therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile
JP -- I use clorox sometimes too. My mom and my grandma were sticklers about having the whitest whites!! Mom always said that you could tell what kind of person lived in a place by the way their laundry looked hanging on the line. And if people didn't take their clothes off the line for several days at a time then you knew they weren't very industrious.

One of the nicest parts of my morning routine is when I get out of the shower and dry off with a line dried towel. The feel and the smell are wonderful -- nothing better!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean about people leaving their clothes on the line. Mom would always notice that in the neighbors! Isn't that funny? Some people would leave their clothes on through a rain storm and then still not take them down!
But I sound critical, and really, everyone's laundry is their own business! Hence, the old saying about airing one's dirty laundry!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

TGICorie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Corie
Worcester MA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  05:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Reading all that you ladies have written brings tears to my eyes. I remember my late dear Mother hanging laundry out in the wintertime, the clothes freezing even before they were fastened to the line. She was so proud of the lines of snow white diapers,(she usually had two babies in diapers at one time), the white sheets and row after row of towels that hung each day. The laundry soap was much harsher back then and she had to do the laundry by hand for years, so her hands were always chapped and cracked, but she would stand and just look at her wash with pride. My Mom had 12 children and life was hard for her, but she took such pride in her laundry because her wash hanging in plain sight of her neighbours was like her statis symbol of her worth as a wife and mother.
Today I feel so close to her when I hang out my wash on my clothes line or rack. Now I stand and look at my wash as she did and I find myself even at my age of 58 understanding that lady more and wishing that I could share with her and tell her that I understand how she felt.
My Mom is not here, but on this forum I can pay a little bit of tribute to her.
Thankyou
corie
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  09:27:50 AM  Show Profile
I love that we can fill up 7 pages just talking about handing clothes on the line. This just happens to be one of my favorite chores if you can call it that. I didn't realize how important it was until I couldn't do it. I moved to L.A. and well living on Venice Blvd. in a city apartment doesn't give ya any room to hang your clothes to dry. One of the first things we bought was a wooden rack which I still use, but it just wasn't enough. Ya see in my family you always hang your clothes,towls, sheets and everything on the line unless it's raining or snowing. We even did it when it was so cold the clothes would be so stiff 'cause they were pretty much frozen. Ya see my Grandmom ( the head of the household ) came here from Germany right after the war and well we'll just say she's frugil and still runs the house with a little of the old ways. I hate putting my clothes in the dryer, I think it wears them out. My clothes last so long and I blame that on my clothes line. I'm happy to say that where I live now I can have a clothes line :o)

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  09:30:00 AM  Show Profile
oh hey a while back I read an article on how hanging clothes out to dry was good for your nerves. It said it was a kind of meditation. I can believe that.

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com/artisan

Go to Top of Page

TGICorie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Corie
Worcester MA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  10:43:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marybeth
I bought two clothes lines at HomeDepot in the past three months and I was so disappointed in the products. They were both the umbrella types and I loved them when I first got them. The first one didn't have a long enough pipe that goes into the cement in the ground and as we live on a hill here in good old Mass., the wind came up over the hill and took the darn clothesline and lifted it straight out of the ground and when it hit the ground one of the arms broke. We took it back and they gave us another one. This worked great for a while until one day two weeks after I started using it one of the arms that is held to the pole by an aluminum bracket split right down the side and then we couldn't get it folded to put it in the car to take it back. You should see it, I am going to try to put a picture of it on here if I can,LOL, what a pitiful thing it is now, one arm broke and all lopsided. Poor thing needs to be buried. I am still uning it and will until the last arm goes or my new one comes, which ever comes first.
Anyway we found a site on the net that makes Breezeway clotheslines. The company is in Ireland and the clothesline cost over a hundred dollars, but we sent for it two weeks ago. It is made of good quality heavy metal and it is on its way. Then we say a site "Making Laundry Easier" where they make a Molly, this is a stand that attaches to the pole of the clothesline and ajusts to height so we can put our laundry basket on it and not hurt our backs. I am so excited about these things and I can't wait to try them out. I will surely let you know how it goes.
Happy laundry all
corie
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  11:21:29 AM  Show Profile

I, like Clare, grew up in the 50's and 60's and can remember my mother using the wringer washer in the basement until I was 8 years old. I loved watching her hang the clothes on the line, in the Denver neighborhood where we lived it was still an acceptable thing to do. It is hard for me to understand why many subdivisions won't allow clotheslines. Somewhere along the line ~ no pun intended ~ it became perhaps a symbol of wealth that you did not "have to" hang your clothes out to dry?? I am so tickled that many are returning to the time honored tradition our grandmothers took so much pride in. I have not had a clothes dryer since the early 70's when I lived in an apartment building that had a laundry room. I agree, there is nothing like the smell of clothes dried in the summer sun! My three grown children started doing their own laundry in 7th grade. They quickly learned that they would need to allow drying time outside on the line in the summer and on the wooden racks in the winter. The hours spent teaching them made for wonderful memories. Thanks for all your wonderful comments!

