Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 “Farmgirl Day” 1st day of summer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic “Farmgirl Day” 1st day of summer Next Topic  

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  06:27:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I have not been on here since April, which is crazy! In ten years, I don’t think I have ever been away so long! I have missed the chatroom! I am okay, life has just been crazy this spring! I am so happy it is the official first day of summer - and I am making it my own personal “Farmgirl Day” !

Our weather was nutty all spring - first, intense heat followed by truly winter-like weather! I have been planting, weeding, cutting, and watering, and now the weather is perfect for the season. In fact, the garden and flower beds look better than they ever have!

My roses are better than ever. Here is a photo of my favorite little tea rose bush:

After so many months of quarantine in CT, the town brought my classes back. I had full classes for knitting and gardening, which ended about two weeks ago. Now I will knit for “me”. I am finishing a sweater to wear this fall, and then will do this gypsy scarf I have wanted to do, a market bag, and dishcloths.

We have been working on repairs to our house, which take time, and sprucing things up.

My daughter finished her first year of college, which was mostly at home online due to the pandemic. I had to drive her twice a week for her one “live class” which took up more time than driving her to school in elementary!

Now things are more quiet (no classes for either of us) and summer is officially here, so I am declaring the first day of summer (today) FARMGIRL DAY!

I am reconnecting to all my farmgirl friends here on the chatroom. I am hanging up my laundry line for summer to give my dryer a break, and doing laundry. I already made up a batch more of homemade laundry detergent since I was getting low.

Will bake up some crackers and sourdough bread in a bit.

Will sign up for a farmgirl swap! (I already know which one). In ten years of being here, I still have so many sweet things from farmgirls through the years.

I have a new batch of sprouts to start.

AND I will sew up something...I have a stack of fabric calling my name. After I finish errands and the rain they are promising comes, I will tuck away to my sewing room.

All while I wear my favorite apron. Tonight, I am making a homemade garden pizza for dinner. My hubs has been craving it.

I have missed seeing what all of you girls have been up to. I usually like to “visit” in the morning, but mornings have been nuts! Glad summer is here and I can slow down a bit (hopefully can keep that mentality all year, but sometimes life gets in the way).

How are my farmgirl friends? What are you doing today that is “Farmgirl”?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6584 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6584 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  07:06:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nicole Happy Summer Soltise. So happy to see you return to the farm. Since our move to Oregon almost a year ago we continue to look for our forever home.
Anxious to start a garden and make it feel like my Farmgirl special place. The weather here on the coast of Oregon has been nothing but fabulous.
Have a fun week sounds like you have a full one.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012 and February 2018

“My altars are My Mountains
and the ocean.” Lord Byron”

Women are Angels,and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly on our Broomsticks. We’re flexible like that.
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

4365 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
4365 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  08:32:33 AM  Show Profile
Your roses are just beautiful Nicole! Happy first day of summer to you! I feel like we've been having our summer yuk for about 6 weeks now! Hot and humid! I've been working our garden and mowing every 5 days( pasture grass grows fast without critters eating it!) Running my Sara back and forth to drivers ed, pressing flowers( picked tons of zinnias yesterday because the heat is getting to them), doing some photographic art, cooking new dishes for my hubs (who is home now from Afghanistan, yea!) and keeping our birds happy! We had about 7 wood ducks this year and geese fill our pond plus 8 baby wood ducks, a racoon visiting the turkey feeder, running my Sara back and forth to friends. Yes a busy summer already! I too would like to enjoy some slow time like you! Enjoy your summer Nicole! Looking forward to more news from you!

Debbie, I'VE GOT TO COME VISIT!!! I love your new home and you have been through so much! I'm so happy for you and pray that your son does well!!

Blessings to you both!!

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2691 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2691 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  09:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, What a beautiful and enchanting post... you filled my heart with peace and joy and nostalgia just by reading your words, thank you! Much needed after spending my first fathers day with out my father, was a hard week for this lil ole farmgirl, but as I find time this morning for MJF and reading many farmgirl posts, my heart is soothing and I guess I may have been celebrating your "farmgirl day" with you with out evening knowing it. Funny how MJF does that to us, huh? Sucks you in when you need it most! I hope your farmgirl day is magical for you! xo

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038

Edited by - Dreamer42 on Jun 21 2021 09:31:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  10:44:06 AM  Show Profile
HI my sweet friends!

Debbie - oh my goodness! I have been away a long time! How exciting! A move to Oregon! I have heard so many wonderful things about Oregon. I have a friend who lived in Connecticut and owned the most enchanting yarn shop. Her son moved to Oregon and after they visited, she decided to move there, too! I will have to find out where her shop is in the state. Maybe it is near you! Please also send me your new addy so I can update it.

