Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Anyone make their own baby wipes?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Anyone make their own baby wipes? Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  09:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I have just read about this lately and wondered if anyone else does this. I have read about using terry/flannel washcloths and using strong paper towels to make your own wipes. Just wondered if anyone else did this and what their advice, etc. would be. Also, what do you use as a recipe for the liquid you use. I am leaning more towards the washcloth type as they are more eco-friendly.

Thanks!

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:58:48 AM  Show Profile
We use flannel squares for baby wipes and the only liquid that goes on Jackson's bottom is water. We keep them in a basket on the hall table so we can grab one on our way to his room and stop off at the bathroom to get it wet first. They go right in the wash with his cloth dipes. We bought ours online with the diapers in one big package, but you can certainly make them.

When we're out, I'll sometimes use a paper towel and water in a restroom, but only if it's a softer kind. Sometimes, like a low-pee diaper, I won't wipe at all. Not always necessary. I do keep a package of Seventh Generation wipes handy for those times when water isn't available, like hiking and such.

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile
When my kids were little, there were no baby wipes. If we smelled a stinky diaper, we grabbed a warm wet washcloth on our way to the changing table. We washed their little hineys and put on a little something to keep them from chapping, and pinned on another cloth diaper.

There were paper diapers when my kids were little, but they just seemed wasteful. I was lucky; I had a service for the first six months, and then washed in the washer and dryer after that. Paper diapers were so bulky in those days, and they leaked like crazy. I could never see why anyone would want to use them. The garbage would pile up lightning fast! I used to tell myself that I was saving trees that my baby would be able to grow up and see. But now that they're adults, I realize I've never looked at a tree and thought Yep, that's the one I saved by using cloth.

Maybe it's the landfill I saved.

I think it's kind of funny that recyclable baby wipes are being re-invented.
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:27:43 AM  Show Profile
I use cloth wipes. I use cloth diapers, and it doesn't make sense not to use cloth wipes too. I have a squirt bottle filled with water that I use on her bottom. I have found though, that the cheap terry I have for wipes is rather rough on her bum, so for the next one, I'm probably going to cut up some flannel. Poor oldest is always the test run! :) I would think that some witch hazel, and aloe gel would be nice and soothing on baby bums. But that's just off the top of my head. Actually, that sounds really good! I have both ingredients, I might try it! :)
Go to Top of Page

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  7:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I have made my own wipes with water and aloe. I've seen the ideas of using 1/2 a roll of paper towel and baby wash/water solution, but I figure that's no different than just using the disposable wipes.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  8:45:55 PM  Show Profile
we use cloth wipes with most of the time just water. If Zoe is a little broken out i will use a solution of tea tree oil and water. Wee phased out paper toweling months upon months ago. I think the only throw away paper product here anymore is plain old tp and event hat is recycled paper.

Anyway, the cloth wipes are both flannel and terry. if she is extra sore, I use the flannel over the terry becuase the terry irritates a bit.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  9:53:10 PM  Show Profile
We use cloth wipes, flannel is good, I also have a lot that are microfiber. I happened to get a bunch of micro fiber car cleaning cloths from the recycle center once that had never been used. The guy there told me that they were dropped off by the sales rep from the company they were made by because he was moving. I picked them up and they became very good wipes. I cut them down to size and I did not have to sew the edges like flannel because the microfibre does not ravel. They hold up really well and warm water is great with them. Sometimes for extra dirty jobs i use a little bit of oatmeal soap. we wash the wipes withthe diapers and keep a basket of them around. They have held up through a lot of kids, we like them.
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  11:07:08 AM  Show Profile
I did for years and it was great. In the tightwad gazette she had a great recipe. I think it was something like a couple tablespoons of baby bath, a tiny bit of baby lotion and water. Then you cut a paper towel roll in two (so it is the size of a roll of toilet paper) and pull out the cardboard roll. Then you pull them from the inside of the circle. Either use an old wet wipes container or find a nice round rubbermaid type container. The knife gets dull, but I just figured the tons of money I saved doing this more than made up for that and I just dubbed one knife the "wet wipes knife". I will try to find my tightwad gazette and get the true recipe. The hardest is cutting the roll . . . I often got DH to do that.

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

farmingdoll
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Ann
sonoma valley ca
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  8:21:51 PM  Show Profile
I never even thought of this , great idea, I will use this on my granddaughter next time she visits! I'm sure my daughter will love the idea too! thanks
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  10:08:51 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,
I did the same. I used cloth diapers and older faceclothes and warm water to wipe them off. I didn't know any better. I was in a new town and didn't have any women friends yet, so I just did what my mom told me to do. I agree about paper diapers - when they first came out, they were awful - especially for nursing moms.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am sewing some baby diapers for my baby on the way so the scraps of flannel that aren't used are being turned into baby wipes. I will probably just have them soaking in water, but i'm going to keep a squirt bottle with a mild baby wash solution in it near by for when you get those really nasty diapers. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Anyone make their own baby wipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page