Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Simplifying in the kitchen -- input needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Simplifying in the kitchen -- input needed Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  08:00:13 AM  Show Profile
I am attempting to pare down my cookware and would love to have the opinions of farmgirls. A little background, so you know what our habits are. I am not a gourmet chef, by any means. I cook basic meals (meat, veggies, potato dish -- usually the family favorite, mashed potatos) and I bake things like cookies, muffins, etc. I also love to bake bread and am hoping, once I get everything unpacked and find all my stuff, to start baking from scratch again. In the fall & winter months, I fix soup quite often.

What would you say are the MUST-haves for a small family (4) kitchen? What pots & pans (not utensils) would you insist on having?

Now, what type? I'm not a huge fan of the nonstick stuff, but should I keep some of the nonstick skillents? Or can I use cast iron for everything? In the area of pots & pans, I have some Revere Ware and some nice, heavy-ish Club Aluminum with wooden handles (the older stuff without the nonstick surface). Would you keep these or do something else when $$ permits?

My mom rarely cooked, so I'm self-taught and don't have much kitchen confidence (can you tell?), and I'm hoping to get back to basics, utilize what I have, and get rid of the clutter.

All suggestions are welcome!!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  08:48:23 AM  Show Profile
It's expensive, but it will last several lifetimes with good care-- so I'll recommend Le Creuset enameled cast iron cookware. You can literally pass this stuff onto the next generation. This is my essentials list, and I find I don't really need any specialty cookware when I have this stuff-- a 10-12 quart stockpot, a roasting pan, a large skillet with high sides, small skillet, large saucepan, small saucepan, and a braiser. All of the above should have lids. The great thing about enameled cast iron is that it can go from stovetop to oven to table-- Le Creuset looks good enough to serve family-style from. For baking, I have 4 cookie sheets, a muffin tin, four loaf pans, a square cake pan, 2 round cake pans, a rectangular cake pan, a deep dish pie plate and a regular pie plate. You could pare it down to much less, but I do a lot of baking and that basic set keeps me happy. Half of what I have is metal, half is Pampered Chef stoneware.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  08:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OH, I just did this in my own kitchen!!!Part of it was to get out of the kitchen faster and also, we are moving to a smaller space. Let me see: (we are a family of 3)
1. I own a large deep skillet/saute pan with lid, one smaller fry pan (eggs, bacon, pancakes, large pasta pan with strainer (also use it for soups), smaller pan for things like vegetables or making oatmeal. Small roaster with lid for turkey, roast beef, etc. 2 small muffin tins, 3 baking sheets, 2 cooling racks and one bundt pan ( I love bundt cake) 2 glass dishes for everything from making brownies to pot pies. One is 8 x 8 and the other is 8 x 11 or something like that. : )

I bought 6 steak knives, 2 paring, one large chef knife, a bread knife. I have a basic service of silverware for 8.

I do have a kitchen aide but I use it mostly for bread, batters, etc. But I do love it. One extremely large cutting board. Need to get a small one for meats.

I do have a garlic press (WE LOVE GARLIC and I hate chopping it), 3 cooking spoons, 2 spatula's, ladle, 2 flippers, 1 pasta spoon, baster, hand grater.

Hmmm!! I really make simple things so I don't own anything fancy. If it don't work with what I got, I either revise the recipe or just don't make it!! : )

Edited by - catscharm74 on Mar 04 2007 08:55:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:21:36 AM  Show Profile
Patti, regarding non-stick, I recently gave/threw away my frying pans and am using cast iron--at Lehman's they have every size with lids, so I have 2 10-inch and a 12-inch skillet. My farberware (i.e. wedding) pots and pans are still fine, except they can't be used in an oven with higher heat. I've bought SS All-clad for those items--a roaster and a 6 quart pot. I plan to buy their 4 quart pot with a steamer insert. I still use muffin tins that are teflon, but would like to scrap them and go with something else. That teflon does come off and into food. Ugh. I have several Corningware casseroles with glass lids, and Pyrex pie, square, bread, custard, and rectanglar pans which I love; refrigerator to oven is a breeze.
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:39:41 AM  Show Profile
I love my soup pot,It's cast iron\porcelain.Trying to go with glass bread pans too.A cast iron pan is great.I made corn bread in it the other night,works great.Also have an "insulated" pizza pan, the kind with holes in it, makes great thin crust pizza.I do like Revere Ware soup pans 'cause they're light.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I cook every night, sometimes one pot meals, sometimes 3 veges, meat thing, and working at Macy's part time really helped me with my "collection". I have Chantal cookware and Calphalon mostly, and I don't really care if they match or not. Aside from a few standard Chantal stainless 2 and 4 and 6 quart saucepans, and some Le Creuset enamel iron pots, I really LOVE this deep 14 inch skillet type pan my mother got me from QVC. I think it's called "Cooks Essentials" and I use it for EVERYTHING. If you can find something similar,I highly recommend getting one because you can do so much with it (roasts, cassoulets, even casseroles. Put the lid on and pop it in the oven. I even do simple chili in this pot. Comes with a nice heavy lid that actually fits inside the rim snuggly, and I can cook or sear on top of the stove, and then move it into an oven up to 500 degrees.

Also, I can't say enough about smaller deep stockpot (6 quart). I lost mine at a potluck (it was a 6 quart calphalon) and it was the best for a small family. Now, I can't find one in that size to save my life. I ended up with an 8 quart and it's fine, but it's sometimes too big for what I'm doing.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:22:46 AM  Show Profile
I second the recommendation for the LeCreuset! I just switched over about a year ago, and wish I had done so much sooner! We are a family of two - and I find that I use a medium skillet, a small saucepan, and a dutch oven. I have a square baking dish that is perfect for lasagna - one noodle cut in half equals one layer - and it also bakes a great loaf of bread. I also have a medium rectangle baking dish for casseroles.

