Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  1:25:54 PM  Show Profile
created a 4 ft by 8 ft raised bed today..total cost...
less than $72.00

We took 2 8ft pieces for sides..available at Ace Hardware for about $4.40 a board..and then had another 8 ft. cut in half.

Husband created a frame yesterday..we positioned it in the yard in a nice sunny spot.

Got some heavy duty black weedblock...(about $10-$12 a roll give or take a dollar or two)
lined the bottom of the frame and I stapled it to the edges..making sure to leave enough "give" for adding in my soil.

I then purchased 18 bags of a variety of soils..organic peat/organic potting soil/and top soil

I wound up with 5 extra bags of soil..so you can do this for less than $72.00

I laid the potting soil mixture down first (each bag of each type of mix was 40 lb bags)
Then added a layer of the peat
Then topped it all off with a layer of the top soil.

Now it is ready for planting.

Anyhow..I wanted to encourage you gals that would like to start a small garden..you can ..with less than $100.00...and have good soil for it too.

Have fun and Happy Gardening!!!

I only need a greenhouse now..:0) haha

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Mar 18 2007 1:31:13 PM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  2:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tina-

Since you put the heavy duty weed block down are you going to inoculate your garden with worms?

It sounds like you did a great job! I am really impressed!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile
didn't think about adding worms..I guess I could do that.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  4:38:26 PM  Show Profile
I really want to try square foot gardening this season. I (well, the fella too) want to build a 4x4 box to start with. What I'd like to do is put a good layer of newspaper down instead of the weed blocker stuff, then fill with soil. Will that work do you think to keep the weeds relatively at bay?

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  4:45:52 PM  Show Profile
My husband worked on my raised garden beds yesterday. Last year I had two 4x4' beds but we doubled them yesterday. We used old barn boards so no cost there, and got buckets of compost at the brush dump here in town, again, free. I never added a weed stopper or anything in the bottom last year and had hardly any problems with weeds. Now I just need to purchase a couple bags of top soil and it will be ready for planting...so our 4x15' bed will have cost us $10-$15 after the soil purchase. It's so easy and fun to garden in raised beds!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  5:06:59 PM  Show Profile
The newspaper will break down VERY quickly! It is not very good if you have a lot of stubborn weeds or bermuda grass in your yard!

Tina my MIL and I are building the same type of garden. We just picked up our wood yesterday! We're gonna work on it when we are on spring break next week. We are planting eggplant, yellow sqash, zuccini, tomatoes, hot peppers, red peppers, onions, dill, parsley, basil, and maybe a few other herbs.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic raised bed-budget garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page