Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic
Page: of 4

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  06:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Since the flora and fauna vary greatly across this country I was just curious what's coming on in your neck of the woods.
We have just completed 11 days of 90+ weather and we need the break. It's too hot too fast for alot of things that were getting a slow start due to the long cool spring.The heat wave usually comes in August when everything is established and strong.
So here goes:
PICKET FENCE GARDEN (at street):
Rudbeckia, rubrum lilies , coreopsis(low type), salvia(blue/lav),
russian sage, hens n chicks,sunflowers and for annuals variegated hot pink impatiens, lemon yellow marigolds, purple salvia and blue ageratum. Nelly Moser clematis is at one end of the fence and a generic purply blue clematis at the other. There is a hedge of hydrangea (blue of course!) adjacent to this area and it always looks nice with the lilies.
HOUSE and DRIVE:
Weigelia, lace cap hydrangea, hosta, Golden chain tree, peonies, more blue hydrangea and ferns.
BACKYARD (near house):
Peonies, queen anne's lace, perrenial sweet pea, gold flame honeysuckle, pea gee hydrangea, hosta, daylilies, beauty bush,
Summer Stars dogwood , Smoke tree (my neighbor's hate it!), and tons of ferns.
FAR BACK: (Land of tidy whitey man...):
I have let almost everything grow wild and natural back here but the kids have a fort here so we need a little order. There are oaks and maples, flowering quince, ferns, viburnum, daylilies, and phlox that has seeded itself and huge english yews ( they now look somewhat like buffallo from far away!) Anything not to see him mowing in his underwear looks good to me!
So what's blooming at your house?

with a happy heart

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Your gardens sound just lovely, Bramble! We need a virtual garden tour, don't we?
At my place here's what's blooming: daylilies, petunias and snap dragons, lavender, poppies, catnip, thyme, chives, foxglove, roses are just finishing their first bloom, feverfew, something I call them bluebells and white bells, but their real name escapes me right now...sweatpeas...hollyhocks are budding out...almost, hydrangeas, and honeysuckle. And there are a couple plants along the back fence whose names I can't remember either.... Guess I have a name issue, don't I?? Jeepers... I should really make one of those garden drawings with all the names, shouldn't I? Hmmmm... good quiet time project for me.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:07:54 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, Sittin' here with my cuppa joe and had my chuckle for the day ala Bramble. You crack me up girl! Tidy whities!!! Sounds like you need one of those big bamboo screens to keep THAT VIEW out! I am envious Bramble, you have a garden of eden there! My asiatic and daylillies are blooming, the roses are taking a respite now. MY annuals are still struggling to grow, even with all the recent rains. Birds leveled my sunflowers. I have bee balm blooming and sage, coreopis, Queen Anne's lace, and some Hosta getting ready to bloom. Oh and I have several acres of very ripe wheat, oats ready to cut when my combine is fixed ( that's another story) and 2 acres of fantastic wine grapes.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh and I also have sweet william and dianthis in my windowboxes blooming, and pots of petunias, and geraniums and gerbena and painted daisies and vinca vines going crazy. There are some perenials lining the drive I can't remember the name of.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

countrymamma
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Rural Manitoba
Canada
78 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Not much because of where I live. We've had very cool weather and lots and lots of rain. Everything is green and lush though.

