junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  11:13:43 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! I just thought I would throw this question out....I think it would be interesting and fun. What do you collect and how do find your acquisitions? Also, how do you display your collections? I like all kinds of things that are different and unique, but basically country. Anything that catches my eye (and can afford) I'll buy even though I may not have a place for it yet. I have an unused room that holds the finds that I don't have a spot for. I rotate every now and then. I like pottery, yellowware, but I haven't been actively collecting it for a few years. I also like primitive, even quirky country furniture, but I really don't have any more room that that...unless I sell something. I've collected vintage or antique playing marbles, then moved on the vintage matchbooks with the matches intact. Now, I've been concentrating on old cast iron cookware. I bought some things many years ago at antique shows or antique shops. I don't do that anymore...too expensive. I've bought a lot of things on eBay and belong to a couple of collectors clubs where I've gotten a couple of pieces. Anyhow, that's my story. Now, what's yours?

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  11:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Judy,
Yes collecting things you like to have around you is fun. My list is a little too long, but if you look at my blog you will get somewhat of an idea, and how I use it.
If I really like something and can afford it I will buy it, but most of the things I get are thrift store or garage sales so not a lot of money going out. Only sometimes will I do ebay or an antique store. Then if for some reason I no longer want what I have I give it away to someone who does want it.
You will have to show us pictures of your collections if you can.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:13:31 PM  Show Profile
Dang nab it. I posted on and the Dang thing after I had typed all of my Reply.
Said There was a problem I hadn't logged on . Well, here goes again.

I collect lots and lots of DUST BUNNIES. All different sizes mostly dark in color. They are really cute~~ !! Tee hee.

I love Noah's ark. and I put those into a group.
I try to group my collections according to themes.

I love bears I have several groupr. Some extra large and several small. I have some of the small ones on a country wooden shelf.

I love Country, and the Country Victorian cottage look.
I love to make hearts out of several different Needle work methods.
I sew them crochet them . Knit them. tat them. I love to bead too.
I quilt them and embrodiery them and cross stitch them

We are planning our retirment home and will soon start building on a family farm that has been in the family for genrations.
'It has been divided between 4 brothers the 5th brother is re-tired and will be going into retirement home for his age group.
But , he will be visiting the brothers and helping them on the farm.

I will have the Country Victorian Cottage look in my big. ( farm house style) county/ dinng kitchen area. with my country victoring mantel.

I get my master bedroom myslef. Because hubby snores/
I am getting up all during the night to go to the bathroom. so between the both of us ; neighter one can sleep. Ha.
I will have the same look in there
I am planning on make 2 more quilts deep pluper with roses in the material in a lighter purple. I have some really pretty fushia pink with a little marble color I am adding in it and lilac.

IN my master bath I am going with the rose look , like perwinkles. lavenders, pinks and those colors.
I brought several hears with pink roses on them to hang in there.
I have so many ideas.

I try to keep my collections in groups. and themes. Going with the country themes or Victorian thems. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Dust bunnies....hmmm....I have quite a few of my own! Lol! Funny, how they take a form all their own...sort of like snowflakes! Nancy Jo, very nice finds you've found in thrift stores! They are a great source of all kinds of stuff at very reasonable prices (also consignment shops). There are some by me that have great things that would go for double or triple at an antiques store! In fact, I've sold a couple of things through them when I clean out every now and then. Sheila, noahs arks are so interesting! I've seen some old ones (way too expensive!) and there are crafters out there that make new ones that are beautiful! Very folky. The workmanship that goes into making them is amazing! The country cottage look is very homey and warm. I love that look! That will fit very nicely in your new farm! Thank you for your replies.
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:32:14 PM  Show Profile
What a nice topic...
I love Roosters, even though others in the household say enough. They are like people, different sizes color and personalities. I keep mine in my kitchen. Plates, statues, dishes, clocks,,,whatever has a rooster or roosters on it. Friends will now, see something and buy it for me, because they know I will love it. Rule of thumb is do not spend much money. I think the most expensive one I own was a gift from hubby a few years ago, a pitcher. Yes one that you use for pouring. He is in the china cabinet.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile
There was a topic just like this last year where people posted what they collect if you want to find it.

