Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Dishtowel Curtains Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  4:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you ever used dishtowels for curtains? I found some colorful vintage looking new cotton dish towels that were inexpensive. I found some of those curtain clips with rings on them. Then I used some bamboo poles that I had extra for staking in my garden, for the rods. I clipped the curtain rings to the edge of the towels and pulled them through on the rods. They look cute hanging above my sink and in the laundry room as half or cafe curtains. Or you could use them as a valance too. Just thought I'd pass this on. The bamboo can be tricky to trim to the length you need, I used a Japanese handsaw. Be very careful using it!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  10:25:28 PM  Show Profile
That does sound cute!!! One time I made a valance with old 1930's and 40's pot holders and that was fun. I have used bolt cutters to cut bamboo poles before..one of my grown sons, a teenager at the time provided the muscle. I think I may have to make some dishtowell curtains for my laundry room.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  06:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Old, hand-embroidered pillowcases make neat cafe curtains too. Little sewing involved, but the embroidery sure gets appreciated that way. :)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  11:04:35 AM  Show Profile
Clothespins! What a great idea!
jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  11:26:20 AM  Show Profile
I saw a picture on the NYTimes of a large bamboo pole used as a curtain rode and seed pods for the finales! So cool!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  11:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I love the dishtowel idea, you can't go wrong! If they get faded now they are repurposed to be dishtowels they were intended to be!

I've used grapevines as the valances and twisted different things into it. Bittersweet for fall, ivy and holly for winter, and dried flowers the rest of the time. Easy to renew or change and it let the light in. I had to discontinue this practice after I brought a batch in that was full of powder post beetle and my husband wanted me beheaded. ! We were able to get rid of it quickly , thank goodness!
Now I am very careful what I bring in! But I did wrap some honeysuckle
vines w/ leaves and flowers over our canopy a few weeks ago and it is drying nicely without dropping. It smelled great when it was fresh!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  2:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I have Dishcloth curtains on my back door, I only needed a small valance and had found some really cute distcloths, I had cut in half and sewn a pocket for the rod, voila! Valance in a motif that fits my house (early Cabin).
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2005 :  02:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Oooo! There is no end to the wonderful ideas you all share! I have about 12 sets of valances for my kitchen. (Don't panic. Only two little windows. A quarter of a yard of fabric does them both nicely. -smile-) They don't get changed nearly as often as I planned, but the trick with clothespins glued to a dowel would help the "take it down, put it up" challenge. Thanks so much!
Peace,
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Dishtowel Curtains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page