Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Excited to meet all the Farm Girls.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Excited to meet all the Farm Girls. Next Topic  

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1823 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile
I grew up on a farm in eastern Iowa close to Iowa City. My parents farmed for 50 plus years and my grandparents before that farmed 60 years and my great grandparents farmed about the same so it is in my blood. I love the free feeling of being in the country, the fresh air, the smell of grass when its mowed and hay when it is cut down.
My childhood memories all revolve around the farm. Running, playing doing chores like gardening and helping mom and dad. I now live in a suburb of Cedar Rapids and want to move out to the farm again someday and buy the farmstead. I remember helping mom prepare meals for the men during haying and harvesting. Pulling weeds in the garden and harvesting vegetables and fruit and preserving them.
I am a mom to one son in the Air Force and three step daughters. They are all married with families. The girls live in this area and my son and family live in Brandon, Florida. I love to refund, read,
walk and bike, camp and garden.

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marlene,

Welcome to the group!!!

Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  2:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome Marlene! Glad you are here! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  3:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Marlene!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  3:29:04 PM  Show Profile
Marlene - what is refund? My grandparents owned a dairy farm outside of Forest City (they were the 2nd generation). I spent my summers there and my dream is to go back. There is no farmland like Iowa farmland. I know many would argue that. I grew up in Illinois, but still love the farmland in Iowa. Our family had friends in Rapid City.

Glad you are here, and I look forward to hearing about Iowa. My heart is there! Even though I am much closer to Brandon, Florida!
Oh, and I remember my grandma feeding the farmhands during haying. We are of Norwegian blood, but I think the reason they were fed first was not cultural but because the men were so hungry, it was important to get them fed!
jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jun 02 2005 3:31:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1823 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  06:11:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Blue Sky, A refund is an offer that companies send money to you for using their products. There are refund forms you fill out and send with the upc on the products and receive maybe a free product or cash back. It is more a hobby that goes with using cents off coupons.
Where do you live in Florida? We were there at christmas last year and camped near brandon for two weeks. We enjoyed looking around the area and visited with my son and family. It is diffent than Iowa but I was interested to see the fruit farms like strawberry farms. We stopped to get some fresh strawberries and talked to the owner who was concerned about the temps getting too low for the plants. Marlene
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1823 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  06:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark, Kim and Molly Mae, Thanks for the welcome.
I am looking forward to getting to know everyone.
We camp up in northern Iowa near West Union and love to go shopping in Prairie Du Chien, Wisconsin. My husband likes to go to Cabela's and I enjoy the local dime store and consignment stores. Last weekend we went to a flea market and craft sale in mc gregor, Iowa. I also love garage sales and some antique sales.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  06:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Marlene - I never knew refunding was a hobby! Sounds like a profitable one to me.

I have been to the Cabela's between Janesville, Wisconsin and Rockford, Illinois. Love that store, and my niece works there.

I live in north Florida, only 30 minutes from the Georgia line, so I am really in the Deep South, rather than in palm tree Florida. There are many Floridas, actually! Brandon is near Tampa, quite a bit farther south than me.

Five years ago, all my Iowa cousins had a family reunion, and we met in Iowa City. I know just what you mean when you talk about the breeze, and the smell of grass.

jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  08:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Marlene, I have Iowa roots too! And although I am a dyed in the wool Kansan, Iowa is my second favorite state! My Dad was born in Algona, as were my grandmother and grandfather. My Grandmother Mamie was born on a big dairy farm. Her father immigrated here from England. So, I have lots of ties to those Iowa cornfields! By the way, what is a Cabelas store? Have not heard of that.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1823 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2005 :  2:28:55 PM  Show Profile
hi ladies, I think algona is up by des moines isn't it. If it is I have been through there as my son lived in omaha for awhile and we made trips out there.
We drove through northern Florida and thought it nice. We did not like the crowded area with the traffic jams etc but had no choice. I loved the climate down there. we came back in january to an ice and snow storm so welcome to winter after having some great days in florida in the 80's. That is the part of Iowa I could do without is the terrible cold and snow and ice in the winter. I am not a winter fan. Have a good weekend everyone! I will be attending a reunion in Mason City, Iowa and playing with grandkids 8 and 4 as their mom works.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  11:01:02 AM  Show Profile
Hello Marlene and welcome! Your in the right place. Even some of us who arent on our farms yet, bring the farm to our homes best we can. Enjoy the site. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:22:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I know just what you mean when you talk about the breeze, and the smell of grass.

Ahhh...one of my favorite smells!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

aniala
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

alaina
Gill MA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MBURNS

I grew up on a farm in eastern Iowa close to Iowa City. My parents farmed for 50 plus years and my grandparents before that farmed 60 years and my great grandparents farmed about the same so it is in my blood. I love the free feeling of being in the country, the fresh air, the smell of grass when its mowed and hay when it is cut down.
My childhood memories all revolve around the farm. Running, playing doing chores like gardening and helping mom and dad. I now live in a suburb of Cedar Rapids and want to move out to the farm again someday and buy the farmstead. I remember helping mom prepare meals for the men during haying and harvesting. Pulling weeds in the garden and harvesting vegetables and fruit and preserving them.
I am a mom to one son in the Air Force and three step daughters. They are all married with families. The girls live in this area and my son and family live in Brandon, Florida. I love to refund, read,
walk and bike, camp and garden.

Go to Top of Page

aniala
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

alaina
Gill MA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:48:58 PM  Show Profile
Hello all.
i did not grow up on a farm, but in Los Angeles, CA, of all places. But in my mind, i was always on a farm, or in a jungle. i climbed trees a lot, and pretended i was a horse, and lived in my imagination. When i was old enough, i left LA for SanFrancisco, and then headed east to find a easier way of life.
anyway, i live in rural western Massachusettes, where ive lived for thirty five years or so. At night i can hear the bull frogs courting away, and the ocassional cow calling to her calf. in the wee hours, i always hear the coyotes yipping and soon after their frenzied calling, i hear the train way off in the distance.
I am a knitter, a crocheter, an ocassional quilter, and in the past have done many forms of art including painting, printmaking and greeting card design.
i have three kids (the youngest of which is 20), of which two live at home, though pritty soon another is moving out.
Its time for me to find myself again, now that the kids are on their way out.
anyway, that is a short bit about me
aniala
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2005 :  1:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Alaina! I got a wonderful visual of your home that you described! So glad you have joined this forum! Jenny

Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1823 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1823 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  2:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Meadowlark, A cabela's store is for the sportman. It has hunting
and fishing equipment and clothing for the outdoors men and women and children. My husband is a deer hunter and turkey hunter so goes there often to look. He hunts in northern Iowa in the fall and we always have deer meat in the freezer.
It is similar to a Bass Pro store.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2005 :  6:35:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marlene..and welcome. In my family CAbelas is like...hmmmm....the best store in the world. My dad would go three states out of the way to go to Cablelas and my brother has been known to plan a whole vacation around Cabelas. If I were to accidentally toss the catalog we get....I would be in a whole lotta trouble..haha
Glad you are here!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2005 :  05:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Marlene - Mason City! That is very near my family's farm. It is between Fertile, Forest City and Mason City. How was your time there? Hope you had fun!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Excited to meet all the Farm Girls. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page