wipes
instant cold pack
CPR mask (I keep one in my car along with Nitrile gloves too cause you never know when you might need them when traveling)

I also keep a list of phone numbers to my different local emergency services with written out directions to where we live near the phone. I am a 911 dispatcher and I take 911 calls all the time when people cant tell me where they are because they are scared and cant recall.

I also keep the local numbers to emergency services on my cell phone because if I am at home or in my home area I want to have direct contact with the service I need. I dont want to dial 911 on my cell phone and someone 50 miles away answer it that isnt familar with where I am and might waste precious time to look up the numbers for the service I need. I am convinced that because I do this that it helped save my husbands life this past summer when he had a massive heart attack while we were driving. He required CPR a about a minute after EMS arrived and had any delay occured I dont think he would have made it.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  6:38:20 PM  Show Profile
When I think of spring and summer the first thing I look for is to see if I have any Fels Naptha soap. Grandma used it for laundry, and to scrub floors. When we broke out from being in the weeds or bug bites she sent us to wash the affected area with this soap. It stopped itching. Not sure whats in it ,but it works. It's getting harder to find though. I'm usually itching when I come in from working in the yard. This always works to stop the itching.

Teddie

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  07:41:21 AM  Show Profile
In our house, a fresh EpiPen, Jr. every spring is a *must-have* because my 6-year old is allergic to bee stings (which includes wasps, hornets, etc.) We also have to keep fresh Benadryl on hand for him in both oral and topical forms. Since allergies to stinging insects get progressively worse, I recommend that everyone, even if you or your child have never before had a reaction, *please* keep Benadryl on hand in the event you are stung.

In general, our first aid kit contains everything that Shelle listed. We also like a tube of Aloe Vera gel. It soothes sunburns like a charm and can really help with dry skin.

I also keep Ipecac syrup and activated charcoal -- along with the IL Poison Control Information -- in case (heaven forbid) someone ingests something in the yard or on a hike that they shouldn't (e.g. berries or mushrooms.)

I like a small pair of very sharp scissors in my kit for the unlikely event that clothing would need to be cut away -- say for example a bad abrasion that has torn thru clothing or a compound fracture (one that has broken through the skin.)

The last thing I have is a bottle of fresh saline to use as eye wash. We go camping and "fire ash", sand, a bug, or other foreign debris in the eye can be a discomfort. A bottle of fresh saline with an "eye cup" sure is handy for relief.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like to have a good bottle of Tea Tree oil on hand. It has great antibacterial properties for cuts and scrapes, helps bruises heal faster, is great on acne, and even helps relieve the burning sensation of a sun burn.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  07:13:02 AM  Show Profile
I've now updated my summer first-aid kit!!! Thanks for all of the ideas and information - I added Benadryl in adult and children's formulas just in case - AND I put some of each, along with a small general first aid kit and Tea Tree oil, in the car - just in case. That's a great suggestion - thank you all!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Summer health and safety ideas? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page