Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile
This is having to do with insurance and may be a strange question but I'll ask it anyway...lol

When you're looking for a new doctor is it important that they are affiliated with a hospital that is covered under your insurance as well?

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  08:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Probably but most often if the hospital isn't affiliated the doctor wont be either. If you ever have to be in the hospital and you want to receive care from your PCP (and have insurance cover it) you will want them to be in your hospital curcuit.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  08:42:43 AM  Show Profile
That make sense, thank you very much for that information. You'd think at 28 years old I'd be a little more knowledgable about this stuff...lol

www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile
I usually go to my insurance company's website and cross check that the new doctor and the hospital he is affiliated with are part of my network. I am really lucky because almost every doctor and hospital are part of my network around here.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  2:57:21 PM  Show Profile
I do the same (check the ins. carrier webpage) because it's usually very user friendly, and you can get tons of information that way. What I wish, is that insurance carriers had a sort of a consumer "review" section (like for restaurants)for insured's looking for new physicians. Just reading their names and seeing that they are within a 15 miles radius of me is fine, but I'd like to know what people think of them and their staff--I've made SO many mistakes just going by location or name. Also, a few times, I've run across a situation where the group that my doctor practices with takes the coverage, but she doesn't???? Very weird.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Jonni there is a website www.ratemds.com that you can go to and see what people have written about a doctor. I'd just keep in mind that people generally will write a poor review before they'll sit and write a good one. Might be worth checking out though.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  5:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I never considered the possibility that my insurance might not work at all hospitals in my area...yet another potential catastrophe.

As it turns out, my doctor is affiliated with the one hospital I do NOT want to ever be a patient at. They played a big part in my father-in-law's death, and they very nearly caused my father's death as well. I don't want to change doctors because I have a very good relationship with her, but man! I hope I don't need any operations any time soon.

My insurance network's listing of doctors, by the way, does not include the hospital affialiation of each one. So it's not something I could search for. I would just have to ask them all.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  07:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Oy, insurance is such a pain...does anyone have really good luck with their insurance coverage? lol

Thanks for the link to that site Diane!

www.leezard.etsy.com

Edited by - Leezard on Mar 05 2007 07:45:19 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Choosing a Doctor Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page