shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  1:31:18 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking of making a herb garden and thought it would be nice to add some lavender to make some sachets and soaps with. I dont know much about it. Is it pretty easy to grow and is it invasive? I am in zone 7 and have sandy well drained soil. I will probaly put it in a raised bed with other herbs I want to plant like, Rosemary, Basil and Coriander. Would those be compatible together? I havent grown anything but a few rose bushes in awhile so forgive my ignorance.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  2:53:28 PM  Show Profile
It's nearly impossible to start from seed, so you'll want to purchase plants or get cuttings from someone. I think once you get it started, it's pretty easy to grow.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  9:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I disagree- I have never had good luck with starts from other people and my lavender seeds have always done great! I think it just depends on the area you live in. Most lavender is pretty hardy and easy to grow.
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  9:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Do you start your seeds indoors or sow outdoors?

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  05:03:14 AM  Show Profile
I have a few bushes but my own from seed. I started one outdoors but didnt take so I start them inside now. I have them wrapped in burlap for the winter via someones advice on here & it worked. I think & Im no expert, that once the plant comes up it's pretty sure it will be ok. I grow Hidcote, its pretty hardy & great for pots & low hedges. Anything I learn about it is from my herb books. You can do so many things w/ lavender. There is a web-site I found that I really liked it's www.jardindusoleil.com/growinglavender.html hope it helps.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I do know that you need to mulch them good or cover them with straw in cold winter. I had seven bushes that I was so hoping would bloom this year. I didn't cover them well and all but one died. :(

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  07:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I always just scatter the seeds over turned earth and then water. The hardiest lavender I ever had was in Wyoming. In one year it grew to be about 2 1/2 feet tall. I never did anything but water and harvest the whole lavender. I would cut it stem and all down to about 6 inches. I never mulched or covered and sure enough- each year we had a wonderful lavender garden. It was on the hottest side of the house and provided great shade to some of the surrounding plants until they could get established.

Hope you have as great of luck with yours as I did with mine!
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile
I will go out and buy some lavender seeds then. If I find some lavendar plants later this spring I might stick some of those in the ground too!!

Shelle

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  6:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Shelle - I wrote an article on Lavendar if you would like it just email me and I will copy and paste it for you or I could post it here. Let me know!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Kathy I would love to read the article! I sent you an email.

Shelle

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  3:43:42 PM  Show Profile
Kathy I'd like to see the article as well.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  11:43:05 AM  Show Profile
Here is the article I have written on lavender - Enjoy!

Lavender – A Delight to the Senses

Lavender, the fragrant woody perennial herb has over twenty-eight species and an even greater multitude of varieties. Dating back as far as the first century and to ancient Rome and Greece, Lavender was even used among the ancient Egyptians in the mummification process. It has enjoyed its popularity over time for a variety of uses that still continue today. Lavender essential oil is the most popular in the United States, outselling all other essential oils. If you have never had the intense pleasure of inhaling pure lavender essential oil, you are in for quite a treat!

Traditional uses throughout history included the use of lavender in expelling parasites (worms) from children, and use against lice and insect bites Lavender was also a popular strewing herb for disinfection. More common uses are for stress relief, insomnia, depression and indigestion. Lavender is used in several pharmaceutical products including antiseptics, cosmetics and anti-inflammatory products. It was used extensively during the 19th century in the making of perfume. It is interesting to note that during World War I and II, that lavender was used when medical supplies were scarce to prevent infection and to relieve pain.
Over the centuries, lavender has been associated with powers in love, chastity, longevity, protection, purification and happiness. Just inhaling the scent of lavender is known to increase the alpha brain waves in the back of the head, aiding in relaxation and tranquility. Thus, our immune system is boosted by the benefit of lavender.

Growing lavender requires full sun, space between plants and good drainage. Lavender does not like "wet feet", so excellent drainage is essential. It is best harvested just before flowering, when the oil concentration is highest. With all the varieties available, it will not be hard to find one suited to your growing area. Flower colors range from white, to pink, blue and purple. Professionally, lavender is distilled for use in essential oils by steam.

When purchasing lavender, become familiar with each variety's botanical name. The most widely grown is the hardy Lavandula Angustifolia, also known as L. vera, L. officinalis, or English Lavender. Plants can range in height from a mere 8" to over three feet tall. Other popular varieties known for their sweet fragrance are 'Munstead' and 'Hidcote' lavender.

Other uses of lavender include dabbing it on your temples when you have a headache and is a popular ingredient in small sleep pillows to combat insomnia. It is a common ingredient in sachets and potpourri and is used to scent linens and prevent moth and bug activity. A lovely craft using lavender flowers is making lavender “wands”.

Lavender is one of the few essential oils that can be applied "neat" to the body without the addition of a carrier oil. It is useful on burns, insect bites and minor skin irritations. Mixing fifteen drops of pure lavender essential oil with common bath salts such as sea or Epsom salts will provide a bath that is pure heaven!

Lavender also has culinary uses. It is used to flavor jellies, honeys, cookies and breads. A wonderfully relaxing tea or tisane can be made using boiling water, honey and lavender flowers.
Before using any essential oil directly on the skin, it is recommended that you consult a qualified aromatherapist or herbalist. Never take any essential oil internally.

Katherine J. Turcotte
Copyright 2006

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  2:22:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kathy!

Your article is very informative!

Shelle

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  9:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Shelle,
The only thing I would add to this is that lavender and rosemary prefer similar growing conditions, but basil requires LOTS more water than either of them (they are Mediterranean plants and hence, think drier conditions) and my experience of coriander/cilantro is that it is a cooler weather plant and will bolt with the heat, so while it may start off well alongside the rosemary and lavender, it will finish before they do...depending on your weather in Oklahoma, but I think you have a fairly hot summer, so the basil will like the heat but would want more water than the rosemary and lavender, and the cilantro would do best planted early ... but this is from Southern California experience...also, if you have a cold, snowy winter, which I think you do, the rosemary won't winter over, but I think the lavender will, since it winters over up here in Spokane. Good luck! Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  8:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy!

Shelle

Go to Top of Page

Lisa Nezovich
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lisa
Columbus Ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  2:06:02 PM  Show Profile
I have not had good luck gowing lavender.

But in sachets you will want to super charge the buds with essential oil... they wil be fragrant on their own, but it will also fade quickly. As for soaps, lavender buds will turn brown and look like dead bugs in soap. If you want to scent the soap, use lavender essential oil since the buds scent wont be strong enough to hold up to the soap.

www.Botanical-Bath.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  3:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lisa-

What a good idea! I wouldn't have thought of putting the essential oil on the sachets right away.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  07:02:04 AM  Show Profile
I have also read about harvesting to harvest before the last bloom on the stalk blooms. I have also been told by greenhouses that lavender is best left alone-it grows best this way- no special pruning mulch etc...
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Another use for lavender,,,,I steap it (like tea) using distilled water, then strain it 2-3 times through cheese cloth. I put it in a bottle w/a spray nozzle like the little ones you can buy @ the cosmetic section in stores. I store it in the refridg (toss out & make new after 7 days). I grow my own & do not use pesticides. Organiclly grown.
It makes for a great "re-fresher" for hot flashes.... I also use it on my kitchen counters after cleaning. It is a great antiseptic. Also use it as ironing spritz and when I turn down the sheets in the evening, I give a lite spritz.
Lavender is the most awesome plant.
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Lavender and other herbs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page