tigger9777
Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader & Guru / FG Guide

152 Posts

Candy
Oakley CA
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2021 :  02:37:02 AM  Show Profile
I have raised cattle for many years and I've let other people keep cattle on my property but this year I did not raise a steer so I went and arranged a visit with my friends who raise cattle sheep pigs chickens and goats for meat and sell the meat at farmer's markets I went to Jim and Eileen Hanson's farm in Clayton CA. I emailed them on May 25th and ordered a London broil for $23 to be picked up on May 29th for my Memorial Day weekend BBQ. I arranged for my friend Allie to to come along with me so she could work on her badge too. When we interviewed Jim and Eileen we found that they had started raising their own animals when they were part of the 4-H program. Jim went to school and when Jim and Eileen got 1st married they lived in Crockett CA raising animals with their 4 children. Then they moved to Clayton. They now do the farmers markets in Vallejo and Livermore as well as appointments online through their website to sell their meat. They get their bacon cured up at Roundman in Sonora California. Jim prefers to raise Herford cattle instead of Angus because he feels the cattle temperaments are better and the meat is just as marbeled and fat finished as the Angus meat. Jim showed us a Pork tomahawk cut which is rare and is pictured below. You can only get this Tomahawk cut from a larger 300 pound hog. Jim and Eileen can earn between $200-2,000 per day at the farmers markets. They know what sells in different areas and pack their trailer freezers accordingly. Jim has a generator to keep the freezers cold and they store their bulk meats at a USDA meat locker facility. You can order single packages of meat or order 1/2 or a whole animals at a time. They have a celebrity chef that orders their meats for private parties.

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6928 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6928 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2021 :  1:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Candy, that’s an awesome field trip! My husbands family has cattle they raise for meat and sell to locals. I will have to do my interview with them when I work on this badge. Congratulations on finishing another badge.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
  Merit Badge Chit Chat: Previous Topic What's Your Beef Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page