Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 If you could have a dream garden cottage...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic If you could have a dream garden cottage... Next Topic  

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile
So here's my question to all you fantastic farmgirls. If you could have a dream garden cottage, what would you have and how would you decorate it.

Here's my answer: I would take an old small building and put in a couple of new windows and an old fashioned wood screendoor painted of course (probably a light sea green). On the inside I would have a dropdown table to work at with painted metal stools. Of course my cottage would have a porch and a couple of rockers. I would decorate it with items repurposed from found pieces, it would be very farmhouse vintage with hooks for hats and aprons etc. I might even get a little fancy and put lace curtains in the windows-that would be a kick. So here's my answer, I want to hear ideas from all of you creative farmgirls. Have a wonderful day!

Sunshine78
www.pinecanyonranch.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:50:01 PM  Show Profile
A small log cabin with a woodstove and rocking chairs on a covered veranda. Braided rugs. Large windows looking out onto flower beds of lupins and foxglove. Lots of bird feeders and baths and if I can go all out, a small pond with ducks!
Old, large, rustic kitchen table with an antique lace tablecloth. An antique cabinet that would display only the wonderful little pottery creations and art of my girls when they were in school.
What fun to dream...
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I dream of a white picket fence with all sorts of beautiful bloomers in front and behind it. I would love to have different seating areas with different types of trees, shrubs and flowers. In the back, against my fence, I can envision tall hollyhocks, foxglove and delphinium in the back. Then gradually smaller plantings.

That being said, I moved from lush NY & CT 7 years ago and now live in an area that the great Missoula Flood came through, as well as glaciers. All the good top soil ended up in the Palouse (down by MJ's Farm). But I will not give up!! I have brought in yards and yards of soil and do have a lawn, which I probably shouldn't have done cuz I don't like wasting water in the summer. So, I have decided raised beds are the way to go and we are working on that. I love lots of bird feeders, old chairs and cool seating arrangements. It is a work in progress.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  02:17:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
How Fun!
Mine would be a victorian cottage, with a front porch, painted white with hunter green trim and shutters. It would have a porch swing and two comfy wicker chairs with a small table on one side of the front door and two rockers on the other. An arbor on one side of the cottage complete with rods where I can hang curtains or netting for tea parties and such. Inside I would have a large fireplace where I can do hearth cooking. Shelving on either side with flowing curtains that cascade onto the floor would hold my cooking needs and supplies. Forming a "U" in front of the fire place would be a heafty wood table made from recycled barnwood and polished with bee's wax forming the first line of the "u" on the left side. The bottom and right side of the "u" would be formed by two overstuffed chair and a halfs with a large ottoman in the middle to be shared by those sitting. On the other side of the cottage a large window seat the size of a twin bed with tons of throw pillows, pillows, a great teddybear, ragdoll and snuggly blankets where I can curl up with a book, friend or nap/have a friend spend the night. On the other side of the window a "bird" garden where I can watch the birds feed and fly about. The walls on the bed half of the cottage will be all built in shelves some with glass doors for display and some open for books and an area kept open for my antique secretary full of stationary to keep in touch with family and friends. If far from my house I would add a bathroom off the back, small and cute with a small sink set in a small dresser, small toilet, and clawfoot tub. The floors would be slate with throw rugs or wide planked hard wood floor. The colors would be white with pastel pinks, greens, and purples, with happy touches of sunshine yellow. Tons of vases with fresh flowers in season and candles and oil lamps. And this would be the basics of my dream garden cottage! Thanks for stopping by!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic If you could have a dream garden cottage... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page