Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 I bought it, now what do I do with it?!?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I bought it, now what do I do with it?!? Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  5:55:17 PM  Show Profile
Several weeks ago, dh & I stopped in a recently-opened antque store in an old rock school building. The lady has fantastic things. Anyway, I turned the corner and there was a gorgeous dresser with a round mirror with a very unusual frame around the mirror (I can't even begin to describe it, so when I get it home I'll post a picture). Anyway, I fell in love with it. I had been planning to use a dresser as the bathroom vanity, and this was perfect & the price was right, so we bought it.

Here's the strange part. It's painted -- red. Vivid, fire-engine, nail polish red. That's one of the things I liked. It makes me feel happy and cheerful (I love red). However, the more I think about it, I'm not sure how it's going to fit with the bathroom plans I had. I have a white antique claw-foot tub, and I was planning to paint the bathroom green (a kind of mossy kind of green -- can you tell I am not good at this thing called decorating) and have white towels with matching green trim and green towels with white trim, etc., etc. Now obviously, the red doesn't work. But I love the dresser and am going to use it there.

So . . . what would you do?
a) repaint the dresser another color
b) do something other than green
c) something in between -- you ladies are creative, and I'm not, so I never think outside the box but am open to anything

ALL suggestions, thoughts, ideas are extremely welcome.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  7:32:45 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I wonder if you can stain over the red paint to tone it down just a bit. Because a darker red with the moss green would look lovely! I see alot of kitchens with that color scheme!

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  7:34:14 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Ricki. My living room is a mossy green with dark red accents.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  9:52:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would use a different color- The bright read and the claw tub will be fantastic and you could use that wonderful mossy green in another area of the house. Part of the reason that color makes you so happy (as far as I can tell from your post) is the vibrancy of the color. You used so many wonderfully descriptive words- I can't imagine you wanting to change the color at all. Plus buying towels is the easiest change if you haven't already painted the room :)
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  9:54:47 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee! Save the red and use the green too. Or if you don't like the combination, move the green somewhere else... maybe the kitchen?

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  10:34:40 PM  Show Profile
I too would change wall color idea if u are that attracted to color of dresser if not u could sponge some white on it to tone down. I think its what makes a person smile this decorating thing. Put it there for awhile and you will be able to decide better and maybe paint a sample of the green behind to help u decide. Oh please post pics when u get it done ok
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  03:34:30 AM  Show Profile
Don't touch that brush (ha)!! I agree with some of the other gals; you loved that dresser BECAUSE of the vibrant red.....so that is not a negative thing. That is part of what makes it a "show stopper"; and red and green go great together (Christmas!!). Moss green can be as variable as beige, with zillions of shade differences. If you painted the walls a lighter moss tone than you were originally thinking, and got towels in a complementary (but darker) moss color, I think you would be surprised at how beautiful it looked. And on the terrific dresser, a white bowl of moss colored soaps, or clear apothecary jars with soaps, maybe a white lacy hanky or dresser scarf to cover some of the red, and I think you've got a winner there!! Can't wait to see your pictures!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  04:17:51 AM  Show Profile
LOVE the red!! Red and moss green go well together!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  04:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Sounds fantastic, can't wait to see pictures. I would some how leave the red too. My favorite color. Michele
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Green and red are opposite on the color wheel, so they are the perfect contrast for each other! So for mossy green and your new red dresser- I say "Go for it!" It's only paint, and if you don't like it, you can buy a new color! :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile
Loving the soft green and clean red colors together. I think red is a color of strength for women -- I always feel more powerful when I wear it! So you can have an empowering bathroom --? Oh, what am I talking about?? Anyway I concur with the others. Go with it!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:17:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree totally--it sounds beautiful. Nance's "picture" of your bathroom had me excited for you!

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:26:31 AM  Show Profile
Post some pics!!! My room has a sort of moss green paint color and I want Fire Engine red in the bed comforter, just haven't found good fabric yet. I love earthy colors with bright vivid red, think ROSES! They have beautiful reds and green stems and leaves. The contrast is what really makes them beautiful!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:47:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I ran your options by the other farmgirls here at work and we think you should leave the dresser as it is because we love the color red, however if it is too bright you could try to tone it down some but don't try to strip it. If you want to change it by all means do paint it!
Farmgirls in Idaho

We women here are Mountain farmgirls!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:52:33 AM  Show Profile
sounds lovely..as mentioned please do post photos when you get your room designed.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  5:06:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Ladies!! I really wanted your input and you've helped me tremendously. It stays red!

Btw, I would have posted earlier but I got to spend the day with my son in Columbia (MO). I left early this morning and we had lunch together. We had a really nice day, and it was well worth the 3-hr drive each way.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  5:55:46 PM  Show Profile
I am glad you decided to stick with the Red. It sounds beautiful!

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:32:20 PM  Show Profile
Well good for you Patti I think you will be happy with your decision if not you can always change it but do post when done love to see photo!!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  01:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
First off ((((HUGZ))) !!! It is so awsome to come back to so many friends!!! You have been missed while I was gone!

Next...Oh I agree with the gals... you loved it as is, so it should stay the way you love it! If you dont feel the green works with the red (which many shades do wonderfully) then just drop the green and rethink... I can't wait to see pics!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  08:51:31 AM  Show Profile
You love the red for its happy vibrancy, so definitely stick with that. The white claw foot goes with everything. You can still do green walls, but make it less "earthy" as I think of moss green and more fun and retro . . . jadite green would be perfect. Red and jadite with white are a 1940s classic look. Then you can scour thrift stores, yard sales, ebay, etc. for old Wilendur(or Wilunder?) tableclothes in rose prints these colors . . . I have tablecloths and napkins by Wilendur that are bright white with big red roses and jadite leaves! The napkins are perfect to sew together as valances, or a tablecloth can be remade into curtains. Anyway, it would tie everything together and would be a room that would always bring a smile to your face!

Glad you were able to spend time with your son . . . nothing more precious than time with loved ones!

Hugs and blessings!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I bought it, now what do I do with it?!? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page