julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile
Greetings from No Worries! After spending years and years in Kansas as professional students (my husband and I have MA, PhD, and MD degrees between us), we moved to Seattle to live a very exciting cosmopolitan life. We travelled all over the place, ate all kinds of exotic foods, hiked in all kinds of wilderness, worked, and played and yet, something was missing.. We were always leaving our home to 'get away' from it all. I finally suggested that we consider a place/a home that we would want to 'get to.' We also thought of having children but Seattle was not the environment for us to pursue that endeavor. We valued the idea of me staying at home with kids and although thousands of people raise children in the city brilliantly, it would have been a real challenge for us. As luck would have it, a tremendous opportunity afforded itselt in Spokane WA which is on the Eastern side of the state and a completely different climate. We went for it and found this amazing 10 acres of praire land that reminded us so much of our beloved Kansas and a glorious 90 year old farm house. We've been here for the last 6 years and plan to stay indefinitely. When we moved, I quit my career and became a gentle-woman farmer full-time. This transition was seamless. I didn't know this part of me was so profound and important. We have 2 amazing little children, 4 dogs, 5 cats, chickens out the wazooo, an orchard, a blueberry and strawberry patch, a huge kitchen garden and a variety of herb and perennial gardens. It is our little slice of heaven. We've been able to change our lifestyle dramatically and what seems so different to the rest of our extended family is second nature to us now. Things like, recycling virtually everything, no longer using plastic bags, eating only what we grow throughout the growing season, buying organic and locally raised foods, no pesticides or herbicides anywhere here, etc. etc.. One of the things that was most astonishing to discover was how traditional I am. and how much I love that side of me. I adore being a homemaker and doing traditional home-making things like canning, cooking, making soap, and paper and sewing. The latter of which I've really become passionate about. I sew virtually all of my own clothes and my daughter's clothes and will try to sell some in the near future. You'll have to like simplicity and a sort of amish country look to wear my garments. Its been so incredible. I also play hostess to an annual Goddess Festival we have here on the farm. That's another tale for another topic. Suffice it to say, I'm delighted to read about and hear from so many women of like minds. blessings to you all and thank you for welcoming me into the forum.

being simple to simply be

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Julia,
I grew up in Spokane and my husband in Rosalia not to far from Spokane. I love the area where you found your little piece of heaven. We are in Quilcene near Port Townsend now on our little piece of heaven. So glad you have found us.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Well, Julia (my daughter's name also) welcome! it seems as if you embody the complete philosphy of MJF and those of us who post here. We are all with you in our hearts. We may not all have the land, but we all have the longing for simplicity, and are working towards living with authenticity. I am so happy that you can share with us the transition your family made and I look forward to hearing more from you!

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 15 2005 11:14:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the group, Julia, you have the life I want (and will have someday) Looking forward to getting to know you!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Julia:
Let us know when you do your Goddess thing.
Nancy, who just found 10 acres on the OTHER side of Spokane
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  10:07:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy, thanks for responding.. It was a beautiful day today! Goddess Fest is something I host usually in September with 3 other very dear friends. I have not made it a public event although I've been toying with that idea for a little while. This is a time when my girlfriends and I get together and do all kinds of girlie things. They come to visit from both coasts so its a true vacation for them. I make it a point to have plenty of paint, glitter, stickers, tatoos etc. etc for them to play with. I suppose that's the theme.. to pause and really really play! Its ironic that these are the very same women, who, when I announced that I was moving from Seattle to Spokane were terribly disturbed.. Spokane?!! it was inconceivable. Needless to say, they visited once and have been back every single year! Goddess Fest is something that anyone can do anywhere with anyone.. It just takes some creativity and good friends.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  11:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Julia..you sound like you have such a sunny attitude..I am glad you are here!!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  03:21:06 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Julia! You will fit right in! Nice to hear about your life change and how you have embraced it! Jump in with both feet and keep us posted. Your sewing projects sound right up our alley. I'm a plain style dresser myself. Comfort is everything! Have you been making jam or jelly lately? I am up to my armpits in jam this week!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  04:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julia and Welcome from Kansas! KU or K-State or both? Had to ask...K-Stater here! Sounds like you do have a little of Kansas where you are at! Your farm sounds lovely. So glad you found this site and joining the great women who post here. I love the idea of your Goddess Festival! I am anxious to read more about your activites, and ideas! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  05:58:01 AM  Show Profile
hello julia, sounds like you made the right move, it is a wonderful life when your doing what you were put here to do, isn't it? yoy will love the site. look forward to knowing you. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  08:26:00 AM  Show Profile
hello Julia
Welcome, welcome. I love reading your story. It tells me that I can have what I want one day. I feel like my husband and I are never going to gradutae out of student life. Your story reminds me to be patient. Thanks and your farmlife sound perfect. Blessed Be.

