westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  05:18:05 AM  Show Profile
I've been trying to teach myself about heirlooms because I want to grow some & found a few great web-sites for anyone interested. They are in Hobby Farm 2006 may/june issue. Im taking a online class about gardening & landscaping but they have very little on the subject. These sites are very good & helpful if your interested.
www.seedsavers.org
www.seedsofchange.com
www.rareseeds.com
they also have one of much interest to me but it doesn't come up easy & is very hard to get to but I'll put it in w/ a phone no.
www.nativeseeds.org (866) 622-5561. I called the no. & they are in buss. but got a machine, will try later.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  06:40:06 AM  Show Profile
I've got a few heirlooms in my seed starter trays right now..some tomatillos, some tomatoes(black krim and a couple others)
I recently priced some heirloom tomatoes at our local Publix...$7 a lb!! you betcha I can grow them for myself then..ha.
(at least I hope so..grins)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  09:55:08 AM  Show Profile
I love the fact that I can leave seeds to my daughter that she can grow that probably wont be "commercial"and I love trying different fruits & veggies.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  11:29:52 AM  Show Profile
true...now on some things make sure that you space them far enough away from each other that they will not cross pollinate.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Seeds of Change and Seed Savers are both great companies to deal with. Johnny's Select Seeds is another source for heirloom seeds. Also if you are going to start growing heirlooms to harvest your own seed for the next year, there is a really good book called From Seed to Seed. It tells you how to harvest the seeds from everything you grow. It's a really handy book to have. I grew some heirloom tomatoes, cukes, lettuces, peas and peppers last year. Wonderful tastes! I'm going entirely heirloom this year and for good with my corn, carrots, pumpkins and watermelon, too.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  3:41:38 PM  Show Profile
Anyone have experience using those little tents that you put over the plants to keep them from cross pollinating?

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic HEIRLOOMS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page