I LOVE Victoria magazines. I collect frog & toad stuff and some other children's literature items. I can't remember what else I posted last year! : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

renren
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Allison
Nevada
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Send renren a Yahoo! Message
Hello,
I collect Tea Pots, Beanie Baby Bears, Purple Glass, Light Houses, That about sums it up. My hubby says I have to much junk, I tell him Treasures Honey.... Its nice to see what sparks interest of others. Thanks, Allison

To be like other farm girls and become there friends.
www.purpleglasslover.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Dust bunnies? Hey! Me too! Um...er....do we name them all or what?
I collect Strawberry Shortcake dolls myself and snowmen. Oh, and do kids count? Over the years I've collected nephews, nieces, step-kids, adopted kids, biological kids and now grandkids. Yup...still waiting for my empty nest *sigh*.

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:09:38 PM  Show Profile
I forget to add Teapots. my goodness talk about a collection.
I have them too.

Oh, I don't name those dust bunnies.
I have to many to name!! And besides that they get sucked up in the vac . Poor dust bunnies. Tee Hee.

In my kitchen on one wall. I am having a cabinet build. It will have glass shelves with lights in them . and betwee these two large cabinets will be a couner area with drawers undeneath to put my place mats napkins and such.
I want to put my collection of tea pots in those cabinets.
Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:13:37 PM  Show Profile
It's fun to see what everyones interests are. I love and collect primitive antiques. I recently purchased a writing desk for my cabin, and can't wait till we get everything moved in. I'll prob spend more time at the cabin than I will here in the house. One of my favorite things, (although not primitive) is a beautiful Victrola my hubby got me for Christmas a couple years ago. I also love old rag dolls. My Amish friend Fannie just made me a boy and girl Amish doll set the other day and another set to sell for her. I got the dolls just in time because her days will be spent doing other chores now with Spring coming on.

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile
So cool reading these posts! It is fun to see other peoples' interests. Did you note my id ?? (junkjunkie)
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:40:01 PM  Show Profile
My major collection is milk glass. My preferences within milk glass are the plain, unadorned stuff and hobnail. I actually detest the grape pattern; won't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole! I'm a firm believer in form having function, so I use my milk glass and display it accordingly-- in or the near the spot where I use it. I also collect Churchill Blue Willow china (at least until I acquire a full place setting for 12) and I use it for my everyday dinnerware. Another collection is cookbooks, preferably vintage, but I've become a lot my selective in the past few years and only keep and acquire ones I actually plan to use. I have one Avon pressed glass bottle, and would like to start collecting the Western themed ones.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile
As you can guess, I collect anything with barrel runners or horses. I also collect old equipment that I have setting all around my place. I even have old tools and blades,etc, hanging on the side of my barn. I also have a LARGE collection of old ropes and halters, bridles hanging on the walls inside of my house. Ok, so I also collect dust bunnies too.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  3:36:57 PM  Show Profile

Jadite and Breyer horses. I put them in the cupboard so no one would be tempted to play with them. But me hehe

My stall cleaning helpers

http://shannon-love-in-a-mist.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  3:45:49 PM  Show Profile
I collect 1) toy and doll making books and patterns, 2) felt mice from France 3) yarn 4) amigurumi and other crochet patterns, 5) seeds 6) cookbooks, esp. those that teach you how to make stuff from scratch

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  4:04:32 PM  Show Profile
I've never been much of a collector. One thing I do have quite a few of is Snowbabies. I probably have about 30 or so of those. Susan
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  5:33:49 PM  Show Profile
I collect the red-handled vintage kitchen utensils and just hang them wherever there's an empty spot on the wall. I collect the reproduction vintage Barbie dolls if they are ones that meant something to me in my childhood. I don't have my original Barbie from the 60's or any of the clothes anymore, so now I rebuy them. My Mom wouldn't pay the $5 for the original wedding dress, so I bought the repro wedding Barbie for $35! I also collect Nancy Drew books. I can usually find them at rummage sales or used book stores. I guess I never grew up.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  6:42:43 PM  Show Profile
Jan, you're talking about Bakelite right? The bright red plastic-y handles? I love that stuff; yet another aspiring collection of mine; I haven't thought about it in a long while-- thanks for reminding me about it!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  8:08:28 PM  Show Profile

chocolate labs, actually anything chocolate. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile
sorry, just feeling rather silly/goofy tonight, my husband just called from Seattle and said they were having bowling for dogs and it just cracked me up. It's actually a fundraiser to provide service dogs to old people. I just love it when people do this nice stuff!! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  02:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
What fun!!
Yes there was a topic like this last year but they are so much fun!!
I collect;
Books (non fiction mostly)
Cookbooks
Teddy Bears (but only ones that "speak" to me)
Dolls (same as with bears)
Toys from mid 70s to early 80s
Kitchen items and serving pieces
Pins from my travels and from around the world
Musical instruments (small ones at this point because of moves)
Precious Moments ... ones that have meaning to me
Victoria Magazines (for my own enjoyment)
And I love throws, throw pillows, old cooking and farming/garding tools, have started a small kleidoscope collection ( I love them!) I want to collect LPs so I can play them on a wind up player one day, toys from around the world(old ones mostly), antique furniture, and also collect games and sports items from around the world and antique ones for my husband as well as playing cards.

