jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  09:58:52 AM  Show Profile
I think the "secret" to getting along nicely here is to stop talking religion so much......... we all have our belief systems right or wrong. I also think we tend to jump on these television bandwagons a little bit too much sometimes. Oprah is probably a wonderful person, very smart, but not everything she puts out is the end all..... I think Grace described it all quite beautifully. I'm only going to watch "Nature" on PBS for awhile. The news is depressing, our politicians are corrupt, and there's a huge amount of schmutz on all the reality shows. I think everyone needs more fresh air, good cooking, kindness and sensibility. And that's all I'm going to say about that! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  4:59:31 PM  Show Profile
*LOL*@ Jo (and applauds) - thanks for that!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  7:42:22 PM  Show Profile
pbs & discovery. I saw the greatest show on pbs about the sawtooth wolf pack the other day, it was great. Had me glued for 2 hrs. & I dont sit & watch tv for 2 hrs.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  8:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Michele, did you see the one about the elephant that hadn't been around elephants for years and they reunited her with an old circus elephant, they entwined their trunks and were inseparable after that. It was the 25 year anniversary, lots of other segments about abused animals. Paul and I sat and cried together on that one, (crocodile tears)...... jo

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  05:07:14 AM  Show Profile
yes I did & cried like a baby. I cried over many of them. Animals are so amazing. pbs, discovery & animal planet are 3 of my favorite channels. Love animals so much.

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Regarding The Secret -- Yes, I am interested in it. Yes I believe in it, and apparently a whole lot of other folks do as well because I'm 28th for the DVD and 30th for the book, on the library's list to receive them. I receive a monthly inspirational publication, and the latest edition arrived today with a very informative review of the DVD. I'm going to share the review here, for the sole purpose of creating an environment of understanding, as we often fear what we do not know. Here is the review:

"For hundreds of years, metaphysicians have taught that the "law of attraction" is the key to creating our reality. Ernest Holmes lived and preached this philosophy, as did Neville Goddard, Joseph Murphy and countless other spiritual teachers. Now, this law of attraction is explained in a beautiful new film called The Secret , produced by Rhonda Byrne, the film features a diverse roster of panelists, including Michael Beckwith, Joe Vitale, Bob Proctor, Jack Canfield, Lisa Nichols, John Gray and John Demartini.

For most spiritual seekers, the message in The Secret won't reveal anything they don't already know. But the film is beautifully crafted and edited and provides a modern twist on the age-old wisdom which says "we bring into existence exactly what we think about."

Australian TV producer Rhonda Byrne created the idea for the film several years ago after experiencing personal challenges that nearly overwhelmed her. She turned to classic New Thought authors for guidance and comfort, including Charles Haanel, author of The Master Key System, and Genevieve Behrend, who wrote Your Invisible Power.

After reading more spiritual books, both classic and contemporary, Rhonda realized that a beautiful and similar thread of wisdom ran through all of them. That thread is the law of attraction and the message is... our thoughts and feelings create our reality and what we visualize will manifest in our lives.

The Secret showcases many dynamic teachers who agree with this powerful message. Bob Proctor provides fatherly wisdom as he says, "The law of attraction is always working, whether you believe it or understand it or not." Michael Beckwith stresses that there is enough wealth for everyone in the world, saying "You must become a match to your desires if you want them to manifest in your outer world." Jack Canfield describes the magical synchronicities that led him to become a millionaire, while Marie Diamond, a feng shui expert, echoes the belief that we are indeed the creators of our universe.

The film is fast-paced, upbeat and filled with warmth and positive vibrations. Success stores are repeatedly emphasized, intermingled with the vast array of New Thought teachers. Particulary touching is the story of "miracle man" Morris Goodman, who was totally disabled following an airplane crash over twenty years ago. Goodman used the power of his imagination to heal himself.

There are well-know quotes from famous achievers of the past, including Emerson, Socrates, Carnegie, Einstein, Alexander Graham Bell and Wallace Wattles, who wrote the prosperity classic, The Science of Getting Rich in 1910. Neale Donald Walsch makes a cameo appearance and Fred Alan Wolf joyfully explains quantum physics.

The beginning of the film is reminiscent of the suspense-thriller The Da Vinci Code and there is some criticism that it's a little over-dramatic. Even so, The Secret is an amazing body of work, revealing the "secret" that inventors, scientists, theologians and other great thinkers achievers have always known and tapped into. Also available is the book of the same title, which was recently on the Los Angeles Times best-seller's list.

At this time the film is only available on DVD. It can be purchased online or at book stores. The beauty of the message of The Secret lies in its basic truth. We do indeed create our reality through the intensity of our thought and our beliefs. This thought-provoking film provides a wonderful way to introduce the law of attraction to new audiences of spiritual seekers. It truly is a joy to watch and learn from.
--Patricia Nolan"

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Clare on Mar 10 2007 12:51:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  3:21:15 PM  Show Profile
Clare that was a wonderful summation! Your book list is wonderful on your blog, I read the Oregon Trail book. My mother used to drag me off for "digs" on the oregon trail. She knew where there were dump sites and spent hours digging for old bottles, etc. She was amazing, I wish I had some of her old collectibles, although I didn't really get the "collecting" gene. jo

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I just watched the DVD of The Secret. It's available on Netflix now. I found nothing at all offensive about it; in fact, it was a good affirmation for me to continue on this path. It's all about creating what we think about. The Law of Attraction. And for those who are religious, you will find several references to the Divine, Your Higher Power, God. The speakers include those from many backrounds: physicians, meta-physicians, consultants, authors, etc., many professionals who are respected in their fields.

There's a good synopsis here, for those who are interested.
http://sheknows.com/about/look/7877.htm
or you can view the official website here: http://www.thesecret.tv

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  9:01:08 PM  Show Profile
I havent seen it yet but I plan to.