sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  7:47:52 PM  Show Profile
I have been reading a lot about the benefits of eating more raw foods...while I don't see us ever going 100% raw, I am trying to incorporate more into our diet. I thought that maybe if anyone else is trying to do this, we could post ideas and recipes here.

A couple that we like so far (even my hubby, who isn't a big fan of my eating habits):

green bean dunkers: Trim the ends off of whole green beans. Put in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Immediately pour the water off and plunge them into ice cold water. Marinade in a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce or Braggs Aminos, and a dash of cayenne. Serve with dip or hummus.

raw hummus: Sprout 1 cup chickpeas for 2 or 3 days. Blend in a blender with about 1/2 c. tahini, a clove or two of garlic, fresh lemon juice to taste, salt, a little cumin, and whatever else you like in your hummus. Add water until it will blend--I had to add quite a bit and keep stopping and stirring so that it didn't blog my blender up. It isn't as smooth as regular hummus but tastes great! I like it on crackers or as a veggie dip.

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
www.crayonartist.blogspot.com

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  6:27:20 PM  Show Profile
Leah,
I have a great book by Serene Allison it is Rejuvenate with Serene. It is a great raw food cookbook. I use it often. Also the Hacres.com website has some recipes as well.
Thanks a lot for your recipts. I am going to try those.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  7:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Here's a question, where do I find tahini? I looked in the whole foods store and the regular store but I think I'm not looking in the right section. I love hummus!

I'd like to eat more raw foods too but the availability around here in the winter is pretty tough.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

sdleah
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Leah
Pittsburg TX
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  6:40:34 PM  Show Profile
Lindy,
I just got that book and I LOOOOVE it! I'm having so much fun trying her salad recipes because I am so not creative when it comes to salad making.:)

Ricki, I can get tahini at the healthy food store...at mine, it's close to the peanut butter (the stuff I get is made by Maranatha, which is also the company that makes the peanut butter that I get). Or you can order it online from Azure Standard: www.azurestandard.com

www.narrowgatemorgans.com
www.crayonartist.blogspot.com
www.crayonartist.etsy.com

Edited by - sdleah on Mar 27 2007 6:41:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic raw food recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page