Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 FINISHED... at last
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic FINISHED... at last Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Thought I'd share some pics of my finally finished denim quilt that I've been working on, off and on, for many years. I've really applied myself the last few weeks to JUST FINISH IT!! It's not going to win any awards, but I am pleased with it. It really does honor my farmgirl, farmer's daughter, farm and ranch roots and heritage. And so appropriate too, I realized when I finished it, that it was done on Father's Day. My Dad would've liked this quilt, I think.

I also included some pics of my first ever quilt.. a crazy quilt that I made in 1971, from scraps of fabric that I used to make 4-H projects, and my brother's shirts that Mom made, and some of my old clothes, and just fabric that was around home while I was growing up. My, one glance at this and all the memories of each piece send me into a VVAAAAARRRRRRROOOOOOMMMMMM time warp... I just feel sucked back in time. Amazing how cloth has this capability.

So girls, my first and my last quilts. I'm such a novice at it and it takes me so long, I think this is all I've got in me, so to speak. Onward now to other projects, like decopaging suitcases for my grandkids and all those vintage style aprons waiting to come alive from my sewing machine!!

Enjoy. AND, please share pics of your finished projects too! I would love to see them.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/farmersdaughter1230/album?.dir=/508b&.src=ph&.tok=phGkHLDBOH9q1_C7

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 19 2005 1:37:22 PM

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  1:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Clare - your quilts speak! They are lovely. When you are through with other projects on your schedule, start another quilt. I would hate to think you will not make another one, because these two are wonderful and warm and everything a quilt should be. They are exactly what I personally like. Beautiful, usable, not too fancy that a person feels they can't even touch it.....and made from pieces of your life!
Thanks for the photos!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile
I love your quilts, Clare! I so wish I had clothing still from my childhood I could make a quilt out of! I think I need to start saving some of my boys things that they have outgrown of completely (we use the hand-me-down system here..hehe) and worn out completely to start a quilt, what an inspiration! Thanks for sharing these!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  3:52:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh my I would hate to see you give up on quilting too. Take a break and once the hot weather is over, do a small quilting project, something like a wall hanging, a baby quilt or even pot holders.

I agree, your quilts are warm and useful, exactly what quilts should be.

~Carol
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Clare, you are so inspiring... I love your quilts too. They do "speak", and wear your history, thoughts,and work of the hands and heart. You will "find" another quilt someday to begin and finish. You are gifted. Thanks for sharing!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Very nice, Clare!

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2005 :  9:37:42 PM  Show Profile
Loved the pictures Clare..they are beautiful quilts.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  04:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Clare-- Thanks so much for sharing your labors of love, the quilts are great! I love all the different yet similar fabrics in your crazy quilt,and the overall effect is sunny and cheerful. Alot of the fabrics reminded me of patterns similar to feedsack calico cottons. Sort of timeless, huh?
I found your denim quilt very interesting. The choice of denim meant that your intention was to be casual, informal yet your piecing is crisp and clean and as precise as any "fancy "quilt would have. The strips and bars with the interupted cross pieces is a unique twist that makes this quilt all your own and very distinctive. (I also like the corner treatments!) You did a beautiful job and you should be proud!
You mentioned that you weren't sure you had another quilt in you. That feeling is sometimes true for me too when I have put so much effort and or time into a project. I think each thing we make holds a piece of us (who we were , what we were experiencing ) at the time we made it. When and if you are ready to quilt again , you will know.
The important thing is to feed your spirit with whatever creative endeavor gives you satisfaction, peace and joy.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  1:36:02 PM  Show Profile
Thank you girls, for your kind words, analysis and encouragement! What a great support system, eh?

I still want to see some of y'alls projects!! Please share!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm crocheting an afghan right now, I guess when I'm finished I'll share it with you guys

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  3:04:34 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful Clare!

farmgirl@heart