Page: of 2

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  3:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Oh boy! Thanks Ronna...I'll check the mail today.
Kaylyn...2 of the three starters I whipped up this week have reached that bubbly stage. I use glass quart jars to store my starter covered with saran wrap and a rubber band. To start them, I used the jars and covered them with a flour sack towel. You might try either stirring the starter daily until it takes hold, so the top doesn't have time to really dry out, or after the first day cover it lightly with saran wrap so the moisture that condenses drips back down on the top to keep it from crusting.
Results so far: Potato starter looked terrible at first. Peelings all turned black. Very unappetizing. However, it ripened the fastest and has now turned white. Nice liquid layer forming, and now lives in the fridge. Good smell. Waiting for hooch to reach 1 inch depth.
Yogurt starter is a bit slower. Looks like it's begining to swell up.
MJ starter is bubbling, swollen, and maturing nicely. Boy, it sure makes a lot of starter, doesn't it? I'll have to move it into a larger container than the quart jar.
Kaylyn, would you be interested in a starter swap?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Huckelberrywine

Kaylyn, would you be interested in a starter swap?

Absolutely!! Er...as soon as I can actually get some starter *right* that is! ;-0 (that would be me laughing at myself!)

I grabbed some King Arthur's Whole Wheat (unbleached / unbromized) today. When I pick up the 1st grader today, I'm going to take a gander down to Trader Joe's to see if I can get my hands on any 100% Organic whole wheat...that would be most ideal.

So once I get some life into this, I would *absolutely* love to swap!

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  10:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, fantastic. Let me know how your second attempt works out. All three of the starters I began are now established. I'm looking forward to running a taste test of them using MJ's biscuit recipe. So far, the potato starter looks and smells most like what I'm used to expecting of an aged sourdough starter. But the other two look and smell alright too, I think they will just take time to age and flavor up. We'll find out what the taste buds have to say about it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  11:07:36 AM  Show Profile
Ronna: Is your starter posted somewhere? I have read all of the comments and would like to try it. I have never used a starter before and it seems like a good thing to try. Or am I being too forward when it is a family recipe or something secret? :) Did you send some to people or did they get your recipe. Hear my voice? It is sorta desperate on the inside! I love bread and especially great bread.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  08:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn.
It started with one farmgirl requesting starter and I've sent out a dozen or so to those who have requested. Send me your snail mail address privately and I'll send you some. I don't know how many are still around (not tossed by helpful husbands or because the owner thought it was spoiled), but those who are using it are happy with the flavor.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  3:53:41 PM  Show Profile
Well, Ronna, what do you think about letting them in on the recipe from Sunset for a starter like yours? One of my three starters uses that recipe. I doubt mine matches Ronna's for flavor, because hers is more established and as starters mature they generally develop a better taste as they age. That's one reason older ones are so prized.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  8:24:39 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
If you're willing to post the Sunset recipe, some may want to start one with that method. I do agree that for some things....starter, for sure, age is an asset :) I like to think the Basque Sheepherders that have been such a part of Nevada history, along with the cooks from the gold and silver mines have helped to flavor it with good yeast spores.
Enjoy,
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  07:30:50 AM  Show Profile
Sunset Magazine 1988 Sourdough starter:
For best results, use freshly purchased and opened milk and yogurt.
1 cup skim or low-fat milk
3 tablespoons unflavored yogurt
1 cup all-purpose flour (organic)

Heat milk to 90 to 100 degrees. Remove from heat, stir in yogurt. Pour into a warm 3 to 6 cup glass or ceramic container with a non-metal lid.

Cover and let rise in a warm place (80 to 90 degrees) until mixture is the consistency of yogurt, a curd has formed, and mixture doesn't flow readily when container is tilted. (It may also form smaller curds suspended in clear liquid.) Process takes 18 to 24 hours. If some clear liquid rises to the top during this time, stir it back in. But if liquid has turned light pink, discard the batch and start again.

Once curd has formed, stir in flour until smooth. Cover tightly and let stand in warm place (80 to 90 degrees) until mixture is full of bubbles and has a good sour smell (2 to 5 days). Again, if clear liquid forms during this time, stir it back in. If liquid is pink, start over. To store, cover and refrigerate.

