therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  08:05:14 AM  Show Profile
Luzy -- I separate my clothes when I take them out of the washer to hang on the line. I don't do it so the small stuff won't fall in the dirt I do it because I want "like" things hanging together. That way when I fold as I take them off the line they're ready to be put away.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile
I'm extremely partial to drying clothes on a clothesline. Everything just smells better! I got this habit from my Mom. And I remember her using a glass ribbed washboard. That sound was so very distinctive and memorable. My Mom rarely uses the dryer, and even in the dead of winter, the clothes get hung up. They go in the furnace room where my Dad strung up a double clothesline, and clothes generally dry overnight! Right now I live in an apartment, but I still hang my clothes to dry. Frugal, maybe, but old habits are hard to break.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Anne
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

9 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  8:34:46 PM  Show Profile
We hung clothes out to dry a lot growing up, but now as a young adult I've had to move to the city for work. It's one of the things I miss about living here, since almost everywhere has rules against hanging laundry out.

But, as for the winter, you can most certainly hang laundry out in the winter. I grew up where we'd get 6+ feet of snow, and we still hung it out. It takes longer to dry, but it also smells better. . . like snow.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  9:24:01 PM  Show Profile
I have been really faithful in using my clothesline this summer. However, my 21 year old daughter has informed me that she prefers not to have her undies flapping in the breeze for the neighbors to see, like they are looking or care, so I end up dryihg a small load in the dryer. But everything else smells wonderful and fresh, in fact tonight we will slumber on fresh dried sheets! Love it!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Julia -- my 11 year old daughter feels the same way. The first day I hung her undies out to dry she was mortified. So now I hang them on the drying rack in the house.

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Personally I can understand your daughters' aversions to having their dainties hung out in the yard. For me, there is just something too intimate about having the neighbors look at something that sits that close to my body. I'm the farthest thing you can get from being a prude too!

Does anyone know of any companies that still make those fold out, wall mounted drying racks? I saw one in a friend's very old house once and have wanted one ever since. It folded down from the wall and fanned out.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:31:35 PM  Show Profile
my almost 11 year old daughter is the same. I caught her moving her undies behind the towells..our neighbors can't even see the clothesline from their place but she was just so upset...so I dry hers inside now too..the boys don't give a care at all..haha

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Now that you mention it, I live in a house full of boys and I don't feel comfortable hanging my undies out to dry, and I'm 30! You'd think I was over such things! When I'm at home-home I have no problem putting my undies on the line to dry. I do however get a bit embarrassed when the neighbours see me putting them on the line... How silly of me!

Cat
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2005 :  10:51:45 PM  Show Profile
I know how you feel Cat.

I found this wall mounted drying rack at Gaiam but it's expensive and not exactly what I was looking for. Their prices seem high to me. Their umbrella style clothesline is $159 and I just got one at Meijer for under $50. Maybe mine isn't as nice?

http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=gai&category%5Fname=l3%5FLaundryHousehold&product%5Fid=10%2D0023

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  2:36:40 PM  Show Profile
My hubby doesn't like his drawers hung on the line!! So I dry them inside!! :)
Myself I could care less, My mom always said at least they know you wear em and they know their clean!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2005 :  3:51:14 PM  Show Profile
I guess my daughter isn't alone. I would always try to hide them in the middle row and such, but, oh well. We all have our quirks,like the fact that every time I see the clock with numbers in sucssesion, I smile. Don't know why, I quess I am easily amused. I don't get out much.

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I am the same way with the numbers on the clock. Something from childhood I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  7:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Laura, Maybe I'm not so quirky after all! :)

Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:23:28 PM  Show Profile
I love to hang out my clothes and quite frankly I don't care who sees my underwear.I love the stiff towels but most people I know want there towels soft. I don't like drying my clothes inside because they always seem to smell like what ever I have cooked. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid this.I would like to dry them indoors all winter . In western Washinton when it starts raining there is no more hanging clothes outside. Thanks

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  11:51:37 PM  Show Profile
I think LLBean may carry a version of the fold-out wall rack too. As I recall, it wasn't cheap.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  05:44:25 AM  Show Profile
I am finding the ritual of hanging out clothes and gathering them back in so familiar and comforting -- grew up on a farm -- and the lovely scent on the towels and sheets is so wonderful!

Edited by - katie-ell on Aug 29 2005 6:19:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile
LOL...my 17 year old daughter doesn't care about her underware on the line. She figures that at least the neighbors know we wear them. honestly I'm sure the neighbours must have better things to do then look at our clothesline??! My 15 year old son on the other hand....but he is getting used to me, and my weird ways! He keeps asking 'isn't that what we have a dryer for?"
Which I guess leads me to a whole other topic....for those of you who have older kids, that have moved out, do they follow in your footsteps and try to live wholesome, wholistic lives. My daughter wants to marry a farmer, have a bunch of kids, and a garden and the whole 9 yards. My son on the other hand, keeps telling me that he is going to live in the city, won't be bothered wasting time with grass and gardens etc...I would hate to see him in the city,which is why we live in a rural area.
What are all your thoughts an experiences?
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:32:52 AM  Show Profile
My grown kids are all boys....and it is interesting to see what paths they have taken. They have all kept some of the stuff we did here at home, and done their own thing too. Oldest son is more like me than the others but second son is more of an animal lover. I think it makes a difference what sort of person they marry too. Oldest son is divorced now, but had married a vegetarian. She was more of a city gal though. He is dating a gal now who I havn't met yet. Second son is still single so it remains to be seen. I think he is most likely to be a farmer someday. So far.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  2:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have 3 girls, grown and gone, oldest one is an overworked single mom and now has a live in, he is more like us so she is getting closer to our path I think. Middle one is city girl all the way, doesn't even like being outside.Youngest is Mary Jane devotee all the way, more so than her old Mom. Go figure.
Go to Top of Page

Park Avenue
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Michele
Paradise Valley Alberta
Canada
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  4:31:28 PM  Show Profile
I guess it depends so much on their own unique personalities. LOL...just like everything else our kids do.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile
My Mom grew up in a thatched roof house where she had two outfits (one school uniform; one not), both probably hand-me-downs from 2 older sisters. I sure can't compare with that! I do however hang my clothes whenever I can, and buy locally grown food directly from the farmer. My younger sister on the other hand... I don't think she'll ever move out of the big city!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  08:42:03 AM  Show Profile
My Oldest sister is a Seattle city gal all the way, camping is staying in a house on a lake resort. My brother and his wife are suburban people, but love to garden. my little sister and her husband are small town folk, he loves to garden, she like to watch him garden. Me, I am a farm girl, without a farm. So for now my double lot in town will have to do. As for my girls, my oldest likes to garden but she and her husband will always be a town dwellers. My middle girl is still at home but would love to live in the country and have a goat, though probably never a garden. my youngest, I can see her going either way. It all has to do with the spirit of the person, I think.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  1:57:31 PM  Show Profile
When my oldest daughter comes home from college for a few days she always wants her sheets and blankets laundered and hung on the line. She loves that fresh sunshine smell, and says it reminds her of home. I remember the same thing as a girl growing up. My mother's laundry smelled like summertime, ahhhhhh.

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  8:46:00 PM  Show Profile
I remember as a kid walking through the sheets as they hung on the line. Now when I take the sheets down, I bury my face in them and just breathe in and out. There is nothing better!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile
As much as I love the approach of Fall weather I am also sad because I know that my clothesline days are coming to an end for a while. I have a wooden drying rack for winter but I will miss that wonderful smell until Spring comes again! You can bet if we get any sunny days at all in the winter I shall be outside hanging clothes.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Using a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page