Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Double Stroller Advice Wanted
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Double Stroller Advice Wanted Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Do any of you have a double stroller, and if so what brand do you have and what do you like/dislike about it. What should I look for as I prepare to purchase one of these? We are preparing for #2, I want to have everything I'll need purchased before I even get pregnant for him/her. I think I would prefer to have one that you can sit the infant car seat onto for the new little one...so much more comfy and easy with a newborn.

Thanks for any and all info you can share!

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
I have a running-type double stroller. As for the infant car seat fitting, you'll have to shop around..
I usually carried my newborns in a sling, their little heads always seem to jiggle in the carriers, and I liked having a tiny babe sheilded from germs etc.. Sometimes I would push my toddler in the stroller (a small umbrella type) while I wore the tiny baby. It worked well for me.

K

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  08:41:58 AM  Show Profile
How old is your oldest? Because we have a Sit N Stand that I love. When Wyatt was a baby he was in a carrier in the front and my older two could sit or stand on the back and they were 3 at the time. They are now almost 2 and almost 5 and we still use it. I had a Graco Duo Glide when the twins were little. Loved it because you had room for two carseats to fit in it. But there werent as many options for double strollers as there are now. Most doubles that I have seen are pretty heavy to be honest. So we after they were out of the carrier stage we used a double umbrella stroller and I loved it. They also have connectors for two single umbrella strollers that connects the two together so that you can have two singles or one double...that is a nice option as well. We also have a double jogging stroller that we used when the twins were smaller for running and trail hikng, etc. It was nice but it was so wide it was hard to manuver in stores. Can you tell Ive had to do a lot of research into this??? Hope you find something that works for you.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  08:51:32 AM  Show Profile
We have a double stroller that we have used exactly once. the girls do not like it as they have always been worn. So now it sits in the garage collecting dust. I suppose we may use it when they are both a bit older, but for now, they hate it so we dont use it. The one time we used it, they wanted out so fast! It just so detatched from us for them. Honestly, I would rather wear the babes anyhow.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
Birth is safe, interferrance is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi there,

We were terribly extravagant with a gift from DH's Grandpa and bought a Phil & Ted E3 with a second seat. It will hold a baby/toddler, toddler/toddler, just a baby, or just toddler. It's a jogger, which is a real blessing after all the effort pushing the Graco around, and it is the same width as a single jogger, since the baby goes underneath. It doesn't hold a carseat, but my kids always outgrow that snap & go carseat at 3 months or so anyway (it's only good to 26 inches long).

However, it was ridiculously expensive, even purchased on ebay which saved us about 20%. There is no way we would have done it without Grandpa's help.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  10:31:49 AM  Show Profile
Robin, I have seen those! They are really cool, but like you said, pricey!

All of the double strollers I have seen/used ARE pretty heavy, and bulky...if you have a small car, the stroller might take all the trunk space. The stroller that came with the infant carseat/4-in-1 deal was so heavy and hard to haul around, I hardly used it. I have an umbrella type stroller that has alot higher handles and a basket, it was kindof pricey, around $80, but it was a gift from my Mom, I do like it, it works alot better than the little cheapo umbrella strollers...which with a tall husband 6'5" is almost essential...

K

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, those Phil and Ted strollers are cool! But like you said, a little expensive for as long as you use them in my humble opinion.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Whatever you buy, make sure it's not stored in the baby's room near a 1 lb container of diaper ointment as it will be completely smeared with it and then rendered useless. Ask me how I know.......

Seriously, I'm too cheap to buy one now for my youngest two. I had two different kinds for my older two. One was a side by side and one was the tandem kind. The side by side was good for the zoo, park etc. The tandem was nice for the mall and shopping, city streets. I would not buy one now, I would beg borrow or steal multiple kinds as long as you possibly can and try them out so that you can make your decision based on what folds up well for the car trunk or minivan, whatever you drive, what works best for shopping in tight spaces, what works well for rugged terrain, etc. Your baby isn't going to be in that infant carseat long enough for you to invest extra $$$ for that kind. And you can always check out the consignment stores and sales in your area. A cheap used one would be great no matter what kind it is.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Knittymama
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Knittymama
Minneapolis MN
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  4:46:27 PM  Show Profile
We got a sit and stand, but to be honest never use it unless we're on long walks. I've found it's actually much easier to use the sling and let my 3 year old walk. So I guess I'd think about how much walking your older child can do and what you plan on using the stroller for. Good luck!

