Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Terra-cotta pots to border a planting bed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Terra-cotta pots to border a planting bed Next Topic  

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:38:52 AM  Show Profile
I saw the cutest thing in Southern Living Magazine and thought I would share it. They took small, inexpensive terra-cotta pots and turned them upside down and bordered a flowerbed in them. Because they are round and easy to place, you could do most any shape easily. Anyway, if you have the magazine, it's on page 16. Very cute!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  4:34:32 PM  Show Profile
I have done that for years ...saw the idea at least 15 years ago in a magazine. I LOVE that look. Since we moved here I have learned to gather them all up and store them for the winter..in Calif where I used to live they were out year round. I like it especially around my little herb bed out front. I love that you can even use cracked and broken pots...and that they don't have to match..you can gather them a few at a time and just keep going and making the border longer as you get more.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  5:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Something I saw once in a magazine and then later in someone's yard that is similar is that the person bought the broken pots from anywhere they could find them (18 miles from here is a factory where they make these) and used broken pieces that were from the rim. They put the broken edge in the ground so that the smooth top was sticking out. It looked really cute (and I probably didn't describe it very well).

Anyway, I bet your border will be adorable. Have fun!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  8:02:50 PM  Show Profile
I knew a gal who used dinner plate...sunk halfway into the ground on end as a border too..none matched but all were old and neat..it was so pretty and girly!!! I have always meant to do that someday..hmmmmmmm no time like THIS year, right??

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  8:15:03 PM  Show Profile
both of those ideas sound really cute.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile
I have BIG plans this year for my flower beds, I think I may be starting new beds and the pots (and plates) just might work. The main goal is not to spend too much $$$ on the whole thing. Wish me luck! I don't know if it is possible to not spend money!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is wonderful!!! I am wanting to do some raised beds this year. Any ideas on what to use to "raise" them other than landscape timbers or cross ties?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  09:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I like that plate idea! I have always loved tea plates, but never had the space for them... maybe I could start using them along the flower beds! After all, I have headboards for trelis!

~rachel

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
OR check out my gardening activities at http://oceanfarmgirlsgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  10:19:15 PM  Show Profile
Eren I made raised bed walls using recycled wine bottles. Once word got out on the island, I had a ton. And still finding bottles being left.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile
Ohh......I love that idea! I love wine too but boy, I'd have to really go through it! If you had an outlet like a bar or resturant! I guess if you put the word out there, you'd get 'em! How did you do it? Standing upright? Let me know!

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  4:22:44 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...I use my wine bottles for more wine...;) You know, it's so funny to find this here. I am slowly cleaning up the 33 acres we just bought, and I came across a heap of rusty cans. I thought about hauling them off, then about raised beds...I think I'll line them up and make some raised beds where my husband won't see them until they look cute. I think the rusty patina goes well with the lichen on the rocks we have along some of the hills. Or am I going too far? We also have 2 rusted out old cars (Model T look) that I may move and plant to sunflowers. They add an architectural element and make me laugh. When life gives you lemons...

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  4:27:12 PM  Show Profile
oh I could just see you planting a wildflower patch around those old cars!I can just imagine black eyed susan's and bright flowers. and for fun you could get an old stuffed chicken or two and wire them to the side mirrors or horns..now that would be cute.I say go for it..have fun with them.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, great idea! The cans would be cute around a patch of pansies! I also saw a cute idea in a farming magazine that I thought I would do this summer. You take those old blue insulators and place them around a walkway or patio and put medium sized white Christmas lights under them (inside of them) Cute and cheap!

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Such neat ideas! Thank you all for sharing!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  08:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Anyone have pics to see of this? Sounds cute!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  10:33:04 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for your encouragement! Once I've got it done, I'll be sure to post some pictures. What a fun thread of ideas!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What great ideas ladies! You have inspired me to come up with a great border for my garden. I'm not sure what it will be yet, but you all have such great ideas!

Spring is one of my favorite times of year!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Terra-cotta pots to border a planting bed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page