LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  5:54:10 PM  Show Profile
I finally got to plant my canna bulbs today. I wanted to get them in last week but it was windy and cloudy and it just wasn't nice enough. So I planted 12 Scarlett Giants and 18 Cleopatras-these are yellow w/ red spots on them. I also planted 2 more rose bushes, a dark red and a pretty pink. So in my front garden I have 5 rose bushes(red, medium pink, bright pink, yellow, and a beautiful pink edged yellow), yellow and white calla lilies, 2 types of cannas, and a pink flowering bush of some sort-very woody w/ small dark pink flowers. I will be planting red border lilies and some carnations this weekend if my bulbs/plants arrive. I am so excited for everything to get going! As soon as tihngs get sprouting I will get some pictures for you all. My rose bushes all have leaves budding very fast. I am so ready to see flowers from my dining room!! Just had to share my excitement.
~Liz

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  7:26:05 PM  Show Profile
yay! it's always so fun to dig in the dirt and to watch things grow!
today I potted up some lettuces and watched the birds at the feeders from my deck.
fun! fun!

I bought a really pretty plant a couple of weeks ago..called a "Australian tea tree" it looks alot like a rosemary plant at first..but has tiny dark pink miniature roses all up the stems.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  05:47:35 AM  Show Profile
I need to look up what my bush is, it was here when we moved. I tried to take it out last Spring but it just came back up. It is really skinny multi 'stemmed' base-wood looking, with small green leaves-not thick. It flowers a dark/bright pink very small flowers-I've seen others around that are trimmed up to look like many stemmed flowering trees- they can get very tall, the neighbors is at least 8 feet. I just received email confirm that my bulb order was shipped out today so I should be planting again on Saturday! I hope it doesn't rain.
Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:11:28 AM  Show Profile
My bush is actually a tree-Pink Velour Crape Myrtle. That explains it's look and size of the big ones around! It is so close to the house in my front garden area I am surprised it is a tree. If I leave it untrimmed it will look out of place in my garden, maybe I'll see if DH can dig it up and move it out into the yard and I can put another rose in to replace it. Hmmmmm, now I'm thinking!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:42:15 AM  Show Profile
oh, I can't plant yet. waiting is killing me.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  07:18:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I'm so jealous of you ladies who are planting already. I'm watching the snow come down as I sit here, not a speck of grass or soil in sight. My last frost free day is in June, so I've got a ways to go. I love Cannas, your garden sounds so pretty.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  07:22:37 AM  Show Profile
I do love the Austrailian tea tree (leptospermum). I used to sell it at the nursery, but is isn't really hardy here. Even if one brought it in in the winter it is suseptible to spider mites. But really pretty and smells good. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

oceanfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

Rachel
A Little Closer to Heaven Oregon Coast
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  09:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Send oceanfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I've got some pictures of the plants I put in a few days ago on my Farmgirl Blog. Here is a direct link also...
http://oceanfarmgirlsgarden.blogspot.com/2007/03/my-peony.html
~rachel

See what I'm up to on my blog... http://minetothine.blogspot.com
OR check out my gardening activities at http://oceanfarmgirlsgarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  12:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Not even close to planting time here, either. I know exactly how you feel in NJ and WI. But, I am making plans and still going through the catalogs! I have several flower beds. 2 years ago, I put in a veggie garden and last year made it a raised-bed veggie garden. So much easier. I had tons of tangled bindweed everywhere. Doing raised beds was the easiest way to deal with that. This year it's going to be a secret medicinal herb garden off my bedroom (which has a door) and a big rock garden out front. We have lots of rocks here and we find all kinds of things to do with them. I'm afraid using plates and terra cotta pots just isn't very practical here. But what a cute idea. You all sound like you have some great gardens going.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  8:15:01 PM  Show Profile
Got the peas in yesterday. My sweetpeas are popping up along my fence and the daffodils are exploding!
Spring is in the air :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Planted some things today.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page