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2005 :  12:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Well Ladies,
I haven't been in on this topic for a while. My time is so full right now but I LOVE THIS TOPIC! I am all goose flesh again thinking about how much I love the out doors and all the clothes that come in off the line smelling sooo sweet. Even my cat thinks so and I have a time of it keeping her off the pile as I fold and put away the fresh clean laundry.
Growing up the clothes line was a very multipurpose thing as it was constructed from 3 inch iron pipe cemented into the ground nothing could bend or break it even kids using it as a jungle jim.
We spent many happy summer hours building tents on the lines from all the army blankets daddy had that went camping with us all summer long. We also had it set up often as a neighborhood stage for fun little plays we would make up and then perform for the parents. Of course we had to take it all down on laundry day and help with getting all that laundry hung out to dry and then in to be sprinkled and ironed. My mother also had a Mangle and did laundry for a local restraunt which she used her mangle to iron all those lovely table cloths and napkins. Something we could not afford to own. She also ironed all our sheets as they were not permanent press but cotton muslin and she was a stickler for flat sheets with perfect hospital corners on the beds.Our clothesline tents became the staging area for a lot of our summer outdoor fun and games. Sometimes it was an army barraks and sometimes it was a field hospital as I lived in a neighborhood primarily populated with little boys so most of the games had something to do with war.
But sometimes we few girls would get there first and we would set it up as a castle with princesses needing to be rescued or have tea parties in there. What great memories from a simple clothesline.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

TGICorie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Corie
Worcester MA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  05:22:54 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Corie, Please post the web address for your clothesline source, please! I know many will be interested!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Go to Top of Page

TGICorie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Corie
Worcester MA
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, I am having a bit of trouble putting the two links on here. I am not to computor knowledgeable yet, but I will keep trying. i will however write them in so at least the others will have an idea of where to look.

Breezecather Clothes Dryers

MLE Products: Making Laundry Easy with Molly: Reduce back pain

I hope this helps

corie

quote:
Originally posted by TGICorie

quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Corie, Please post the web address for your clothesline source, please! I know many will be interested!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  11:53:36 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of hanging clothes but when I do my clothes are VERY stiff and towels are very rough feeling. Also I don't know if it's just where I live (Northern Texas) or what but my clothes do not smell fresh and sweet like ya'll describe. Mine actually smell like dirt and don't smell fresh at all. The only way I have dealt with this so far is to use TONS of fabric softener and then stick the clothes in the dryer to soften them a little after I've taken them off the line to make them smell somewhat clean. I have to stick a dryer sheet in with them. All of this seems to defeat the purpose of line drying to me. Do any of you have these similar problems or have any ideas of what to do? I use Tide soap so I don't know if I should try something else. Help please!!! I really don't want to go back to using just the dryer but I can't stand the feel and smell of my line dryed clothes.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  12:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Clothes are always stiff hung on the line. I never use fabric softener but I do pop mine in the dryer for 5 minutes before I hang them. That seems to soften them up better than doing it afterwards. The things are still not as soft as done in dryer but I prefer them that way. Maybe your clothes smell like what we all have described but it smells different to you? They don't really smell sweet, just smell like the outdoors to me. I love it.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  4:02:07 PM  Show Profile
I like to take each thing of the line and shake it ...giving it a "snap" and that sort of loosens it up some. I like the stiffer towells, but I don't always like the way t'shirts turn out on days that arn't really windy. But we do get the good smell. I sure hope someone has some ideas for ya!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2005 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I snap and fold too. I don't mind the stiffness left in the colthes as I think it works itself out pretty fast. You can try adding a little vinegar to your rinse cycle, it may help soften things (like towels) up a bit.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  09:32:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the replies so far. I will try the 'snap' thing and the vinegar rinse again. I had tried that in the past but not really happy. Maybe I didn't use enough so I will try again, do I use vinegar instead of softener? Maybe I just need to get used to all this, the smell the feel everything. I REALLY REALLY don't want to use my dryer as much as possible (especially after seeing the thread at how much it saves on electricity!! ) I'm open for more suggestions but I will try these. Thanks!!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Aug 08 2005 09:35:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  09:34:31 AM  Show Profile
I just had a thought....(no smoke is not coming out of my ears either ) I make my own Downy Wrinkle releaser spray (WAY too expensive to buy it) I wonder if I spray the clothes a little while they are on the line and then take them down and snap them and fold. Hmmm will have to try that.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:36:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lonestargal -- I was thinking about you yesterday as I was hanging a load of clothes on the line! You mentioned that you use Tide detergent. I used to use that brand but then found out that Tide leaves more residue in your clothes than any other kind of detergent. Maybe that is part of the reason for the stiffness. I now use my own homemade detergent or Arm & Hammer. Line dried clothes are never going to feel like the ones that come out of the dryer. But the stiffness does work it's way out, as others have mentioned.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, this is such a wonderful topic. I love my clothesline!! I use it daily, weather permitting. I miss it during the cold winters here. Also, there's alot of wind to deal with in Colorado at times. Like you other girls, I learned the fine art of 'clothes hanging' from my Grandma and Mom. I have a tip to pass on. Many of you probably already know this but I thought I'd share it anyway. I learned this the hard way. I separate the small articles of laundry from the larger ones as I take them out of the washer. For instance this morning I washed a load of sheets and socks, washcloths. The socks and washcloths went in the bottom of the laundry basket first then the sheets. So as I shake out the sheets for hanging, the smaller items don't go flying (if they were tangled up in the sheets)) and end up on the ground. Hope this makes sense! I like to use my favorite apron that has huge pockets in the front for my clothespins. I can't wait to slip into my nice fresh sheets tonight!! It's so great to share this with someone that ''GETS IT''.I love you guys! Luzy
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:44:56 AM  Show Profile
I just love this topic! I have several wooden clothes drying racks. I also have a clothesline in my basement for colder weather. And just to help I thought I would post the links for those clothesline dealers.