I recently pared down just as you are doing. But first I paid attention to what I used when cooking for a week or so. Then I looked at what pans/pots could do double duty. From there, I chose only the most versatile pots/pans and kept those.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:25:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, LeCreuset has a store in the outlet mall at the Lake of the Ozarks, MO. Prices are great - the "seconds" only have minor errors, usually in the color. I've never had a problem with quality.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:43:28 AM  Show Profile
My must have is a heavy cast iron dutch oven. I asked for one for Christmas about 12 years ago...my DH got it for me and I use it all of the time. The family calls it my magic pot because everything that goes into it tastes wonderful. I think if I could have only one pot/pan in my kitchen this would be it.

We will be paring down in the next year to make a life style change and move....simplification of our lives!!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:49:50 AM  Show Profile
I guess you have to consider how basic you want to go. My aunt was hired on at a museum because she knows how to work wonders with a wood stove and cast iron. It's what she was raised on. She's in her 90's now. A great cast iron skillet, and a great cast iron stew pot have many uses, both will need lids. Those, a square butcher knife, a smaller hand knife, and a wooden spoon should get you through a prairie crossing and homesteading out west.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much ladies! This is exactly what I was needing, and I appreciate your help

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  12:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I agree with Michelle - cast iron is great if you know how to cook with it and can care for it properly. If you like to soak your pans though, you'll ruin it fast and you probably need a different type of pan.

We're getting ready to do this very thing - pare down to only the essentials. I'll keep my extras in storage, but if I'm living in the travel trailer, I won't have room for much. So I'm picking out only what I use the most. The rest will get stored in the household goods/pantry area in our storage barn.

I tend to cook a lot with my oven and love my casserole dishes - pyrex, glass, whatever. I definitely recommend at least one deep dish though for stuff like lasagna. It makes the biggest difference. We found one recently that is not only a deep square dish the exact length of the lasanga noodles but it also comes with a glass cover. I'll keep that one out and pack the rest.

A good frying pan is essential. I prefer stainless ones, not the nonstick kind. And weight is important to me when using a skillet. I like a heavy pan.

I also like my knives. I have to have a good set of knives that do NOT get soaked EVER. I take very good care of them. I'll keep some steak knives out for eating with, because my knives are ONLY for food prep. I'll also keep out my three cutting boards - used for meat, veggies and dairy/bread.

I like deep stock pots, thanks to a commercial cooking background, but with only two of us, it promotes the tendency to cook way TOO much food at one time. So I'm trying to scale down to a smaller pan, esp. in the trailer. Sometimes, though, you just need a DEEP pot, esp. for pasta or soups. I haven't decided what to do about this. Probably keep the big pots in the pantry area of the barn, but accessible for when I need them.

As far as baking goes, I prefer the glass pie plates. I'll keep one out and pack everything else. I won't be baking cakes in the trailer, but if I do, I'll use the square glass lasagne dish.

If it turns out that we use our grill for most of our cooking instead of using the camper's oven, I may have to change my choices to something that can be used on the grill. Probably just some of the older metal pans instead and save the good stuff for the house.

We have purchased two sizes of cast iron dutch ovens, and a cast iron grill, plus a couple of different types of grilling baskets for using on the grill. We'll probably use them alot. And maybe some skewers for hot dogs and kebobs.

The only other thing I must have is some sort of a coffee pot/tea kettle for heating up water on the grill. DH has to have his coffee, but we have found a nice french drip coffee pot. Just needs hot water.

All of our electric appliances will be stored until the house is done.

Anything else??? Hmmmmm.... it'd be different if I had electricity but I'd probably keep out my pasta maker and Kitchenaid.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  1:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Great thread!! I was thinking of paring down when I start packing up my kitchen and this has given me a lot to think about!

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I went through my kitchen about 6 months ago. First I emptied all the cabinets and anything that had set long enough to have collected dust had to go (unless it was an heirloom). My 5 essential items would have to be 1) 2 gallon soup/stock pot 2) 18 inch cast iron frying pan 3) stainless steal "bread bowls" 4) good quality ladel, spoon, spatula set 5) 1 quart canning jars for yogurt and leftovers. My favorite time saving items are the Vitamix and the huge electric griddle I got for Christmas. The one item I would simple perish with out is a tea kettle.

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how I yearn for a Vitamix!!! Maybe one day.... After my dad passed last year, my mom told me she gave his away. I was so upset. I would've paid for the postage. Oh well.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:52:54 AM  Show Profile
All I can say about paring down is that it is SOOO liberating! You will feel like a new woman! Go for it Patti and don't look back! Cindy
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  1:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I love my cast iron. I have a fry pan, a skillet and a small dutch oven. Picked up a lil bitty skillet at a yard sale that just needed some tlc that I can make a single egg in. All I need is a larger dutch oven and I'll be set. For sauce pans I have my grandmothers collection of three stainless steel copper bottom pans. Another thing that I love about cast iron, it does double duty when you go camping you can take it with and cook right in the fire with it. I find it is just as easy or easier to care for than teflon coated ones. I can't imagine that silicon, teflon and the like are actually good for us. ick

I'm also trying to simplify things and get away from using anything plastic. I have many empty canning jars that need some good use. I save the lids when I open a canned item and use them for storing things in the jars that don't need to be sealed.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Edited by - MustangSuzie on Mar 06 2007 1:11:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Simplifying in the kitchen -- input needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page