Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Eradicate poison ivy and Rose of Sharon
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Eradicate poison ivy and Rose of Sharon Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  09:05:42 AM  Show Profile
I know that poison ivy is an easily hated member of the vegetation family, but I have mutant Rose of Sharon's (thanks neighbors!) that are the equivalent to a volunteer army around my house--seemingly everywhere I'd like to plant something. I didn't think they did that....I sure don't remember the ones we had at home doing this, mom doesn't either.

In surveying the place where I wanted to build my raised beds, I noted that there were a great deal of wintering Rose of Sharon, 10-20 inches high, but about 30-40 of them, as well as poison ivy. I pulled and pulled all summer last year, and this year, I'm wondering if there's a way to simply eradicate them. I hate them. I used to not, I used to think they were pretty, but now they've gone too far .

I'd like to do something that gets the root of these buggers, and still allows me to build and plant in my raised bed system. Anything natural work for anyone? I've read vinegar and bleach for poison Ivy, but what about Rose of Sharon?

Any help is appreciated...I'm commited to this raised bed garden this year if it kills me (or those Rose of Sharon!!!!)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile
We had an ROS and we hooked it to our truck with a chain and pulled it out. The roots had staerted to crack our foundation.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  10:07:58 AM  Show Profile
Julie that's funny because my Mom did the same thing when they started taking over. I haven't had to move any recently, but I know they are TOUGH! Sorry Jonni, no easy answer to this one I think. Cutting them down continuously won't help the root situation, even if you have cleared "above ground". There are some powerful herbicides on the market but you sure don't want that next to what you are eating! Bleach is not so hot around edible crops either...sorry. I think it's muscle power for this job!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  11:28:29 AM  Show Profile
We had a horrific poison ivy problem when we bought our house 4 years ago. My husband, dressed with complete safety gear on, went out and removed all the vines he could. Next he dug up all the roots he could fine. We've kept at it and now I'm happy to say it's 95% gone! I'm sure their may be a a stubborn shoot wanting to come up this year, but we'll find it. Never burn poison ivy or use it for compost. Bag and dispose of it. Technue is a great lotion to have on hand to coat yourself with before you shower after working in the yard. Also, wash your clothes immediately too. Read on the web everything you can to protect yourself from the poison ivy. Rose of Sharon has always been a friend of mine, I didn't know it it could shoot off like that. Good luck with the clean up.
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  11:55:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm not real familiar with the ROS, but I got rid of perennial morning glory and stinging nettle by dousing the roots with boiling water.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  4:43:50 PM  Show Profile
My husband planted 20 Rose of Sharon trees around our garage, and each fall when they are done flowering and the seed pods start to form, he goes out and picks all the seed pods. At least that keeps them from making more....

As far as getting rid of the ones you have, I think that pulling them out root and all is the answer. Because we had one that another tree fell on, destroying all but six inches of trunk, and two years later it is just as big as its brothers and sisters.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Great job on the poison ivy!!! Poison Ivy hates to be disturbed, so by pulling, cutting and stirring things up near any roots left behind it will eventually give up. ROS is a pain to be sure, it easily sprouts from those dropped seedpods, and spreads by its roots. Pulling it out is the best way to eradicate it. If you have an older plant(s) make sure to strip the leaves as it grows in the spring & summer to deny it nourishment...after a year or two it will be weakend and maybe you can yank it out. Another invasive alien is ranunculus ficaria...a cute little ephemeral buttercup which blankets wet areas and now forests to the point of retarding our natives. I have had some success spraying this with straight cider vinegar. But it's hard to tell the success rate because the plant dies back in about 6 weeks.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Eradicate poison ivy and Rose of Sharon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page