Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Question re: Foxfire books/Eliot Wigginton
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Question re: Foxfire books/Eliot Wigginton Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Recently, I happened upon a copy of Foxfire 2 in my library and, for old times sake, I checked it out and enjoyed it very much. So I decided to try to find more Foxfire books. Much to my dismay, I've discovered that sometime during the mid 90's, before I had a computer and was busy working two jobs, raising my son, etc...Mr. Eliot Wigginton was charged, arrested and jailed for child molestation. I am sad and horrified. Does anyone remember this? I've tried to find an article online, but the only place that offered specifics wanted money to read the article. I found a blog written by someone who thinks his conviction makes all those books tainted and worthless. The whole Foxfire experiment in education was such a positive thing back then. And I still marvel on the knowledge in those books/magazines and the skills of the high school children who created them. Did he really do such an awful thing?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:08:24 AM  Show Profile
I didn't hear about anything like that. I, too, loved those books. I think I read them all and tried to impart what I could in my lifestyle at that time. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Feb 13 2007 07:14:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:36:58 AM  Show Profile
I have all the books and love them..the cookbook too. I did hear that he was charged with something like that. THe way I look at it is that all those kids that did the work shouldn't suffer for something the editor did..HE wasn't the whole project..all those teenagers and the old folks in the mountains who had their way of life recordered were the project..so worthwhile. I don't know exactly what the extent of the charges were..but I still love the books.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile
I looked around and found this article that refers to the incident. Not a lot of in depth info, but it does confirm that what you heard is true. How sad.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2424
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the link, Amie. Wow! What an odd sentence - only one year in prison and 19 years probation. So he's still on probation. But I'm really glad that the Foxfire Project itself is still in existence. I got to their website and it looks like they still publish a magazine(I think I'll subscribe) and they have lots of other interesting books and hand made goods to sell.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  06:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I never knew this about Eliot Wigginton. We were vistitng the north Georgia/North Carolina area a year ago and went to the Foxfire Musuem. The gift shop still sells all the books. The place looked a little neglected, but the history of all the cabins that have been moved there and the hand-made mountain crafts were really interesting. The volunteers in the gift shop were mountain people and very nice to chat with, but they volunteer their hours, and I could tell could use more help. I would still suggest a visit if you are in that area. Sad to hear about a good program being compromised, but it continues!

Ephesians 1:17

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 15 2007 06:55:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  08:02:42 AM  Show Profile
What is the website for Foxfire? I'd love to visit it, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  08:48:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
it's: http://www.foxfire.org/.

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Question re: Foxfire books/Eliot Wigginton Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page