Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from New Mexico! Next Topic  

Alpaca Rose
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Sharon
House New Mexico
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  2:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Howdy to all you Farm Girls! My husband and I raise alpacas on 160 acres in eastern New Mexico. We both work "in town" during the week. That is a 60 mile drive east. I am a diabetes educator and a consulting dietitian....that's what helps pay for my hobbies! I love gardening and cooking. I especially love growing orchids and African violets. Birdwatching, scrapbooking, rubberstamping and reading are also "love-to-do"s. Working with our alpaca fiber is a favorite winter activity. My husband and I both card the fiber, spin it on the spinning wheel and I knit or crochet with it. We live in an old farm house that we bought just a year ago, so I'm learning to paint, hammer, and "make do".

I grew up in a small town with only 7000 people, but that's like a city compared to our closest community (6 miles) with 59 people. I love living here with no one driving past and a full mile to our closest neighbor. It's 30 miles to the closest convenience store and hamburger or restaurant. Impulse eating out is unheard of.

Gotta "git", the clothes are dry on the line and we're going dancing at Old Fort Days in Fort Sumner tonight. Trust me, this is a big deal once a year! That little town (30 miles away) is where Billy The Kid is buried. This is the community big fling for the year. Two years ago we had a float and showed off our new baby alpacas. Didn't get around to it this year...maybe next. Isn't that the way it goes "on the farm"? Have a beautiful day, Alpaca Rose

Having a beautiful day with my alpacas!

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  6:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Hello Alpaca Rose and welcome. 160 acres, I cant even imagine! Sounds like you have a wonderful and full life. Im a hand spinner also, I weave and hook rugs,I dye my wool w/ natural products. It is the most wonderful hooby. I'd like to turn it into s/thing else eventually. I live in N.J. and have no acres yet. We are looking to move to Vermont. I'll be happy w/ a few acres, sheep and chickens and my herb farm. Nice to have you w/ us. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  8:30:07 PM  Show Profile
yay..another spinner!! I love to spin and knit and sounds like you have it made with the alpacas..that is great!! I have relatives in NM....wonderful place! Welome!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

countrykat
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

kathy
paola kansas
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  10:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sharon, welcome. Questions questions questions. I am very interested in Alpacas. How did you start your herd? I've only heard of the major investment and since I am no longer working outside the home I don't think I can swing the price tag to get started. Is there another way into this "hobby"?

Looking forward to your stories.

Kathy in Kansas

Edited by - countrykat on Jun 11 2005 10:51:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  5:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome Sharon! So glad you are joining us! You will love it here. Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from New Mexico! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page