Dianna, I am so HAPPY your husband is home from Afghanistan. How wonderful for you! I hope he is home for a good while! And I remember two summers ago running my girl back and forth to drivers ed -what a whirl. Happy and scared at the same time when she started to drive. She is a good driver though.
Your farm sounds wonderful despite the humid weather. I find it isn’t the cold nor the heat that gets to me, it is the humidity! I hope that lets up for you a bit. Enjoy your summer!

April, I am so sorry you lost your father. I worry about mine everyday. He is in Texas but we speak on the phone daily. I wish I could hug him! And I wish I could hug you! I am sending you warm thoughts right. Now! I find when I need a real good pick me up, I pull out MJ’s original Lifebook and read through. It inspires me so. I have read it so many times. I hope MaryJane you know how special it is!

I ran my errands and am now working on my sourdough bread. After it rises I will head up to sew a bit. Rain is almost here.

Love you all!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6919 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6919 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Nicole good to catch up with what you have been doing. Enjoyed reading all the posts. My FarmGirl day is a slow and quiet one - woke to MS fatigue. It'll pass and I'll spent time in my garden, kitchen, and Yellow Rose Cottage. They all bring me peace and joy.

All I can say about it being the first day of summer is it's one day closer to the first day of fall. I love the cool crisp fall and tolerate the heat of the summer. I do have something to celebrate this summer my Alabama red okra has baby okra and more blooms. Okra is kin to hibiscus so the blooms are pretty.

FarmGirl Hugs, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 2014
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

2691 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
2691 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2021 :  7:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Nicole... I ended my day in my apron with sore feet from being on them all day... I ran to market, picked out ears of fresh corn, blueberries, strawberries, came home, clean them all up, froze them, cleaned out my freezer, rotated some foods. Back to market to buy some beautiful flowers, came home to put my fingers and feet to mother earth by planting, my how I enjoy dirty feet and hands after planting. I tinkered in my garden to baby some squash blooms, my hubs always teases me this time of year that I'm out making babies in the garden (assisting in cross pollinating as I've been having issues... bees are scarce). I even bought myself a new little lipstick and wore that all day! It was a grand day filled with little farmgirl moments that I needed, all inspired by your post this morning, perfect timing... thank you! Now... off to bed to enjoy my fairy light glow and read a book while it thunders outside!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  02:45:26 AM  Show Profile
Happy Summer to everyone! You all had a wonderful. Last night after work we put up our deer fence around the garden. I am very excited about that. Buggers have been cleaning me out. Now to finish weeding and going to replant a few things.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  02:46:07 AM  Show Profile
Happy Summer to everyone! You all had a wonderful. Last night after work we put up our deer fence around the garden. I am very excited about that. Buggers have been cleaning me out. Now to finish weeding and going to replant a few things. I did wear an apron, but it was a carpenters apron, holding my post clips. lol

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  06:20:53 AM  Show Profile
April thank YOU. I was right there with you doing all the farmgirl things! I , too, went to bed exhausted but happy, a good tired from fun farmgirl things keeping me happily busy.

Hi Michele, this year it is bunnies not deer sneaking in my garden to munch! I will put a second round of fenicing at the bottom to keep Bunny from entering the veggie garden and making a buffet. Little bugger ate all my carrots!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  11:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Nicole!! It is so good to hear from you again! I am glad you have just been very busy and now have found time to jump back in the Chatroom and share what you have been up too. Your roses sure are beautiful. I also really like the idea of starting the first day of Summer as "Farmgril Day" What a great idea!

Sara, I have to say I totally agree with you about what the beginning of Summer means for those of us way down South. With the summer solstice, that means the days will begin to shorten and that means we are inching closer to Fall!! We are stuck un what feels like a tropical rain forest. Every day it is hot, humid, and bands of rain showers keep falling . It is great for Florida foliage and mosquitoes, but we people are hunkered inside except for a brief respite in the early morning . Evenings are usually all rained out.

April, my heart goes out to you this past Father's Day. Even though my Dad has been gone since 1998, there isn't a day that goes by that I think about him and miss him along with my Mom.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2021 :  3:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Sara and Winnie -- I have to agree also. Summer just officially started and already I wish it was Fall. 108 here last week.

Love and hugs April. My Dad has been gone for three years and the pain is just starting to diminish.

First day of Summer as Farmgirl Day? That sounds like a good holiday to me!

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2021 :  06:21:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

I grew up in Texas and know all about hot and humid. Weird thing is, often it gets so hot and humid here it is just like down south. It can be quite miserable! This year it has been back and forth, miserably hot and humid, then cool. But I love when the flowers are blooming either way. I can’t take the humidity and heavy heat like I used to, so I know about wishing for fall!

Had another wonderful “farmgirl” day yesterday. The simplest pleasures are really the best!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155

Suburban Farmgirl Blog

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic “Farmgirl Day” 1st day of summer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page