Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's breakfast like at your house??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's breakfast like at your house?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  06:18:03 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy cooking, but breakfast is always a challenge to change it up sometimes. I become a creature of habit and have the same thing over and over. Lately DH has cereal (Honey Nut Cheerios or oatmeal), fruit (strawberries, bananas, or blueberries), OJ, coffee, and usually a bagel or whole wheat toast. I usually have 2 boiled eggs, whole wheat toast, banana, and coffee. (I do limit the eggs and some days have cereal) Later in the morning I have some yogurt usually. What's your breakfast like?? When do you have breakfast?? I am an early riser (5:30am) but try to eat by 6:30am. Mollie

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  06:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I am from The Old School. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets your body in gear. Around here, things are much simpler...not better...just simpler now that we only have three at home. We all have something different unless it is one of the days we have family breakfast (weekends). Coffee, first and foremost for my husband and I. Then he normally has a bowl of homemade granola and a piece of fruit. The kids (16, 13 and 9) have bagels, fruit and eggs or toad in a hole. In the colder weather, we do more meat/eggs type breakfast adding grain such as cooked wheat, barley or oats.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  12:42:19 PM  Show Profile
Husband leaves really early for work so the kids and I eat a little later..especially now that school is out for summer. We have cereal about once a week ..usually cheerios or chex...with juice. More often we have eggs and toast or bagel and juice. If it is cold out we have hot cereal (zoom is the kids favorite, but we have all different types) some days I make muffins the night before we and we have muffins and fruit. In summer I love to just have mixed fruit and yogurt. Once a week or so we have fruit smoothies made with goats milk, bananas and frozen berries..sometimes with yogurt. The kids would have them every day!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  1:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Okay, let me be the first one to ask - what is a "toad in the hole"? I know it must be good because it sounds terrible!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Oh it is yummy!!!! It is a piece of bread with a hole cut out (biscuit cutter works great),place the bread in a skillet with a little butter, on low/med heat, break an egg in the hole and cook until the egg is set or done to your liking. Run a spatula under the bread/egg every now and then to keep it from sticking or burning. Salt-pepper and eat!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  2:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Susan, too funny! Up here, (or at least my daughter learned this from one of her early boyfriends - was news to me!), he called them "Gypsy One Eyes". Kinda funny how they are named regionally, isn't it?

My breakfast is pretty simple. Oatmeal with a banana and a cup of coffee, usually.

I have a question for you too. What is a Savonnière?

Thanks!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 20 2005 2:04:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  2:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
one who makes soap - 'tis French - savon is soap in French.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  4:20:01 PM  Show Profile
I rememeber making toad in a hole for breakfast at girl's camp as a kid. yummy. My kids like me to make "egg McHomebodies" sometimes too...

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  7:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Toad in a hole here too but I think it is an etnically based name. Very common in England and Ireland so maybe that name is used in areas where those settlers arrived. We are fruit, yogurt, cereal people for the most part unless we have company where the request is always for french bread french toast with fresh strawberries and cream. Bagels are my son's favorite and my husband is an eggs and bacon, sausage or ham kind of man. I like the brunch approach where you can graze on a number of yummy things! But that does't happen too often around here anymore because I am the cook!I will post a recipe to share for Apple Pan Dutchy that is really good if you like pancakes and gingered apples. Sort of nice for a special morning and not hard to do. There are some good casseroles you can make ahead that are good also!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  10:38:20 PM  Show Profile
I know you gals will think I am wierd but I hate the smell of french toast cooking!! I never ever cook it at home for that reason. My husband loves it and any time we ever go out for breakfast (next to never) he always orders it. I feel guilty a little, but can't stand that smell.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  08:55:16 AM  Show Profile
Bramble that Apple Pan Dutchy sounds yummy!

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  08:57:34 AM  Show Profile
In my house as a kid my Mom called this "toad in the hole" a One Eyed Jack. But it's essentialy the same thing and it is good.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Well since I am from an Irish family, it very well may be an ethnic name. My whole family was Irish (both sides) except for one French grandmother. Jerry's parents were from Germany. All 4 grandparents came over before WW2 when Jerry's parents were young. I learned so much from his mom about cooking. And they still cooked like they lived in the old country.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  11:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Breakfast or brunch is my favorite meal to fix, but I actually only cook breakfast on the weekends usually since I work during the week. During the week it's usually cereal and fruit or yogurt and fruit and coffee, of course, made in the press. On weekends we usually have eggs and sausage, bacon or ham(DS raises pigs for FFA), sourdough pancakes(with huckleberries if I have them), French toast, etc. I also help cater on weekends for the lady that runs a retreat house just outside of town so I have lots of great breakfast casserole recipes I could share.

Bramble---is the Apple Pan Dutchy like a Dutch Baby?? I love those!

