Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Plants and Herbs for Livestock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Plants and Herbs for Livestock Next Topic  

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:47:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a hard time deciding what preventative vaccinations and medications to give my beef cattle. I would prefer to raise them with nothing, but that is not necessarily responsible or even humane. Flies for example, drive cows crazy and spread diseases like pinkeye. My cows range far and wide so I can't use sticky fly strips or diatomaceous earth like some people do in their barns and stables. I've resorted to using a hanging bag with powdered insecticide that they can self administer as they please. I looked for citronella powder but couldn't find any.

Here's something interesting...I've been letting my cows in to graze the small park area behind my house. Normally we mow it with a brush hog, but we don't have the tractor right now so I'm getting help from the cows. I just have to watch them close so they don't go for the roses, walk in the firepit, etc. Guess what they do? They head straight for the potato vine (solanum, which is in the nightshade family and is poisonous) that grows on our picket fence and the cedar tree by the garden. They rub their faces and bodies in the leaves and I'm positive they are doing it because those plants are naturally insect repellent. Problem is, if I let them continue, the picket fence would be history and all the lower branches would get broken off the cedar tree. In fact, they snuck over there today and busted some of the pickets in a matter of minutes. This fascinates me though.

Does anyone else know of any natural remedies for cattle and other livestock? I would love to know.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl

Edited by - Sarah Blue on Apr 27 2007 8:02:42 PM

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Sarah - that's really interesting - animals really have some great innate wisdom, don't they. I'd like to know more about natural livestock remedies and hints, too - especially now that I have a cow and four new little steers!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Plants and Herbs for Livestock Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page