Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Fencing Next Topic  

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  8:38:00 PM  Show Profile
This spring I am planning about an acres worth of organic garden, but have to figure someway to keep the critters out. My plan is to put electric fencing around the whole thing at intervals about 6", 18", 3', and 6' off the ground. Does anyone have other suggestions or has tried something like this and have any hints for me? Thanks.

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  03:08:25 AM  Show Profile
Rabbits, woodchucks, mice, meadow voles and other little critters will go under 6" to get to your best looking veggies two hours before you were going to pick them. Predator urine helps with rabbits and woodchucks. Plastic owls and fake snakes help. You can use a length of hose for the snake. Move them around every few days and don't forget that they're there. I'm a big girl but I scream like a little one when I find the 5' "snake."

Do you have a dog that can pee around the perimeter of the garden? And watch for pests? I have two farmcollies that help keep pests out, including birds that like to pull up seedlings.

Motion detector sprinklers are helpful and again, don't forget they're there! A radio at night sometimes helps.

Robin
SALE! http://www.localharvest.org/store/M572?srt=2
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  04:47:00 AM  Show Profile
I just saw a spray advertised in a sales flyer that you spray aroung the perimeter of your garden and it's supposed to keep little critters and deer away (not kill them, just keep them out).

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  06:18:35 AM  Show Profile
I have just a basic wire fence, but I also have a dog. I think she does most of the keeping the critters away, because we've never had a critter problem.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  07:02:16 AM  Show Profile
When we had are large garden down at my husbands uncles, we had a huge deer problem. We put up the electric fencing exactly like you did and it did keep out the deer. I was lucky and didn't have any other problems with little critters down there but sometime I get a woodchuck or two up at our house but no deer. But our garden here is close to the house.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:15:38 AM  Show Profile
I had read that placing "used" cat litter (minus the clumps - if you know what I mean) around plants, into mole holes, etc would help repel rodents and critters away from that space. I believe it is the residual cat smell that they react to and run away from.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile
I had a problem with turkeys and deer and put up that black plastic mesh 8' high around the garden. The turkeys couldn't get through it and the deer apparently didn't like the feel of the mesh on their noses and backed right off.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Fencing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page