Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  07:41:44 AM  Show Profile

Hi, still waiting for spring here. 40 out and windy. It is green and the trees are budding out so that's a good thing.
A picture of just another thing is my sewing and craft area.
Been reading a lot, two books this week, also doing a lot of busy work, closets, bathroom cupboards, attic, my dresser drawers. I don't need any more clothes by the way. Soooo hope you are all keeping busy. What have you been doing???
Nancy Jo

NANCY JO

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6921 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6921 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  07:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo your jar of wooden spools is wonderful. As to what I'm doing - well it's what I do best - piddling - a little of this and that in no particular order.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015. & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  10:26:54 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I love your jar of wooden spools! I have a few old clothes pins and wooden spools in a canning jar that I keep in my laundry area. Most of the spools, I found in my Mom's sewing machine drawer when she gave the machine and table to me. Your collection has inspired me to look for more to add to what I have because they look so homey all together in one jar.

What am I doing?? Oh my, a bit of this and a bit of that. Nothing earth shattering for sure!! LOL!! One thing I have been thinking about lately is making-do with what I have on hand and fostering new habits for simpler living. The store shortages have reminded me that my mother never had access to so many handy and disposable products for everyday chores and keeping a home with a big family. What did she do? Most of the time I think she created what she needed from what she had on hand. Today, we have many alternatives and easy to grab solutions for just about any issue. But, I remind myself that some of that stuff is bad for the environment and also creates more trash for the every expanding landfills. While I have more time on my hands having to stay at home everyday, I am trying to figure out more make-do solutions. It is a challenge to do so and it reminds me how easy my life has been compared to that of my mother.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2020 :  8:16:33 PM  Show Profile
yeppers! me too! I love old wooden thread spools..
There was a time when moms made spool dolls with them...and children played with them! no batteries, no fancy Label, no toxic paints..

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Edited by - katmom on Apr 21 2020 8:32:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  04:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Love the wooden spools. I was just looking at mine last night. In my drawer waiting to look pretty like yours, in a glass container. Actually an old canning jar!

I tore my sewing room apart again! LoL! It looks like a disaster area! I like it for awhile and then I don't and I rearrange it again. Yikes! Hope to finish it today, or not! Also have been pulling things out and getting things ready for Good Will if they ever open again. I usually take things in but then bring things home! LoL!
That's what I miss about this staying home event! Thrifting!

Winnie, I grew up with canning, gardening, cooking everything from scratch, sewing etc. so not much different in life except having appliances that make our lives easier. I don't can as much as I used to. I freeze things more. My grandmother cooked on a big old wood stove. Wish I had that stove! Wringer washer and a big rug loom! Wish I had the loom! I do have a wood box that my grandfather made and I just took wood out and put it in my stove this morning!

Grace, amazing how creative the toys were. I have a little wooden wagon my son had and he's 46. They didn't fall apart in a week!

Be Blessed and Be a Blessing,
Darlene
Sister 1922
October 2016 Farmgirl of the month

John 11: 35 Jesus wept.

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

When it gets to hard to stand, Kneel!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  05:44:41 AM  Show Profile
Love the jar of wooden spools! I wish thread still came on the wooden spools instead of today’s plastic.

Cold here, too. It actually got colder than it was in December! Need some warm spring weather!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole
Farmgirl Sister #1155
Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
Chapter Leader, CT Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, Jan. 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blog
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6938 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6938 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2020 :  1:22:55 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple wooden spools that still have thread on them. My mom gave me them when I was younger and attempting to learn how to hand sew. Since then I have purchased some more, but they are on plastic spools.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

desperadosdream
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Malena
Versailles Indiana
USA
197 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  8:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Just came across this post. Believe it or not,I'm still using thread off wooden spools my grandmother had. Some of it was beyond using but much of it is still fine and I love them
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2247 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2247 Posts

Posted - May 12 2020 :  10:25:42 PM  Show Profile
I have oodles of wooden spools and most have some thread left on them. I give it the pull test to see if it breaks easily. Old weak thread can be used for basting.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

HollerGirl56
True Blue Farmgirl

1334 Posts

Barbara
Flat Top WV
USA
1334 Posts

Posted - May 13 2020 :  04:28:11 AM  Show Profile
I too have thread with the wooden spools and empty ones too. I never thought of putting them in a jar. Now I know how to get them out of my way and still keep them. Thanks.

Old Age Ain't No Place For Sissies!------Bette Davis
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Old Sewing Stuff Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page