My decorating style would be an eclectic mix of traditional/victorian/country/cottage with surprize splashes of modern here and there. My room will be wedgewood blue and white with subtle hints of light baby pink. My kitchen will be bright white cabinetry with hunter green granite counters and dark hard wood floors and some dark wood furniture pieces with splashes of lemon yellow, pink, and purple. My Living room will be dark denim formal couches with blue and white toile chairs very light pink walls with bright white trim and molding (like dressing up a great pair of dark denim jeans with heels! A comfortable yet classy look) and so on...
But my biggest love are books!
Thanks for the fun subject, so neat to read everyones interest/styles!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  02:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Erin, we are gonna have fun when you move to Virginia Beach and I am actually IN Virginia!!! You still on schedule for moving this summer? And what are "felt mice from France"????? Since I am here, I must know, ha!

We all are a bunch of looney collectors, aren't we? But that is what makes our lives so interesting!! And such diverse things, too. I love old pottery, Rowe, McCoy, etc. but I only buy something if it is really reasonable, harder and harder these days. Love old embroidered table runners, doilies, lace, old flower frogs, birds, anything vintage for gardening, baskets, old prints and postcards. I need to stop here or MJF will run out of cyberspace.

In a REALLY cool antiques emporium I went to last weekend I found a bread board with raised lettering that had been carved along the two sides and bottom that said IN FRENCH "give us this day our bread"! Snatched that bad boy up, even though it was 30 Euro (about $40) but heck, ya gotta splurge now and then. The place outside was littered with wonderful old tubs, troughs, wrought iron gates, gazebos, big birdcages, you name it. Inside were lots of booths with everything imaginable. I even saw two upholstered boards that had antique lace patterns on them, pinned down, and the lace was about four inches complete, thread still hanging on the bobbins. They were 50 Euro each, and I thought of Sunshine immediately when I saw them. Wish I could have bought them, too..... Can't wait to hear about everybody else's wish lists!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I have been "collecting" vintage lace and quilts since I went to the flea market with my Mom as a kid. My parents liked old stuff and it rubbed off on me! Anything pre 1930's is probably ok with me. I have Blue Willow everyday dishes, Clarice Cliff Royal Tonquin (red) pattern for "good" and when we have lots of people we use my Gram's "woolworth" dishes (Gosser Pope Foral Rosepoint). Do ya think I like dishes?I have a few old salt glazed crocks and buy Rowe or Beaumont pottery repros when affordable. I like yellow or blue damask patterned tablecloths, old samplers ( and good repro kits), small floral paintings, good blankets (hudson Bay, pendleton, beacon) in native american patterns(hard to find due to $$ these days). Old florist baskets, flower frogs, botanical prints and lots more! I think that's enough for now!

Judy and Robin - You must know about "the thrift" in our area, I hope! Many of my goodies have come from there!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:25:11 AM  Show Profile
I have a huge collection of transferware . . . tons of red, tons of brown, a tad of black, a bit of blue, etc. Also, blue splatter graniteware, old quilts, old pottery bowls. old samplers . . . I just love too many things of old!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  11:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey, ladies, just realized I goofed. My apologies to both Eren and Erin for getting them confused in my mind.... still want to know what felt mice from France are, though!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  1:08:56 PM  Show Profile
I collect candles, the really good smelling ones like cinnamon, pumpkin, apple, vanilla... basically anything that smells like food lol!!! They have wonderful candles at Country Village in Bothell but it's at least 3hrs from here and it seems like I rarely get over there these days. I was looking around the farmgirl postings to see if someone on here makes good candles but couldn't find much at all. I was surprised. Am I missing something? Does anybody here make and sell candles? I especially love the soy candles. Around Christmas JoAnne's Fabric has some good smelling cinnamon candles but I never seem to learn my lesson and buy them all up when I find them. I had thought about making them myself but I've read about a high fire danger and I live way out in the country, way too far from the fire station.
Cheryl,

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you collect? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page