Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 How to keep cats out of freshly dug dirt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic How to keep cats out of freshly dug dirt Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:56:05 AM  Show Profile
I have started thinking about planting this year and I have a big problem each year. If I have freshly dug dirt or potting soil in large containers, the cats ALWAYS get in them and do their business. Tomatoes and peppers aren't too bad because I put the cage right around the plant after I put it in the container.

But I would sure like to plant some seeds in the bigger containers, but they never get a chance to germinate because the cats get in there and dig and leave....ummmmmm....cat residue (if you know what I mean). One year, I replanted around my birdbath three times before I gave up because the seeds wouldn't sit there long enough to germinate.

I love my cats and also the neighbor's cats but they can be a pain in the butt about this.

Any suggestions? Maybe if I got some chicken wire to put over them. I guess the veggies and flowers could grow right thru the wire.

Help.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Edited by - Patsy on Mar 08 2007 09:58:11 AM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  12:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Chicken wire is the best solution I think...it also prevents squirrels from stealing our bulbs and corn, pea and other seed.
A plant that will really repel cats is Rue. Cats hate it, it's kind of a pretty plant to look at and has medicinal qualities as well.
Di
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  12:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Motion detector sprinklers work well.

Robin
SALE! http://www.localharvest.org/store/M572?srt=2
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How to keep cats out of freshly dug dirt Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page