Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What's breakfast like at your house??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's breakfast like at your house?? Next Topic
Page: of 2

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  06:42:17 AM  Show Profile
A note to Aunt Jenny, I can't stand the smell of French Toast either I thought I was the only one!

Dan and I have strange schedules so during the week I wash down the vitamins with a Carnation Chocolate Instant Breakfast on my way out the door. He usually has a yogurt or some concoction he cooks up. I'm glad I'm not there to see it!

On Sundays though, I cook. When peaches are in season, I make dollar pancakes layered with peach slices and topped with whipped cream. Every eight weeks I make Belgian Waffles (the real ones with eggs and yeast) for dinner and then we wrap and freeze the extras so they can be popped in the oven briefly when we are in the mood for one. I serve the waffles with turkey sausage because I am allergic to pork I also like to make scrambled eggs with peasant potatoes and sometimes, if I have loads of time, I make a dutch pancake.

During the winter, I put McCann's Irish Oatmeal in the little crockpot before bed. It's ready in the morning and tastes so much nuttier and better than the processed stuff!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:39:18 AM  Show Profile
My husband is so stubborn when it comes to breakfast!!! He is the most laid back person I know but when it comes to breakfast he is just rigid!!

2 eggs, 4 toast. When I make omlettes he askes me to leave out the filling and give him 4 toasts with it.. when I make pancakes he wants them with 2 eggs and asks for a side of toast... then doesn't eat his pancakes :) His mom used to work in a diner when he was little and that was her "house specialty" and for him breakfast isn't breakfast unless it's boring old eggs and toast... (he wont even put jam's or honey or anything on his toasts they have to be butter only)

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:55:39 PM  Show Profile
hi all! celticheart, whats french breakfast puffs? they sound good. my husband has to have maple and brown sugar oatmeal every morning.i have apple breakfast bar and fruit. would like something crunchy but am going thru dental work, that should be done soon. anyone know when i can be a true blue farm girl. ?? still in training randi
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  2:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Boy I feel terrible. Breakfast for me is usually a cup of hot tea.
Yeah, I know... very bad. But my mom is the same way (only for her it's several cups of coffee). So it runs in the family.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  2:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know what French Breakfast PUffs were either, so I did a search and found this recipe:

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/breakpastry/breakpastry15.html

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:24:53 AM  Show Profile
We always call the "toad in the hole" breakfast "Egg in the nest". It is very yummy and we eat it quite often. I made the Apple Pan Dutchy breakfast the other day and it was a big hit!!!
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:35:12 AM  Show Profile
I never eat breakfast during the week. Not enough time and I save the calories for the mocha I drink. On the weekends I enjoy making breakfast. Frequently we have organic tater tots, fried organic local eggs and organic bacon or sausage raised by a friend. Yummy! I also enjoy having toast with homemade strawberry jam. The new cookbook I bought has some delicious looking recipes that I want to try.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  6:30:59 PM  Show Profile
My normal breakfast is some sort of whole wheat bread or toast spread with peanut butter, and a few dried apricots, or slices of apple with coffee. I'm normally up at five and out to the barn for chores by six, so I might have something more by ten or so.

On weekends I might come back in from chores and make some sort of scones or muffins to have with tea, but that's mostly in the winter. In the summer there are too many activities going on; horse shows, lessons, trail rides, etc, to take the time. Or we might go out for brunch. Sometimes I like to make scrambled eggs covered with chili, grated cheddar, and chopped onion. Or maybe topped with a good chipotle salsa. I love whole grain pancakes, too, with real maple syrup or fruit embedded in them. Back when we had chickens, I used to do a lot more with eggs, but I got sooo sick of them after so many years! It took a very long time before I could eat them again. I'm very fond of anything with veggies, that's popular. I'm not much of a meat person.
Go to Top of Page

ladybugsmom6
True Blue Farmgirl

128 Posts

Tami
Horicon WI
USA
128 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ladybugsmom6's MSN Messenger address
Our breakfasts are always simple. I like to make good old fashion Oatmeal and raisins, my kids not so much, my husband calls it gruell or even wall paperpaste. But he is that city slicker who has eaten so much processed pre-packaged food for so long thathe has no taste buds! My kids prefer honey nut and Oat O's. Personally,, i love weekends when my husband is home and He takes over the kitchen to make whole wheat blueberry waffles or pancakes or Over easy eggs. Personally, i dont have the patience to stand still enough to make that many waffles or pancakes, I mix the batter and he wields the spatula! I make a mean omlete, but his over easy eggs are better than going out!
Well I Must say, you have me planning to get up and makng breakfast in the AM, those smooties sound great! (I would make the pancakes that I was dreaming of earlier on my cast iron griddle reading a post, but I havent woken up to a farm yet and cant bear to go grocery shopping yet!)

-Tami
livin' right and loven' life!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  7:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Tami, I have smoothies every morning for breakfast! You would think I get tired of them, but I don't! I take lowfat vanilla yogurt (fat-free if I can find it in vanilla), whatever frozen fruit I have on hand (I prefer blueberries or raspberries) and some crushed ice, blend it up in the blender..yum! So fast, healthy, and good!

For the kids I usually make oatmeal, or they have cereal. Once in awhile I'll fry up egg sandwiches for them, or make a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon and toast (or muffins..or biscuits) Duncan LOVES my homemade buttermilk biscuits and gets excited whenever I say I'm going to make them...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  1:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I have been making this granola for a long time. It is my husbands favorite combination of grains, seeds etc. I make his without any dried fruit. I use as many organic ingredients as possible. But I added a couple of variations. I have sold this granola for many years at the local green market (until this year - didn't have time to do the market) and I have a steady list of customers. It would be a great way to make a little "butter and egg" money and provide a very wholesome product. I make it in 20# sessions - an all day affair!

These grains are not etched in stone...use what you have or is available. All oats is perfectly fine. We just happen to like the other grains mixed in.

8 cups oats

2 cups barley flakes

2 cups wheat flakes

2 cups wheat germ

2 cups wheat bran

1 cup rye flakes

1 cup triticale flakes

1 cup spelt flakes

1 cup oat bran

1 cup coconut

1 cup sunflower seeds

1 cup pecan meal or finely chopped pecans

1 cup almonds

1/2 cup flax seed

2 cup honey,

2 cup canola oil,

1/2 cup water.

Mix all ingredients except fruits if you are adding them. Place in large pan, bake 20 minutes at 250. Stir, bake 20 more minutes at 250, stir and bake 15 more minutes. If using dried fruit. Put your fruit in a very large heat proof container...I use a large metal bowl. Pour the hot granola over the fruits. Let cool. Package as desired.

I usually put some on the counter in a mason jar - to snack on. The rest goes to customers or in the freezer. Keeps two weeks on the counter...6 months in the freezer, though we have never had any that long!!! Makes a wonderful addition to scones, muffins, cookies. Endless possibilities. I LOVE it stirred in yogurt for breakfast. Jerry likes to take it right out of the freezer and put milk on it. The milk freezes partially. YUMMY!!

Triple Berry:

1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup cherries

Harvest Granola: add pumpkin seeds, dates, raisins & substitute maple syrup for honey.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  08:23:00 AM  Show Profile
SoapMaven, your granola looks good.

I've got a basic granola recipe in the book Moosewood Restaurant New Classics. The addition of flaxseed seems like a good one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's breakfast like at your house?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page