http://knittymama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Having had my twin daughters 25 years ago, we were given a double side by side stroller and I must tell you, I don't remember the brand or nothing else about it except that I could NOT get thru aisles with it. It was so heavy and I barely weighed 90 pounds at the time and I simply hated it. Someone from our church got us a stroller where one baby was in a seat in front of the other one and what a blessing that was! We kept getting in everyones way with the side by side. I'm sure they are much different now, but just thought I'd tell you about my experience with my girls all those years ago! Susan
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  10:40:52 PM  Show Profile
I haven't read any one elses posts but if I had to do it over I would shell out the big bucks for a European model! One that swivels easily( as in four way wheels not just one or two like most American models), is light, sturdy, and where the kids sit one behind the other or facing each other. Peg Pegrino makes awesome ones! Seriously --- you will not regret it and unless you totally trash it you can resell it later! I wish I would have done so with number one instead of number 4! The European ones are simply better made for walking and using in stores, etc and so much lighter most of the time -- plus they usually have higher more ergonomic handles which is the other feature to be sure to look for -- no more hunchback! (check your higher end thrift shops as well).

If you don't want to do that and there is a wider gap between kiddos than I would consider a "kickboard" where you attach a board across the back of a single stroller for older one to stand on.

blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Feb 11 2007 10:42:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  12:01:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice, I walk two miles everyday with a neighbor...so a nice stroller that works for us is definitely going to be worth it, no matter the cost!
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  4:01:21 PM  Show Profile
oh and look for one you can fold with one hand too! Although if it has all the other features that's more negotiable. We had a four wheel jogger in Germany that I liked but it didn't turn well.

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Feb 12 2007 4:04:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  4:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I had one. For the most part, like Tasha, mine sat around in a corner or in the basement. About the only time I ever used it was to go on evening walks around town when I didn't have anyone to watch the kids. Otherwise it was too big and bulky to cart around everywhere. If i went grocery shopping there was never enough room for the stroller, the kids and the groceries...and i have a mini van. I would much rather have had a sling or something to wear them with. I ended up just carrying them for the most part. Mine are all about 3 yrs apart so it worked out ok. They have wonderful carries out now and many patterns if you sew.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  05:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have used and worn out two NEW double strollers (having 4 kids in 4.5 years kinda demands a good transportation system). The first one I had I loved. I cannot remember the brand name, but the front seat could be turned around backward so that the children faced each other and did not experience that disconnect that Tasha mentioned (this is the only way my kids ever rode). I wore that stroller out because I used it constantly. We lived in town at the time and were dirt broke, our intertainment for the afternoon was an 4-8 mile walk in the park. Finaly I wore the wheels down to the hub. My second double was a Graco and it wore out because it just wasn't a very good stroller. It did not turn well, the seat pads did not hold thier shape, the wheels were a nasty foam stuff and got stuck with pebbles the first time I took it off the pavement, the basket tore off the bottom... At one point somebody gave me a jogging stroller and I found that it was much easier to set two toddlers side-by-side in it (I wore the baby) than it was to mess with the inferior double stoller. I even took that jogging stroller on hike in camping trips to cart a toddler and some tied on gear (again wearing the baby).

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  08:09:56 AM  Show Profile
just so you know, you can buy joggers that are doubles now and/or four wheel joggers that are made specifically for rougher walking. We had a four wheel one the last time we were in Germany and it took curbs like a dream - just didn't turn real well. But I got mine at a thrift shop and not new. Hubby even loved it because of the higher handle.

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:22:54 PM  Show Profile
I finally gave up on strollers and we turned our garden cart into somewhat of a surry. It has big wheels so it works well on all terrain. It is big so lots of kids can fit in it no matter how old they are. Little babies ccan nap in it easily if you are out and about while there is still room for everything else and a basket attached to the back with zip ties holds everything you might need. we even installed a drink carrier and made our own license plate. It is a little tricky to transport, but it fits alright in the back of a 15 passenger van with the very back row removed...this might be a little big for you, but if you are gonna have a lot of littlies it is awesome.
Go to Top of Page

birdie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Amy
Hilliard OH
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile
The Schwin double jogger is wonderful! The front wheel can either lock or turn (and it turns on a dime!). It has bicycle tires for wheels so the ride is smooth. Has a great sunshade. It is a little heavy to lift into the back of your car, but floats like a cloud with two kiddos! I got mine second-hand from a friend and LOVE IT!
Go to Top of Page

Hannah
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

hannah
sauquoit ny
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  08:12:36 AM  Show Profile
We have a double jogger stroller that we paid a pretty penny for about four years ago. it was definitely worth it. It has extra large wheels that go easily over sand, fields or trails. Not good for shopping malls though. Too hard to manuever through aisles. It has a high handle which my husband also likes and a break and basket underneath and pouches on the backside for storage. I liked it because the straps could adjust to fit a newborn too.
This is the latest version of it. I see the price has gone up too.
http://www.joggingstroller.com/Kelty-Speedster-Deuce.pro
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Double Stroller Advice Wanted Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page