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  11:49:18 AM  Show Profile
All these breakfasts sound so yummy and healthy. I am embarrased to say what my family likes. When I was younger I used to make something called French Breakfast Puffs. Now it is a rare treat. It is sort of a cake like muffin with nutmeg flavor, rolled in butter, sugar and cinnamon. I could make a mean omelet too. DH loves sausage and likes it on a bagel with cheese. My daughter prefers Life cereal in the summer. During school it is more subtansial, hard boiled egg, muffins, juice. For myself... Let go of my EGGO, and black coffee.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile
I love French Breakfast Puffs! Whenever I make those I always eat the most :)

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  6:29:59 PM  Show Profile
what are "breakfast puffs?"

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sqrl, French Breakfast Puffs is an old Southern recipie for a muffin with nutmeg flavor, when hot out of the oven they are dipped in melted butter and then rolled in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon. They are heavenly! Everyone that has tried them has loved them. If you would like the recipe I can post it. No one can eat just one!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  4:30:59 PM  Show Profile
I like variety but eat a light breakfast: 1 egg, 1 toast, tea or coffee and fruit. Sometimes cereal: Weetabix, All Bran, Cheerios; plain yogurt with honey & walnuts, or fruit. My 83 yr. old Mom got me started on the plain yogurt, I used to eat the sweet ones only. Once a week my Mom & I go out to eat, where I splurge with bacon, but only in certain restaurants (some bacon tastes really bad!). If I have time I make pancakes from a mix, buckwheat usually. My DH eats oatmeal every day.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Young
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cindy
Allendale MI
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  05:46:24 AM  Show Profile
My typical breakfast is maybe a cup or so of Dannon Plain Fat free yogurt ( I buy it in the quart size) mixed with a diced orange. I love the combination of tart and sweet. Not a lot of protein involved in this breakfast, but it usually holds me for about 3 hours, them an early lunch. Since I am trying to watch my weight (I lost 30# in the past year...mostly doing South Beach diet and running...mind you, I am nearly 52!!)(just ran my 2nd 5k on Sat. in 30:54!!!!yay...a "personal record" for me!!!) I typically don't eat a huge farm style breakfast. Occasionally a piece of ww toast with natural p-nut butter. Oh, and always, just one cup of coffee.
Blessings,
Cindy

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2Timothy 4:7
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  06:02:36 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Homemade grapenuts today!!! YUMMY. Making another pan this afternoon so I can share them with my mom and older children.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Yetta to Sam

Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  4:23:02 PM  Show Profile
Expanding on this theme: Any summer favorites here?
I have an oven french bread recipe that is totally to die for with just picked raspberries. I always serve it when we have company as it makes a lasagna pan full. Too much for the two of us. Another favorite in summer is veggie pizza for breakfast. Easy to make a dozen at a time, freeze ten, eat two, breakfast in the freezer for 5 other days.
Thanks for all the good ideas.
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Okay, "no fair." If you post yummy sounding items, it is now *required* you post the recipe as well!

To start -- oven french bread, veggie pizza and homemade grapenuts!

:)

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:27:49 AM  Show Profile
MeadowLark, I would love to have that recipe. Thanks

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  08:29:55 AM  Show Profile
definitely have to post the homemade grape nuts. My husband loves them.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2005 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile
I have these recipes that I got out of the Chicago Sun-Times several years ago for cornmeal mush with stewed fruit. It makes a ton and it reheats well, for when you don't have a lot of time on weekday mornings (put it in the microwave or in a saucepan to reheat it, mash it up with a spoon, and it's fine.

Stewed winter fruit
2 cups mixed dried fruit, coarsely chopped (I've used all kinds, but I find that apricots, dried cranberries, raisins, and currants work especially well)
1 1/2 cups orange juic
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks (I just use a teaspoon ground cinnamon)
1 whole star anise, optional
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts (I usually omit these and it's fine)

1. In a medium saucepan, combine dried fruit, orange juice, water, bropwn sugar and cinnamon sticks, and, if desired, star anise. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until fruit is softened and liquid is reduced to a thick syrup, about 15 minutes.

2. Remove and discard cinnamon sticks. Stir in vanilla and, when ready to serve, walnuts. Serve war, room temperature, or chilled.

Morning Maple Polenta

1/4 cup pine nuts, optional (I've made it with and without, and the pine nuts are really special. They're also really expensive, so it's your call)
5 cups low-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter, optional
1/4 cup raisins (I omit this because I serve it with the stewed fruit on top)
3/4 cup milk, half-and-half or cream, optional.

1. If using pine nuts, put them in small, dry skillet over medium-low heat and toast, stirring continuously, until light golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

2. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and salt and bring to a low boil. Stirring continuously with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming, pour in cornmeal in a thin, steady stream. REduce heat to low and cook, stirring frequently, until polenta is very thick and begins to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 20 minutes. (Incidentally, if you've ever made regular polenta before, you'll find that this is actually much easier and splatters a lot less)

3. Stir in maple syrup and transfer to warmed individual bowls. Top each serving with butter, raisins, pine nuts, and a drizzle of milk, half-and-half, or cream.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's breakfast like at your house?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page