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  08:45:04 AM  Show Profile
Very cool website, Melissa!!!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  09:04:54 AM  Show Profile
Clare,
Were still working on it and beginning others. I love to hear your feedback. thanks!

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  10:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jenny, we are Jayhawkers here. KU alum all the way. That said, 2 of my husband's siblings are K-state grads. There are times when I really miss Lawrence, Ks. What an oasis that place is. There is a candle shop there called The Waxman that when I go to Ks I make certain to stop in. I started buying my candles there 20 years ago and to this day only buy candles from him. Mail order now. I don't know what it is.. the scents of his candles are extraordinary..I've converted several of my friends into being Waxman groupies too.. If ever you have a chance, check it out.. downtown Lawrence on Massachusetts street.. SO worth the visit!! Enjoy your day, Julia

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  10:45:45 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I have visited Lawrence many times, for games and such. I do love Massachusetts street. My niece is a KU student, and I have a dear friend who lives there. I have not heard of The Waxman, but will certainly check it out when I am there again visiting. There used to be an awesome little gourmet/health food store close to campus I loved. Cannot remember the name, or if it still is in business. Lawrence is a lovely town, but my heart is still in Manhattan.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Julia:
I just have to ask if you've been to Buggy Barn Quilts in Reardon? I'm sure you would love it.

I've been to Lawrence . . . it really is a very nice town. Wish I'd known about The Waxman.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  10:54:09 PM  Show Profile
I have had quite the love affair with the buggy barn! What incredible fabric and amazing people as well. I took a beginner's quilting class there and have not yet caught the quilting bug. Well, not entirely true. I make quilted square lavender dryer sachets with scraps from other things I sew. Their farm is so beautiful and only about 20 minutes from my own! Ahhhh, the waxman candles..my favorite scents of his are sunflower, new mown hay, highlife, rainforest, and sweetgrass. Such an amazing place!

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:01:35 PM  Show Profile
I loved your question, bramble, about the jam or jelly! I've just made strawberry rhubbard jam, which is so darn good I can hardly contain myself this time of year! I make jelly in the fall when my crabapple trees are ripe. That jelly is superb and a total labor of love! I'm actually up to my armpits, and barely have my head above the weeds that have infested my veggie garden. Unreal!! I just bought a little Mantis rototiller today because I dreaded going out to the garden. The magnitude of weeding after being away for a few weeks was too daunting to deal with. This little tasmanian devil of a tiller is my newest, bestest, weeding fairy!! I love it. I was out there with my peas and beans today just digging things up and was actually enjoying the weeding process. This is a new garden (3 years old) so the soil doesn't have enough mulch to keep the weeds at bay, yet...slowly, slowly! gardening is a masterful teacher! enjoy your canning, julia

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  11:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, your website was stunning! Ah, yes, student life. My husband and I joke that with all his education he graduated from the 24th grade and I from the 19th grade! If there's one thing I've learned its that there are always beginnings and endings and if one chooses to coast too long in between, life becomes stagnant. There is an end to traditional student life only to begin an entirely new student life.. its a series of transitions and phases I suppose. I loved your Blessed Be ending.. Are you a fan of StarHawk among others? blessings to you! julia

Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  08:29:48 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I know a little about Starhawk but strangly I have read nothing by her. Many of my friends have read her stuff and I believe my Aunt also has read her books. Blessed be Sister!

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  10:59:42 AM  Show Profile
I just browsed around your site also, Melissa, fun!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic new and farm fresh Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page