Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic
Page: of 4

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  12:28:46 AM  Show Profile
At the moment only wallflower to speak of because it is winter. Not long now!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  1:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Floral Saucer,
We will all be getting into the drab dark days of winter when your garden is going full tilt. We will all be wishing to be there with you. So please be sure to keep us up to date on what is growing at your house when ours have all gone to bed under their covers of protective mulch. Nice to have you here.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:15:30 PM  Show Profile
I have three new coreopsis sitting in that mulch that arrived here in a box with not many leaves to speak of. Can't wait to see them, they are a bright pink color. We have seen one year here and we planted some new plants this winter and last winter. Originally there was nothing really that said "spring". Now I have heaps of bulbs, including some tulips, they were planted late, not long ago, we will see how they go. Our climate is nice and cool, we live near the mountains which helps.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  7:16:54 PM  Show Profile
It is just as hot as anywhere else in Australia in summer, but starts to cool down around 5 or 6pm, which is nice.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:01:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! We just bought our first house this past December, so this is the first season with this garden.
Front of house- Roses, red, pink and yellow, Russian sage, Cosmos, Nutmeg geranium, Pinks, gladiolas, and a daisy who's name I don't remember,oops, nastursiums.
Side of house, yellow welsh poppies, red geranium and noticed a new bud on my Foxgloves.
back of house- Roses, pansies, Snapdragons, Cosmos, Verbenia-on-a-stick,Cleome, Zinnias,White heliotrope, Sweet Peas, Chamomile, Feverfew, Borage, Red shirly poppies, orangey welsh poppies, Ladies Mantle, Lavender,Veronica speedwell, Pinks, Geum, Autumn Joy. I think that is all.
Herb garden- Lovage, thyme, Oregano, French Sorrel, chives, Pinapple sage, Sage, Lemon balm, spearment, Pepperment,Lemon Verbena, calendula.
Have a veggie garden to. should I go On? :)
You may have noticed, I love to garden. Unfortunatly, I have been fighting a famliy of deer, a mama with 3, yes 3 babies. They love my roses,Raspberries, and strawberries. My columbine never did get a chance to bloom as they ate the buds.They also love daylilies. The boogers! I have been making an organic spray that is stinky , that seems to help, until it rains,or I water. Next year my husband promises a fence. Till then I will enjoy my little haven and pateintly share it with the "little deers". Simply, Julia

"For mine is just a little old-fashioned garden, where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise." Celia Thaxter

"The most extraordinary thing in the world, is an ordinary man, and an ordinary woman, and their ordinary children." G. K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2005 :  10:11:47 PM  Show Profile
Hollyhocks and coneflower, and petunias like crazy...and I have a nice eggplant plant in the garden with pretty blooms on it right now...I try to grow eggplant every year without alot of luck...I am hoping again..we will see. All the herbs are blooming..oregano is especially pretty right now..

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  07:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny,
Sounds so pretty!
I have been told that eggplant as well as the brandywine tomatoes that I planted need several days straight of 85 degrees to set the blossoms.We havew not had more that one day of 85 and then it goes down to around 77 here so my tomatoes are not setting either. I am going to make a make shift green house around them today to see if the plastic sheeting will create the higher temps I need. Might work the eggplants in my neighbors green house are producing like crazy right now.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2005 :  5:52:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, then our brandywine tomatoes and eggplant should thrive this year...we had 3 weeks straight of days over 90 at the beginning of July. UGH!! May have been 4 weeks even...I was so hot I lost track!!
I hope this will be my eggplant year!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  9:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
My Southern magnolia tree is blooming like crazy..huge luscious white blooms that smell like lemon..they only last a day but what a glorious day. Only took 5 years to get it in the right place!And it's almost blackberry picking time..yummm!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  5:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I have attached some pictures of what's growing at my place along with some extras of our animals.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/my_hens/album?.dir=mail&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Your place is picture perfect. I haven't seen sunflowers that have two colors on them. We only have plain yellow ones.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Missy, loved your pictures. Especially the bunnies & chickens..and I think we live in the same manufactured home!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:21:11 PM  Show Profile
I found the chickens, Missy! Great pics. Thank you for sharing.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Loved the pictures missy!!! What a neat flower box!!!! Loved to see the animals and all too!!! What a pretty place!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  9:54:15 PM  Show Profile
Love those pics too Missy! What a lovely and peaceful place you have! The chickens and bunnies and goat are so cute, and I love your sunflower garden! Thanks for sharing them!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  07:35:29 AM  Show Profile
The multicolor sunflowers are called Autumn Beauty. I had never seen them before either and thought it would be fun to try different kinds this year. They actually have multiple blooms as well and are great for cutting. It has 8-10 blooms on one plant. I'ts hard to tell from the picture, but I have that area set up as a butterfly garden. There are zinnias, cosmos, nasturtiun and I have a butterfly bush. I also have some plox and calendula that I transplanted from a friends farm, but they pobably won't do a whole lot until next year.

