Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 do you think shots hurt?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic do you think shots hurt? Next Topic  

Annie Mae
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

a
houston texas
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  7:28:29 PM  Show Profile
helloo yall!!!

I got my 10 year tetanus booster and meningitis shots today, and it didn't hurt at all when the nurses put the needles in my arm. It felt like a mosquito bite, nothing more. I had not had a shot for over 7 years and was deathly afraid of needles up until about five hours ago. My 4 year old niece doesn't flinch when she gets her shots (unlike me as a toddler), but mine also seem to have gotten much less painful. Have they updated the equipment to make shots hurt less? My arms haven't started hurting yet (I know they will soon though), but I'm fine now. I was wondering if this is strange considering how many people make a big deal about getting shots. So anyway, do you think it hurts to get immunized or have blood drawn? Which shots do you think hurt the most? I am getting more soon and was wondering what ones make you cringe and which you can't feel more than a pinch .
Thanks- Annie Mae T

If you ain't got a pretty face, you're not alone. bet ya got you a pretty heart and that's twice as beautiful. - Kate Sanderson

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  7:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Annie Mae, We haven't really ever discussed this, except we did have a topic on getting tetanus boosters. I will have to say the tetanus can be pretty painful for several days. Not the actual shot, but the site can be tender and sore. I have had blood drawn and have donated blood. It seems to depend on the skill of who is taking the blood. A few times I could have been peeled off the ceiling, and actually fainted once as a child. It usually isn't too bad. My DH cannot handle any needles. He is a big guy 6'3" and has to lay down to have any injections or a blood test. A real chicken!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  05:22:00 AM  Show Profile
Take it from a person who is afraid of needles - shots are not as painful as they once were. I also got a tetanus shot a couple of weeks ago, and I never look when I get shots. This time I did not feel it AT ALL! Same with the flu shot I got the winter before last. It left me wondering, also, if needles are different now. The person giving the shot also has a lot to do with it, but I swear they are not like they were when I was a child. Of course, my arm is fatter with less muscle!!!! That must be it!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  07:04:48 AM  Show Profile
My tetanus booster didn't hurt either until about a day later when I developed a large lump in my arm that took two weeks to go away. I'm not sure, but I think that is fairly common. The other boosters were no worse than a sewing needle prick and no other side effects other than a fever for a few days.
Blood work is another story entirely...it definitely depends on who is doing it and the proficiency of their skill. I have been stuck and not known it and I have been stuck and restuck to the point of having veins blown.I think needles have improved just not all the people administering them!
Welcome to MJF, nice to have you joining in, Annie Mae!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Shots have never hurt me, I didn't even know that I was getting shots (novacaine) at the dentist until I was almost an adult. I would say that A LOT has to do with the skill of the shot giver. But, pain tolerance has a lot to do with it too. I have given blood, platletts(?), and plasma which can hurt a little and think that the ability to do that has a lot to do with the "sturdyness" of your veins, or how difficult they are to find. My daughter has a horrible time with shots and IVs and such.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile
shots don't hurt me much either and none of my younger kids seem to complain much..BUT>>>second son, who is now 25 will pass out if he even sees a needle....which looks pretty silly since he is 6'4". I hope he gets over that at some point. We had to put off our 9 year old's adoption 2 weeks (5 years ago) while I persuaded him that he HAD to get a tb test..which was required for everyone in the home over 18 as part of the adoption red tape. He honestly thought about moving out rather than get the tb test with that tiny little needle just under the skin..oh brother. finally, with his girlfriend and I along he was able to make it though.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  2:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, Your second son sounds like my DH. These big tough guys cannot handle the sight of a tiny needle!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  2:25:02 PM  Show Profile
I have to get 4 allergy shots every week and now they don't hurt at all but I used to be a big baby.I do agree though it depends on who gives the shots.

Follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2005 :  8:28:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't find shots bad at all. I had a tetanus booster a couple of years ago - no reaction, little pain. I haven't had a flu shot for a couple of years due to the shortages, but the last time I did, my arm was very red, puffed up and sore for a few days. I occasionally have been getting shots in my neck (you read that correctly) for slipped disks, and those do take some getting used to. It does depend on who gives the shot - depending on what it is for, and how large a needle is used, you had better have someone who knows where to put the needle!

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile
Getting shots used to freak me out as a child, but since having babies (and getting blood drawn constantly during prenatal tests....) I don't fear them anymore...my left arm has a great vein that I offer to them for blood work now...LOL..."here ya go!"

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  5:23:40 PM  Show Profile
I'm afraid of needles and when I had my tetnus shot last summer, prior to my stitches, it didn't hurt NEARLY as bad as my last one in the mid 70's. My arm ached for a few days after that one. I always get ligth headed after a shot and feellike I'm going to throw up

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Jun 22 2005 5:24:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shellie
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Shellie
Orange Springs Florida
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  4:47:30 PM  Show Profile
I get a Toradal shot & to cortizone shots in my lower back each week, It is very painful (the medicine when it goes in)
The nurses always comment at how I handle them. I Basically try to think of things to do in my garden or what new soap recipe Im going to make.
I think it also depends on the administer of the shot too
Shellie

If I knew "Mother Nature", needed an "Apprentice", I will fill out an application.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2005 :  05:42:19 AM  Show Profile
I was terrified of needles when I was a kid. I think it was because Mom took us to a clinic where they lined us all up like cattle and we could all see other kids getting shots.

I think it depends on the skill of the giver, how tense you are, AND the size of the needle. Allergy shot needles are the smallest so they are almost a non-event. Antibiotics, on the other had require a large needle because the serum is refridgerated and gel-like. OUCH. Also, Novacaine is an acid and they don't buffer it so that's why the shot is worst than the stitches!

I am really bad when it comes to having my blood drawn. My veins look wide but are actually quite flat so I always get ignored when I tell the tech they need to use their smallest needle with a "butterfly." Then, after three or four sticks they say something brilliant like, "Hey, I guess you weren't kidding about these veins." Fortunately for them, I am ususally fainting by then and can't get my hands around their neck
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic do you think shots hurt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page