Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2004 :  2:50:39 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
I've just come across this website for a Wilderness Weekend for Women happening in June 2004, near Winthrop, WA and thought I'd pass it along to those of you who might be interested. If not here in WA, then perhaps there are similar activities in your vicinity that you might participate in. I think this sounds like a good opportunity to get Mary Jane's backpacking foods 'out there', as well as for learning the skills that they will be teaching. Have a look: http://www.woga.org/women.asp

Gardener, Stitcher, Appreciator of all things Natural, & Spiritual Explorer

HiDez Gal
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Roberta
Joshua Tree, CA
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2004 :  08:55:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare,

Interesting web site. What a great idea to give people the wilderness experience and some education on what it takes. I looked at the list of instructors and one of them, Chris Tornow, built my packing equipment. She is a really neat person. I think this would be a good way to get some experience if a person was thinking about packing horses or mules but wasn't quite sure they wanted to make the leap; or for someone who has never tried it and has no interest in owning livestock but would like the experience nonetheless. The price is very reasonable compared to the cost of the packing schools which run about $1000 and up. Getting into packing can be very expensive, even if you already have the livestock. Another way to get some experience is by joining Backcountry Horsemen of whatever state you live in but i would think that for many women who aren't experienced classes like those that woga.org is offering might be a better start. If you don't have experience the support of women can be a comfort. I don't mean this in a sexist way but i think if a woman has not handled ropes (lots of rope handling and knots involved in dealing with equines) or livestock many times the men who teach these things just don't have the same way of teaching or understanding of how to present it to a woman.

I had a chance to try out some of my Mary Jane's foods during a camping trip this past weekend. I purchased a number of different products to try out with the plan to use them while packing. When i ride all day, then arrive at my destination and need to unpack my gear from my mule, set up camp and then have to prepare food it is just too much.

The camping trip this weekend was just camping out of our rigs with some day riding but nonetheless it was nice to be able to quickly fix dinner in the evening. I nearly burned the jonny cakes but caught them just in time...with a little more practice i should have the skillet baking technique under my belt. Adjusting the flame on some camping stoves or even camper stoves takes a delicate touch to get the flame low enough without it going out completely :). Tried one of the pasta meals and the cereal in the morning, all were very good and should make excellent packing fare.
Go to Top of Page

RWW
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

18 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2005 :  1:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Winthrop is a great place in a great place! The Methow Valley of northcentral Washington has undergone dramatic changes over the past 30 years, especially regarding the influx of "Seattle folks." Where there used to be green fields and pastures of horses and deer, there are now houses spread among the trees on either side of the river. Aside from the no-trespassing signs sprouting up all over, it's still a beautiful high-desert valley of sunshine and meadows, Ponderosa pines and shady side-hills. I have a standing order every fall for a box of those enormous pine cones to be gathered and shipped to me for decorative/useful projects!

Here are a couple websites that include links to recreation information, the valley webcam, photos, and bios on some interesting valley pioneers. The 70s saw auctions held at many of the old homesteads and farms; you could find some truly wonderful old stuff, still useful but no longer needed as families departed in search of work. It's one of my favorite other places on this earth when I need pure blue sky and sunshine, the sound of peepers and crickets, and farmers market on the weekend.

Rene'

http://www.methownet.com/images/FrameSet.htm
http://www.methow.com/
http://www.methownet.com/

Live, from remote Alaska!
Go to Top of Page

Wilderness Man
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Evan
Coos Bay Oregon
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2005 :  4:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Wilderness Man a Yahoo! Message
Hi, i have done a few outing in my life , some as long as 5 and 6 months long, 3 day hikes in, of cource it's been a few years but still dream of doing it again some day !
I did go on a 9 day survival trip by myself and live just off
the land/wild,a bed roll,knife some Wild edible books and a couple other small items, just last year, It was More then i hoped for :-) There is nothing like going back to NATURE !
....... Evan ..........

Ask me anything you wish ! Really !
Coos Bay, Oregon
I make Lenses for
Perscription Eye Glasses
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  06:53:19 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if this subject can be revived! I went on a canoe trip with 13 women last fall - ages ranging from 28-67 - in Ontario. Our wilderness trip was 3 nights on the water, but we spent a week together learning to paddle & portage, packing, laughing, and boosting the local economy of the International Falls-Ranier area in Minnesota. This trip was a life changing event for all of us women...we learned so much about ourselves and formed the most amazing bond with complete strangers! This program is an offshoot of a new girls camp program associated with a foundation which has run a boys summer camp for 80 years. Having wilderness canoe trips available to women has enabled mothers & sisters to experience what their children & siblings have been talking about! Women have the amazing ability to bond into supportive communities immediately, and to couple that with being in the wilderness brings out the strong spirits we women were born with. This opportunity would be a gift for any daughter, granddaughter, niece, cousin, mother, aunt, etc. If there is interest out there, I can get you promotional information as I am lucky enough to be the photographer and website administrator of this camp.

"Seek the joy of being alive."
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  5:09:18 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful- thanks for posting the site. I'm going to try to look for something similar closer to this area. I've done some day trips and overnights, but something like this where you are out there for longer sounds great!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile
Check out this website Clare, I'm voting for a small group of woman to come with me!! jo
Muzzleloading 101
There's a tanning workshop too!!
Actually I'm planning on one of these, but I'm married to an experienced outdoorsman, so I really don't need alot of the classes!!
http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=he.bow

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  6:01:47 PM  Show Profile
I needed to clarify my interest area, I cracked up when I read my post. We already hunt, I flyfish, we shrimp and fish for our food supply.

I'd love the orienteering, setting up a better camp, etc.! Doesn't it sound like fun! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  06:17:57 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to go to one of these. I love to shoot. I havent in a long time & not to kill but target only!. I used to be pretty good once.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile
This would be such a dream - a farmgirl wilderness clinic/camp! I would SO love to go - I flyfish, too, and I'm interested in the setting up camp with children aspect of things. I sure don't want to deprive my little ones of the beauty and adventurous fun to be found in nature - and I want to do it safely!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile
There is something like this here in Missouri every year. It's sponsored by the Missouri Conservation Dept., I think. I get a brochure about it every year but haven't gone. Other states might have this, too; check your states' conservation dept. webpage.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:56:38 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to put the website down of my womens/girls canoe camp
www.ogichi.org
Go to Top of Page