To feed your starter, bring it to room temperature. Try to use or feed at least once a month for best results. Add warm skim or low-fat milk (90 to 100 degrees) and all purpose flour in quantities equal to what you'll be using in the recipe. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup starter, add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of flour 12 to 24 hours before taking out the cup of starter. Let it work in a warm place until bubbly, sour-smelling, and clear liquid has formed on top. Use, or cover and chill. Stir to use.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  07:50:14 AM  Show Profile
OMGoodness...

I feel *so* out of my league here trying to cultivate my first sourdough starter!!
~ Kaylyn

Edited by - Vintage Redhead on Mar 20 2007 07:50:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  3:38:14 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn,

It must sound worse than it really is. I whipped out three of them last week, so it can't be too hard. Try on top of your water heater, that is usually a consistently warm place. Stir, watch, wait. Bake, munch, smile.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Michelle,
Thanks for posting the recipe...it's been so long (or maybe my memory is too short), but I've been feeding it with warm water and flour for years and it's doing fine. I know I did start it with the yogurt and milk, but not organic flour.....back then, I don't know if there was even such a thing available as organic flour.
Kaylyn....don't let it intimidate you, it's not all that hard, really. And, once you have one going, or get one from me or another, it's not like having a new pet you have to take care of constantly. An established starter is very forgiving and does not need to be fed ''on schedule''.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  5:03:36 PM  Show Profile
Maybe the more established a starter is the more it is interested in trying new food? The potato starter gave me fabulous bread and cinnamon rolls (I posted a recipe). I'm still feeding up the heavenly starter Ronna was sweet to send...looking forward to doing something special with it for my first taste, maybe the chocolate cake... And MJ's biscuits went over very well with the whole family, especially with honey. The yogurt starter I made is still waiting to be sampled too. I better get to baking!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  2:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Do you have to feed the starter even if you are not going to use it? How long can you go without using/feeding it?

Also, when you feed it, do you have to let it stay in a warm place for 18-24 hours each time?

This is so interesting to me, but I have to know why and how to do things before I understand them.

Is a starter usually used instead of yeast in bread recipes and can I tell how much to use instead, or are there recipes just for starters?

Sorry for all the questions!!

XXOO Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  3:27:39 PM  Show Profile
Michelle:

I have a starter! I made MJ's Sourdough Biscuits last night. DH enjoyed them - and he and I both acknowledge that I have never before been able to get my biscuit-making skills correct. The starter isn't as "ripe" as I'd prefer, but hey...wild yeast can be a bit unpredictable that way. We enjoyed the biscuits with some goat cheese, so *that* was plenty ripe for everything!!

I'm going to keep feeding the *Yeastie Beastie* for one more week, now that I know I've got it right. Next Saturday, I'll pull 1 cup of starter and Priority Mail it to you. That is, if you'll kindly send me an email in the meantime with your address... Thanks for all of your help and encouragement getting this starter going!! ~ K

~ Kaylyn

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  4:10:42 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn: Congratulations! I'm so glad you are enjoying your very own starter. I knew you could do it. That's great!

Sheryl-lyn: Important questions. The length of time between feedings really depends on the starter and what temperature you keep it at. Warmer temperatures mean they go through the available food faster. Yeast can grow at refrigerator temperatures, but they do it more slowly. So, you could probably feed your starter "cold" and return it to the fridge and it will just slowly metabolize.

As to your recipe question, I posted a conversion recipe under Sourdough Recipes. Recipes exist to make starter, goods made with starter, or made with both starter and yeast. I think sourdough recipes that call for added yeast intend to help people have a consistent result "quickly" no matter how vigorous or lethargic their starters are.

Talking about vigorous starters...Ronna's Iditarod Restarter turned MaryJane's basic bread recipe, for one loaf, into two loaves for me! Wonderful bonus to share. Thank you Ronna! It's absolutely lovely starter.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Michelle! I did a Google search on sourdough starters today too. You make it seem very simple and easy to do. I am going to Vermont Saturday for a week and once I get home, I will make an attempt at the starter. Thank you for your help. We love bread around here!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  10:29:50 AM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, I've got to decide which of these starters to send to you. I may have to send you a "sample pack". I looked up an old thread, and I think sending "wet starter" may work better than trying to dehydrate it. I think just a small amount, like 1/4 cup or so would be enough to transport the yeast beasties. Double zip-locked should keep them from escaping. This will be fun!

Sheryl-lyn, have a great trip! Let me know when you get back how the "growing" goes. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sourdough starter swap Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page