The only 2 things blooming right now are Petunias and Zinnias (just starting). My perennials will probably be in bloom in the next week or so. The roses have tons of buds on them. Just a bit of heat would sure help.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  07:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Everything sounds beautiful! Crepe myrtles down the drive and on the back side of my shoppe. Wisteria is its second bloom on all four corners of the fence around the house. Hot Pink geraniums in the window boxes. Some roses still blooming...all pink 7 sisters. In the herb beds...chives, Russian Sage are blooming...I also have 2 types of thyme, several sages, oreganos, Rosemary, Mugwort, Motherwort, Comfrey, Plantain, Aloe Vera, lavender, pennyroyal, LOTS of lemon balm & Sweet Annie (wormwood) out at the pumphouse. Hollyhocks are booming (my favorites!). A few poppies left. Zinnas are up and looking good. Picking tomatoes and a few cukes. Some corn will be ready this weekend. Pumpkins are peeking out of the ground!!!! We will do a second pumpkin patch in a couple of weeks. OH altheas are beautiful on the west side of our house! HUGE and full of blooms. Black elephant ears and caladiums look great...and hostas. Guess that's about it.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Girlfriends,
A lot of my garden flowers are finished already! But I still have 7 clematis vines covered in various colors of flowers. The delphinium are all 7 feet tall and almost going to seed. We have foxglove everywhere this year. They are a beautiful boquet along all of the roads round here. Iris are all done, lots of wild columbine all over the place and of course we have the ever present Rose Campion with its fuzzy grey leaves and bright pink blooms even in the driveway! My Lambs ears are blooming and the humming birds are loving them. My Cecile de Brunner climbing rose is covered everymorning with highly fragrant blooms that i am harvesting for potpourri each day. I get about a gallon of blooms a day right now. My house smells like a rose perfumery. The rock rose is opened up and beautiful. My hydrangeas are not open yet but are covered with potential. We are having a severe slug infestation this year due to the very wet and cool weather so keeping them from eating all the petunias and marigolds has been a loosing battle. They have won this year. My normal deer deterrent has been washed away each night in the nightly torrential rains we have had here so all of my prise roses have been disbudded by the deer for the first time ever since we have been here. I had about 15 large buds on my veterans honor rose ready to open at the next sunny day and the deer ate them all last night as well as all the blooming raspberries. I wish they would just eat the blackberries and leave my raspberries alone. This would have been our first real large harvest of raspberries.
the fence will get done this year! I may be blaming the wrong animal in this as we have aquired a small herd of elk over the last couple of years and they bed down just 1/4 mile up the dirt road from us, so it might actually be them who ate my roses. Have heard the male bugeling lately.
Lavaterra and clove pinks are just starting. Pansies are all over the place as well as jonny jump ups. Everything is lush and green and it all smells so wonderful with the fresh rain every night.
Most of my lavender is just beginning to set buds except for the variety that has the little top knots. We call them heliocopter lavender because we can never remember the variety name and that is what the little girl I sometimes babysit calls them.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:36:46 AM  Show Profile
columbine, lavender, comfrey and snapdragons, wild roses and pansies and Johnny jump ups. the thyme and rosemary are blooming now too.. I love this time of year...I lined my veggie garden paths with alternating yellow and orange marigolds and they look really pretty right now too.
Eileen..is that spanish lavender you are talking about???

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Could be. I have it in two different colors. The bumble bees love it!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  05:02:38 AM  Show Profile
I love hearing about your gardens and what's in bloom right now! I have a mental picture of each of you in these spaces tending them and looking forward to what's next. Gardener's are the ultimate optimists As for my garden, it's been 10 years of hodge podge that eventually is starting to have a nice and continuous rhythym I think! Garden of eden...no., more like the "garden of weedin'"!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  8:45:09 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to redeem my memory here! At the back fence I have valerian blooming and scenting the air beautifully, and scabiosa. The blue and white bells I referred to earlier are campanula. And how could I forget my prolific bachelor buttons in various shades of blue and pinks and purples! My grasses are really starting to seed out too, and those are fun to watch move in the wind, especially since we've had so much wind the last few days. .. Mine is definately a cottage garden.

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
My favorite kind!

I'm trying to figure out what to plant where next year. This year I have nothing but grass and some shrubs -- very uninspiring!

Paula J.

[quote]Originally posted by Clare
Mine is definately a cottage garden. [/navy]

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  07:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Paula-- I always tell design clients to think about the bones or structure of their gardens. What will give you pleasure through all or most of the seasons and then plant that one or two things .When I first moved here all I did for quite a while was work on the herb garden and plant bulbs because I knew for me that was something I needed to have to feel home. It was also all I could afford to do!
Sometimes you just have to live with a space for awhile before it speaks to you!
Clare --My garden is cottage style and my house is a tiny cottage so
perhaps with all the random plantings and recycled building supplies we ought to name it Hodge Podge Cottage!And ... this week the pink fairy roses are blooming right outside the window! Along with the honeysuckle, sweetpeas and rubrum lilies the scent is intoxicating!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  11:46:58 AM  Show Profile
one of my favorites is blooming now..my tomatoes..hooray!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  11:59:16 AM  Show Profile
Mine are too Jenny! And my beans too! My hydrangeas are starting to bloom and they are pure white! They are called Nikko Blues and I have acidic soil so I thought they would be pink...Hmmm wonder why they turned white? Oh well, they are still pretty

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2005 :  12:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, mine started out white-ish too, and the longer they're in bloom the pinker they are turning. Maybe yours will do the same.

Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  4:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
hey Bramble!!!
Its me again !! You certainly persuade me to respond a lot due to your humor!! Of course I got this vision of a man in his tidy whities mowin.......pretty hilarious..Its too bad you dont enjoy the view....could a change of wardrobe help?? may I suggest some of those mid thigh snugger fitting knit boxer briefs??? For him or yourself!!!!Always been a personal favorite of mine!! And....Ive actually worn them under skirts or by themselves with a t-shirt when im not in public...or mowing the lawn...Im going to be doing some tye dye with my nieces this summer...come on out and join us ....thats what a man mowin in his grundies needs........tie dyed
lawn mowin skivvies!!!party on!!!!!!oh yeah.. after 3 years of waiting my red hot pokers are finally poking!!!!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  11:14:36 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE the idea of tie died skivvies!! What a hoot it would be to have a party doing that!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
I am laughing out loud myself right now Susan! Trust me nothing more form fitting could improve the view unless I wore them on my head to block the view! An anonymous gift of some tie dyes might not be a bad idea! We usually tie dye with the kids every summer so we might slip a package or two of LOOSE fitting boxers in as well! If nothing else you have to appreciate his inhibition!

Hydrangea news--mine started out white and now are beginning to blue up so I can only suggest that all of you with pinks adjust the soil. My morning coffee grounds seem to do the trick along with accummulated tea bag contents. Mine often become a deep burgundy before they are done so I guess nature is trying to tell me something!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  8:02:06 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Bramble!! You're killin me!!!!!whatever it takes!!! At least he hasnt discovered thongs!!How's that for a visual!?? I dont even like them on the studliest of lawn boys. Thank goodness for small miracles huh?!!Criminelly!!!!!!Sounds like your hydrangea is diggin the joe....is burgundy the hydrangea version of "wonky"?Interesting....Im so glad you all are here...Im working on this quilt that is taking forever!!!And I'm finding I need to take breaks fairly often...Oh Ive got wild black raspberies doing their thing now too( Deelish with vanilla ice cream!!) and my hollyhocks are starting to bloom.. Ive got tons of them. Its been unusually HOT here early..we dont get up to this heat until August and Sept. And its ususally only a large handfull of days anyway.I took advantage of it and used my new clothesline for the first time today.Its nice to be able to have the extra time to be able to do laundry during the day and hang it out.Before when I worked I commuted so much that it was dark when I got home...except for a few months in the summer!
Even then it was 1 1/2 hours of daylight left... average. I do not miss that job!!!!!ok back to the quilt....later ladies!!!

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  09:44:19 AM  Show Profile
What a delight to read about all your gardens! Nothing refreshes me like seeing my garden progress. This noon I have just come out to discover my first tomato on the vine! Luxurious! My beans are sprouting and the basil is maturing, too. Over the weekend we laid out compost over the rows of beans and potatoes that have flowered. Lima beans, crowder peas, squash, okra ... I love this part of the season. God knew what He was doing when he gave Adam and Eve gardening as their vocation ... there is nothing like it!

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile
My pie cherries are ready to pick!!!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  5:38:54 PM  Show Profile
So are mine Eileen! Are you going to make MJ's pie recipe from her book?

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  08:35:47 AM  Show Profile
It is a baby cherrie tree so only about a cup of cherries. I made a cheese cake.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:18:44 AM  Show Profile
You all are too funny with your BVD stories. The image of the thong was just way tooooo much for me to handle. Please cover it up! There is a really icky looking man that works outside near here and I have been tempted too many a time to buy him a belt. Please keep up your pants!

I enjoy reading about everyone's gardens. I have pansies, dahlias, petunias, lavender, bachelor's buttons, butterfly bush, marigolds, dianthus, and others I have forgotten momentarily.
Go to Top of Page

Beckyanne
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
Dove Creek Colorado
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  07:48:31 AM  Show Profile
We are a bit further behind here in SW Colorado. My lilies are blooming and mock orange, snap draggons, clamatis, roses, peony, poppies, oriental flags, wagelia bush, red hot pokers, penstamons and various ground covers. In the garden I have lettuce, radishes and herbs but not much else yet. Oh, strawberries altho they are small here not enough acid in the soil. The thornless blackberries are blooming and they do really well here. The black currant is loaded too. I just love summer and my garden. There is such peace.

Love and hugs
Becky

Its just not home without a line and a flock.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page