www.breezecatcher.com
www.makelaundryeasy.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Clare--I never thought of the minerals in water making the clothes stiff before. I have EXTREMLY hard water so that solves part of my problem. As for the air quality here, it's not bad at all. We don't have pollution problems here at all but if anything there would be dust (this is Texas afterall ) There is no construction near me to add extra dust in the air. I'm beginning to think it could be a smell I just need to get used to, I don't know. I've often thought...my clothes line is one of those retractable kind that I have to hang under my patio roof (the way my yard is set up with swingset, pool, storm stelter, garden etc there isn't quite enough room to put a full size line without going into the front yard)so I've wondered if because it's under the roof where there is more of a potential to get dusty that is adding to the smell.

RusticCottage--I did not know that about Tide. I've just always used that because that is what Mom used and so I continued. I will have to try Arm&Hammer when I run out. I was never taught to line dry. My grandmother did it but I only lived with her until I was 2 and now she's gone and my mother NEVER did it so I am trying to learn all these tricks on my own. But I'll try switching soaps next time I buy and see if that helps. Thanks you guys!!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Aug 08 2005 12:04:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  4:29:41 PM  Show Profile
http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1979_March_April/A_European_Style_Clothespin_Apron

Above is a free online clothespin apron pattern that I found earlier this week. I had posted it earlier on the Apron thread also.

One thng I noticed about a clothes dryer is that my clothes don't seem to last as long. The dryer and the friction from the other clothes tumbling around seems pulls the fiber out of the weave.

As for ironing, I think it's my favorite chore after laundry. I'd rather do a days worth of ironing than a sink full of dishes any day. I remember learning to iron at 4. I was responsible for my dad's handkercheifs and the tea towels. I graduated to ironing his white shirts and the rest of the clothes.

My mama grew up in a household where EVERYTHING was ironed. Sheets, towels, underwear, rags. She married my dad and for three years did the same thing until his mom caught her and said that he had never worn ironed underwear or t-shirts in his life. She stopped right then and there and from then on only guest linnens, tea towels, aprons and clothes were ironed.

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Tonight the clothesline is being used as a tent for sleeping under the stars. Sheets are the sides and lace curtians are on top so that we can stargaze. Lonestargal, I would love to have the recipe for your homemade downy spray, your just full of good recipes!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  12:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia!!! Sure I'll give it to you. I just take a spray bottle and put enough liquid laundry softener (any brand will do, I usually stick with the cheapest brand) in the bottle just to BARELY cover the bottom. Then fill the rest up with distilled water. Shake well and use. I have used this for a long long time now and it works just as well as the Downey. Because I use the cheapest softener, it lasts forever and this stuff just costs me pennies to make!!!
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2005 :  6:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again Lonestragal!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2005 :  03:40:45 AM  Show Profile
It's such fun reading memories of line drying from childhood. I loved the way the clothesline was a cheery sight when it was full. As a child I would wash my doll clothes and hang them up to dry and yes, I remember the days when Mom would "sprinkle" the wash and roll each item before ironing. She would let me and sister help sprinkle the clothes and we thought it great fun! LOL Sleeping on sun dried sheets was such a wonderful experience growing up and always brought about a feeling of gratefulness for Mom's love and how well she cared for her family. To this day I truly love sleeping on line dried sheets!
Just another reminder that it is the simple pleasures in life in which we are truly blessed! Ü

"Think HAPPY Thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Using a clothesline Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page