Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  11:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Over the next couple of days, we'll be visiting Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon national parks! They are both so close - just about an hour and a half away from us, and we go there so seldomly. I LOVE the redrock desert, and I can't wait! I sure hope the little ones do okay - this is Arthur's first trip into the great outdoors, aside from walks around here.

Do any of you have hints for hiking with little ones?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:28:14 PM  Show Profile
I was just at Arches National Park, on the other side of Utah. I think that's probably the same kind of rock. Isn't it amazing?

I'd suggest that you check the park maps for very short loop trails. If the two parks you are going to visit have a lot of scenic areas just off the main road, there may be short and easily graded trails that lead to the view or the rock formation. You can do one little loop trail and then go on to another if the kids are up for more.

The maps they gave us at Arches gave very specific info about each trail ("no shade", or "easy walk across sand, great for kids"). It sounded like the rangers were tired of having to go out and rescue dehydrated tourists! If Capitol Reef and Bryce Canyon do the same thing, that will help you pick your trails. Or, are there any books in your local bookstore that recommend the best places to hike with kids in Utah?
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic MMMmmm - the red rock! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page