The raised beds have carpet roses, cecile brunner rosed, pink lace cap hydrangae, pansies, sweet peas, moring glory, climbing black eye susan, cosmos, glads and painted tounge. My oregano, lavender, fennel and comfrey are also blooming.

The flower box is one that my husband built. We do a couple of outdoor sales a year and we build all sorts of them including some that we make out of old barn wood and we have done very large ones for herbs and have an old window framed on the top. We have also made potting stands with old porcelein sinks or basins inserted.( we actually set the sinks up to attach a hose for running water), benches from old beds, shadow box tables out of old windows We do all kinds of things from salvage material. I love to go junking!!!

Thanks and Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

FarmCat
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Kim
Vassar MI
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  6:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Send FarmCat a Yahoo! Message
In my small garden I have German Iris, Lilies,Voilets (already done blooming)Sunflowers and the only veggie that survived are my green and orange peppers. I planted tomatoes and cucumbers and onions and watermelon but they all died we have been having a hot dry but humid summer. I watered and fertalized them but it didn't help, very sandy soil. Oh! I forgot I have a tomatoe planet that "poped" up on its own, it is growing from a tomatoe that fell from my last year plant on to the ground. It is doing better than the ones I planted and died! Any one ever use rootblast?
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  6:56:19 PM  Show Profile
I like borage and comfrey, they are pretty.

I did read an article about butterflies once. I think they like citrus and pincushion flowers, scabiosa as well. I have one butterfly bush, it is struggling, should do better this year.
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  7:30:54 PM  Show Profile
My husband says that maybe the butterflies in the different countries like different things. Our butterfly bush is buddliea.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  8:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
What we call Butterfly bush here is buddelia too..
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  10:37:34 PM  Show Profile
I love scabiosa..have two plants right now. I spent time hacking back my enormous mess of comfrey and costmary to give it more sunshine today...They are pretty fresh, dried and as cut flowers too..love them!! I have bee balm blooming right now in an old galvanized bucket on my patio..I think it is so pretty too!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2005 :  5:43:06 PM  Show Profile
I have been able to buy some Evening Sun sunflowers, not as nice as the ones you have but exciting all the same.

Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2005 :  8:57:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lamarguerite farm

The multicolor sunflowers are called Autumn Beauty. I had never seen them before either and thought it would be fun to try different kinds this year. They actually have multiple blooms as well and are great for cutting. It has 8-10 blooms on one plant. I'ts hard to tell from the picture, but I have that area set up as a butterfly garden. There are zinnias, cosmos, nasturtiun and I have a butterfly bush. I also have some plox and calendula that I transplanted from a friends farm, but they pobably won't do a whole lot until next year.

I was offered some seeds of the Autumn Beauty, I am very excited. Thank you so much for the name of them.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  01:43:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Floral Saucer..what IS your first name BTW...would you like to trade seeds? I am sure you have some lovely things there that we don't in the US..there are many many types of sunflower seeds her for example..I think that would be fun!I am game...who else?
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  10:02:30 AM  Show Profile
I just signed up for this and not sure how to use or where I belong but my question is this:

My hubby's got a "BUMPER" crop this year and tho I usually have no problem canning freezing or cooking his harvest I do not know what to do with a back porch full of HUGE banana squash,do ya freeze what you can't eat? Have thought of taking the whole lot to a soup kitchen, lol, there are only two of us, can't eat it all!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page